Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

G6

Barbara Moore/Llewellyn - Steampunk Tarot

Barbara Moore/Llewellyn - Steampunk Tarot

Some reviews on Amazon complain about the super copy paper thin/cheap Llewellyn stock. Such a bummer that this one is published by Llewellyn. I really like the imagery, but I'll likely feel the same that the cardstock sucks.

Anybody talk me in or out of this from experience with the deck?

🙏🏻

G6

Le Fanu

yes it's flimsy - but if you really like a deck, I guess you can overlook that. I do this with the Modern Spellcaster's - it's flimsy but I just use it delicately once every couple of months...

Cons for me are the pages - nope - they don't work for me. Boyish girls. I'd rather it be one or the other. Plus the theme is a bit dated now, isn't it?

And it isn't really as opulently mechanical as one would expect. If you like Steampunk, you need lots of brass and cogs and mahogany. This is a sort of cut price Steampunk. Sort of Steampunk on a budget.

sibbysgirl

Steampunk

I was recommended this deck by many here, just got it, and everyone was right. It's a great deck! It reads like a dream. I happen to like the bulk of the images very much. The card stock is really meh, but the book is great, and Amazon has it at around $16 right now, so I think it's worth it.

Citrin

Thoughts on the Steampunk Tarot? I'm hesitant because it is a Llewellyn deck. Is the cardstock total thin/cheap crap?

If you really hate Llewellyn card stock and it's a dealbreaker for you, then well, no this one is not "better". ;) I personally really LIKE their thin card stock. The thing with this deck is that the borders are black, so when the edges get a bit worn out it's more visible. I have edged mine black, easy way to make it look better and the wear is not as visible. :)

Sophia77

Epic Tarot

Any thoughts on the Epic Tarot? On the fence and wondering if anyone reads with it or has it.

G6

Steampunk Tarot - Moore

yes it's flimsy - but if you really like a deck, I guess you can overlook that. I do this with the Modern Spellcaster's - it's flimsy but I just use it delicately once every couple of months...

Cons for me are the pages - nope - they don't work for me. Boyish girls. I'd rather it be one or the other. Plus the theme is a bit dated now, isn't it?

And it isn't really as opulently mechanical as one would expect. If you like Steampunk, you need lots of brass and cogs and mahogany. This is a sort of cut price Steampunk. Sort of Steampunk on a budget.

I do like the imagery, so I'm debating if I like the imagery enough to deal with crap cardstock.

The pages don't bother me, but if they wanted to mix it up I'd rather the pages are guys and the knights are girls.

I don't like the imagery in the other steampunk decks.

G6

Steampunk Tarot - Moore

If you really hate Llewellyn card stock and it's a dealbreaker for you, then well, no this one is not "better". ;) I personally really LIKE their thin card stock. The thing with this deck is that the borders are black, so when the edges get a bit worn out it's more visible. I have edged mine black, easy way to make it look better and the wear is not as visible. :)

Llewellyn cardstock has been a total disappointment for their more recent decks. Just too thin/cheap. Poor quality. Zero durability. This seems like a great deck on imagery alone.

G6

Steampunk Tarot - Moore

I was recommended this deck by many here, just got it, and everyone was right. It's a great deck! It reads like a dream. I happen to like the bulk of the images very much. The card stock is really meh, but the book is great, and Amazon has it at around $16 right now, so I think it's worth it.

Yep, I like the imagery. Does it read like an RWS clone or is there more story in the images?