Alice In Wonderland Playing Cards

HearthCricket

This is so charming and I love Tenniel's artwork. I am about to reread the Alice books, too, so I ended up ordering a pack of both the blue and the red box ones. They are already on their way. I can't wait! :D

cardlady22

Does anyone know if the authors had any number associations in mind when they chose the "themes" for the Alice quotes/pics? It really does seem to intimate a workable oracle system.

Le Fanu gave me the nod to peruse his deck before sending and now I must have my own!

lightbug

I have the red one - anyone know if the red and blue have different quotes/pictures?

:)

Cardlady22, no -there doesn't seem to be any cartomancy relationship that I can tell in these decks. The quotes are of the more absurd type as well.
E.g. : "`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;"

HearthCricket

In spite of Carroll creating the words of a Nonsense Poem, there is truth behind each word and the whole of it does have meaning. There have been many scholarly works translating the poem "Jabberwocky" into understable english. Carroll, himself, gave this description for the first few stanzas:

"The stanza containing lines 1–4 establishes the setting for the story about to be told. Carroll has offered a literal English translation of the passage:

It was evening, and the smooth active badgers were scratching and boring holes in the hill-side: all unhappy were the parrots; and the grave turtles squeaked out. There were probably sun-dials on the top of the hill, and the “borogoves” were afraid that their nests would be undermined. The hill was probably full of the nests of “raths,” which ran out, squeaking with fear, on hearing the “toves” scratching outside. This is an obscure, but deeply-affecting, relic of ancient Poetry.

The first two lines set a scene of lighthearted happiness in which all seems well, but the last two hint at impending doom."

You could almost see this as the equivalent to several tarot cards; the fool, the moon, several sword cards. Again, the deck works more as an oracle, but it does make a lot of sense, especially if you are familiar with his works.

DragonFae

I have just started working with the deck but I think it can work well as an oracle...used intuitively...there's enough variety in the quotations.

Nytebugg

I so need those Alice in Wonderland cards.

cardlady22

Alice in a tin!

Look what popped into my Inbox today:

Prospero Art is proud to announce our latest Alice creation:
the "Alice in Wonderland Embossed Collector Tin"

Limited First Edition ~ Only 3,000 produced

It is offered in three packages:

Package #1 Alice in Wonderland Collector Tin Box ~ with Two Alice Playing Card Decks (Red & Blue Backs)
To see this item or to place an order, copy and paste the following number into the search box at Amazon: B003ZMRGSY

Package #2 Alice in Wonderland Collector Tin Box ~ with a 150 piece Alice Tea Party Jigsaw Puzzle inside.
To see this item or to place an order, copy and paste the following number into the search box at Amazon: B0041OCBK8

Package #3 Alice in Wonderland Collector Tin Box ~ with Two Playing Card Decks and 150 piece Jigsaw Puzzle inside.
To see this item or to place an order, copy and paste the following number into the search box at Amazon: B0041OGQ40

All of these items feature the original John Tenniel illustrations from the First Editions of the Lewis Carroll Alice books.

Thank you!
Prospero Art

rif

And thank you for pointing this out.

Tempting, very tempting. :D