Crowley biographies. Just read Sutin...

Aeon418

How much of his magical achievements are we right to really doubt? It is curious - and admirable - how Kaczynski simply relates and doesn't judge...
I think that is one of the strengths of, Perdurabo, and why it is so engaging and interesting to read. Kaczynski doesn't try to minimize or downplay the fantastical side of the story. He just takes it seriously, plays it straight, and allows the reader to make up their own mind.

In other Crowley biographies that I've read the authors aren't prepared to take this approach. They either hold the subject at arms length (Sutin) or employ a combination of ridicule and dismissive humour (Hutchinson).

Glad you are enjoying it so far, Le Fanu. :)

Le Fanu

I think that is one of the strengths of, Perdurabo, and why it is so engaging and interesting to read. Kaczynski doesn't try to minimize or downplay the fantastical side of the story. He just takes it seriously, plays it straight, and allows the reader to make up their own mind.

In other Crowley biographies that I've read the authors aren't prepared to take this approach. They either hold the subject at arms length (Sutin) or employ a combination of ridicule and dismissive humour (Hutchinson)
Very true. It is extraordinary to read biographical factual data, marriages, meetings, dates, and publications interspersed with magic and apparitions, and like you say, the fantastical.

It slips into the narrative and catches you unaware, disorientates you, makes you ponder...

Always Wondering

No, it's not that big. :laugh:

The approximate dimensions are:

9 inches tall.
6 inches wide.
2 inches thick.

Oh that's not bad. I think I can read it then.

Thanks

AW

Aeon418

Oh that's not bad. I think I can read it then.
If you do get a copy of, Perdurabo, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just bear in mind that the first chapter is a bit of a slog. But after that it becomes a real page-turner. :)

kwaw

Aleister Crowley - Songwriter!

Richard Kaczynski's "Perdurabo" is one I would really like to read - but can't afford books at the moment - I was interested to read a quote from it on another forum about his nationalistic French song La Gauloise:

Crowley had sent a copy of "La Gauloise" ("The Gallic One") - his "England, Stand Fast!" for the French - to Charles de Gaulle and received a flattering letter from de Gaulle's aid... [AC] wanted it broadcast on the BBC, but they insisted it first be put to music. Fortunately, Roy Leffingwell offered his arranging talents... Later in 1942, he received the music ... and arranged for a French baritone to record it. He again retitled the song "L'Etincelle" ("The Spark"), and anonymously sent the recording to the BBC, which played it on December 10.

With the aid of google I also found these tidbits:

Roy Leffingwell* is mentioned in his diaries of 1943 several times here:
http://ztagblab.info/2011/1943/

and entry for March 20 1.50 AM reads : Curious incident- Reading, half asleep. I was somewhere & produced L’etincelle saying: “This is my French song.” A voice, snapping at me: “Translated by Mr Whom?” Amazement woke me fully.

A copy of La Gauloise - Song of the Free French (limited edition of 1000 copies) is online here:
http://www.100thmonkeypress.com/biblio/acrowley/books/la_gauloise1_1942/la_gauloise1_1942.htm

and here:
http://archives.bapho.net/C/C0000257/C0000257.html

And the recording for the BBC is on youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl2_gATgT8s

Kwaw

*Roy E. LEFFINGWELL (b. Michigan) was a composer musician living in Pasadena, Los Angeles where he was a member of the Agape Lodge (becoming Lodge Master in 1946). He is said to have made recordings of W. T. Smith performing the Gnostic Catholic Mass with his (Effingwell's) son-in-law, the recording pioneer Harold Soule c.feb/mar 1939.

Always Wondering

I ordered it.

Don't know how long it will take me to read it though.

But when I get through it I would be happy to send it along to you, Kwaw.

I will go follow your links now.

AW

panpiper

The thing about the new editions that are being released is that they are not exactly new. All of them seem to be photo-facsimile reprints of the original publications, just like the current Weiser edition of, The Book of Thoth.

I've seen a copy of, Magic in Theory and Practice, that claims to be a facsimile of the 1929 edition. And a copy of, Book 4 (Parts 1 & 2), that is a facsimile of the 1913 edition. But surely these are still covered by the OTO's copyright?

Has the OTO decided it's not worth the hassle to enforce their copyright anymore? Or has a loop-hole been found?

Edit: These editions are on sale in the UK and USA.[/QUOTE

Anything PUBLISHED before January 1, 1923 is Public Domain in the US. That includes a large chunk of Crowley's work. For the UK refer to the chart at http://www.museumscopyright.org.uk/private.pdf

Aeon418

Anything PUBLISHED before January 1, 1923 is Public Domain in the US. That includes a large chunk of Crowley's work.
Yes, but that still doesn't cover Magic in Theory and Practice - 1929.

Always Wondering

Perdurabo came in the mail today. I already have a question. What is the Military O. T. O. ?

I think Le Fanu is right in that it is really going to help me understand even the Thoth better. I can already see my chronology was all confused. I just assumed his bisexuality was something he unearthed somewhere in the middle of his spiritual work. In the same vein he doesn't seem all screwed up by his Puritan upbringing, like I was with my Methodist upbringing, which kind of surprised me. He seemed to have a pretty good idea of who he was from the start, at least that's what I got so far.

AW