The Fool's Cliff

BodhiSeed

I've been studying some of the symbolism of the Waite-Smith cards, using various sources. One of the sources suggested the cliff/precipice was the place where the Fool stepped from the spiritual plane into the physical plane. So then I'm wondering if the Fool is the soul...
I also read that the eight-spoked wheels on his tunic represent Spirit, but also the cycle of birth, life, death and rebirth. So then I begin wondering how many times the Fool has stepped off this cliff in another incarnation, and where he might land among the cards this time...

Bodhran

Edited to add: Okay, maybe I've been taking to much cold medicine... :)

Abrac

Hi bodhran-

On the lower right-hand corner of The Fool's garment, there is what appears to be the Hebrew letter Shin, a letter associated with Fire in many cases. Up toward the top near the Fool's right right chest area there is a circle with a flame of fire in it. Considering this, my guess would be that these wheels have some solar significance along with those things you already mentioned.

As far as The Fool being the soul, I can see how he might be. On an archetypal level though, I see him as the "Messenger of the Gods," Thoth/Hermes/Mercury. Just my two cents.

As far as different incarnations, I can see Thoth, Hermes, and Mercury all throughout the whole Tarot. It ain't called the "Book of Thoth" for nuthin'.

BodhiSeed

Thanks for the reply and information Abrac :)!

Bodhran

andrew

I've thought the Fool's cliff more simply as the unknown. The beginning of a journey is always full of unknowns. To approach it as the Fool does can both be a good and a bad thing. For one is the so called "leap of faith" and the other in not looking where you're going.

bigcaat

I always interpret the cliff as "fall or fly?" In my readings I look for the cards to move, and with the fool, it's very significant to me when he steps off the cliff. I either see him falling to earth, or flying.

Where is the journey going to lead? He's headed off somewhere. Does he stay earthbound, landing on the pathway that he has to walk through the valley below, or does he fly, signifying his higher spiritual journey? Is his journey flight or folly? Either way, I agree, he takes a 'leap of faith.'

I've been away from it a long time, but that's my take on the cliff.

Caat

temperlyne

One of the many things the fool represents to me, one of his layers, is incarnation. As opposed to Judgement, where the soul is lifted beyond humanity, and the World, where he is taken up as part of the whole again, the fool is where a piece of the universe becomes human. The materialisation of the soul, or as you said bodhran; the stepping from the spiritual plane to the physical.

Rosanne

I think in this particular deck it is Christian hermeticism. The Cliff is THE FALL and when I see it, it reminds me of the work salvation(not in a Christian but alchemical sense) through my spirit, my soul, and my body. Is the Fool depicted here before the cliff pure as before The Fall, or is he indicating he has got it all together is now completely conscious and will not Fall over. On the other hand I like your analogy of reincarnation- but as I am not sure if I am a new soul or an old soul or even an intermediary soul- I stick with what is here and now. ~Rosanne

caridwen

Reminds me of City of Angels where the angels had to take a leap and then became human.