Tarot book for 11yr old?

SherryZoned

I am getting my 11 year old step-daughter a tarot deck and book..The question is: What is a good book for an 11 year old?

Thanks

Red Emma

I just bought "Tarot for a New Generation" by Renee for my 13-year-old grandson. I think it's great! It explains the whole Tarot "thing" in straight-forward, easy to understand language. In fact, I like it so well, I just might buy a copy for myself. I particulary like the fact that the card interpretations are given in an understanding-empathetic way. There's not a judgemental phrase in the book.

amyel

I have this book, too, RedWood, and I like it! Might be a little above an 11 y.o., but I suppose it depends on her comprehension level, anyway.

And BTW, the author is from Michigan. Don't know where, though - the profile didn't say.

mysticleopard

Oh goodness..

That's a GREAT age to start.

Don't buy her a book, please. That would start programming all these things into her that you wouldn't want in her. Instead, buy her the deck. Show her how to read a card, let her instinct guide her. Show her how to set up a few spreads. Three cards and what not.. then have her do a reading for you.

Odds are, she'll blow you away.

Then, buy her a journal.. have her record her readings and what she thinks. Have her study the cards. PLEASE don't lock her into a book :) Those build walls, and it takes awhile to learn how to knock those walls down.

mysticleopard

Note..

I'm not saying books are bad. Books ROCK. The problem is that kids already HAVE intuitiveness and creativity programmed into them. They should learn to tap that more. Most good books tend to have a generic theme of "go with it." They're written for adults that have forgotten how to "go with it."

Mystic

Logiatrix

here's a compromise...

going along with mystic's concern, but still accommodating that "book need"...here's two books i thought of: "tarot for yourself" and "tarot games". both of these encourage creativity and self-expression with the cards, while still providing ample (basic) information. also, the book that comes with the inner-child cards is great for kids. a neighbor kid/friend of mine really enjoys that whole set--in fact, he's also eleven now! anyway, i've seen that book at second-hand bookstores.
good luck (what fun for you BOTH!)
:)

Geenius at Wrok

Ugh. Can I vote against "Tarot for Your Self"? No, I thought not. Oh, well, had to ask.

Why not just direct her to www.learntarot.com?