Nature Speaks Oracle-Ted Andrews-Dragonhawk Publishing

Satori

I saw this Oracle at the bookstore yesterday, and bought it. I admit it has taken me by surprise, in a big way. Now let me say I have nothing by Ted Andrews. I have never bought his books, and I don't even know if he has other decks out. Yes quick search would yield an answer to that, but I am not a Ted Andrews devotee, and I wanted that clear from the get go.

This oracle however seems to be a gem. It is so simply designed as to border on moronic. The art is a simple photo, sometimes not even a very great photo, set in an oval picture frame that is centered in the card. Above the photo is the name of the card, below that a keyword or short sentence. The background is a pale sage green, and is soothing.

For example, Daffodil is Trust in your power.
Meadow is Growth & abundance.
Cedar is Protection

You get the idea. I have had great results with this oracle since popping it out of the cellophane. It lends itself to a wide variety of questions, pretty much limitless. If you are a fan of keywords and affirmation cards, you will adore this deck. It is very accessible.

I'm actually trying not to gush. Because I love the darn thing. It isn't the most beautiful deck I own. It isn't the best quality paper, the photography looks pretty much like your basic beginner to intermediate digital with some photoshop thrown in (ie Blue Moon, Sunshine) and Autumn is a downright bad picture, but this oracle really has something going for it!

There is a bigger book with the same name, but I do not have it and don't have any immediate plans to purchase it. For now I have been looking through the companion book that comes in the box with the deck.

But the decks suits my reading style, and I like the choices of keywords and how they correspond to the chosen pictures. If you pick one up let me know how you like it.

BodhiSeed

Hi Satori,
I'm another admirer of this oracle. In fact, I like it even more than his Animal Wise Tarot, probably for the reasons you state - it is very simple yet very accessible. I have both the large book and the little book that comes with the kit. For me, the little book is all I need to interpret the cards. For those who find nature a great teacher, I highly recommend this deck.

Bodhran

Mellifluous

I have it. I think it's OK. Not sure why simple design needs to be exaggerated to the level of "moronic", esp. if you actually like it...

It's a pretty little deck. I like the cardstock. It feels comfortable in your hands very quickly.

Can't say I love it though. Not yet anyway. I think the meanings are rather... ambivalent and foreboding, almost no matter what card you draw. I don't care for that sort of approach.

Also, the booklet is really poor quality. I haven't used it all that much and have already had to tape and glue pages back into it.

Satori

Well I have been known to get carried away.
I meant moronic in the sense that it is so simple as to be....overlooked because of it's seemingly bland nature. So perhaps moronic is too strong...

Yes, I really think it is a pretty little deck, and has given some great readings so far. I like it, alot.

zannamarie

I didn't realize this deck existed.

I have the big book and use it when I run across something that seems to catch my eye in nature. Sort of like the oracle without the cards. :D

I may have to go check out the cards.

And actually, I just realized I came across something recently in nature that I should go check in the book. ;)

[zannamarie heads off to her bookshelf...]

Mellifluous

Wow. Took me forever to find this thread again just now for some reason. lol

I pulled Nature-Speak out again tonight to figure out what I want to do about it or with it. I've decided not to use the book again. Hurrah!

Just spent some time with the cards on their own, and yeah, I'll chime in now with an 'I love it', too. :D It's got a way more comfortable vibe if you just go with the cards.

Plus, I think like his Animal-Wise tarot, it's probably a great opportunity/tool for more intuitive-style readings. The photographs are lovely and I like the simplicity and the green. :)

Asher

On a whim...

I picked up this deck today. I have the Animal-Speak Tarot by the same author, and like it, though I don't use it much. I am getting more and more into oracles these days, and I like this one. It is unlike any that I have...it combines trees, flowers, landscapes and climate with lovely photographs. Key words are simple and evocative, and I think this will be a nice oracle to use , and to incorporate into my Tarot readings.

The guidebook seems well-written and informative. Do any of you have the full length _Nature-Speak_? If so, what do you think of it? The bookstore did not have it, so I couldn't look through it. Is it repetitive or does it add significantly more information? It seems as though it would be a nice reference book.

Asher

Satori

I ended up trading this deck away, and now I'm looking for it. This is what happens when you let some things go, but I thought I had had enough of it and I put in a Valentine train package I think.

Anyway, I heard through the grapevine that Ted Andrews died, and now I'm sort of trying to find some of his decks before they all go OOP and get expensive. They actually all may already be OOP. Not sure.

lightbug

I'm not a Ted Andrews fan either (meaning have never read his books, etc.) and I was initially put off by the simplistic and somewhat "ugly" style of the Nature Speaks Oracle. (Many of the pictures are beautiful but the design layout gets to me.)

This deck has really grown on me. I have found it really EERILY on point and the simple unclouded messages are lovely. Seems to be many ways to use this deck - (even to create simple sentences for your guidance) all of which work! -

I find this is one of the first decks I pull out if I need to check in with myself.

I love it :)

ETA: :( OH gosh yes... I just looked it up and Ted Andrews died on October 24th of this year! So sad!
I want to get the animal speaks deck as well -- I think he did a NEW deck this year but can't think of the name of it.