LWB question: spread instructions

Metafizzypop

Thanks all--I'll see what I can do! When I do my own readings it's usually with the CC, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am coming up with a custom layout, but it will be an interesting exercise at the very least!

I'd like to suggest an option, if I may. How about asking other people to create some spreads? You can have a contest, in fact. Let people submit their original steampunk-related spreads to you. And then you pick the winner, the one you like best. And they would get credit in the LWB for having invented the spread. And maybe a copy of the deck, or whatever you feel is appropriate.

There's lots of people here who invent their own spreads, so you'd probably get lots of good stuff.

ematuskey

That's an interesting idea, Meta, but it is fraught with peril. ;)

First off, there's the issue of ownership--everyone who has worked on the deck has signed a contract before they started asserting that I own the finished work--this was necessary in case I ever decide to sell the deck, or want to do something else with the artwork (t-shirts etc). Having someone create something and then essentially license it to me complicates that process, even if the creator was willing to sign a very broad contract.

Second is the whole compensation issue: I have some issue with asking for work without paying for it--and there are many examples of the community rightly coming down on people who ask for free contributions to a product they intend to sell. As I'm out of budget for new assets, I would only be able to offer something like free decks--which just doesn't sit well with me.

Does that make sense?

Metafizzypop

Yes, that does make sense. I didn't know there were others who had worked on the deck, as you mention. Sounds like you've got a complicated process going on already there.

Well, it was just a thought. And best of luck with the deck!

ematuskey

Yeah--my design, but I've hired artists to draw them. ;)

And thanks--it's almost (finally) done!

blue_fusion

You could maybe re-name it as a Celtic Sprocket Spread, which, depending on how one pronounces it, would sound rather alliterative, while at the same time referencing Steampunk. :D Or maybe use other "common" types of spreads, like past-present-future (which I don't think is covered by copyright because the ideas is something I think anybody can think up), and maybe play around with them and their titles. Like, given Steampunk's anachronistic nature, you could jumble it up into something like present-future-past, and give a particular twist on why it's sequenced that way. Just really randomly thinking up ideas here. :D

And kudos to you and your artists - the art looks very consistent and cohesive even if different people created them.

ematuskey

Thanks Blue! One of my biggest fears, when I realized that I couldn't use just one artist, was that the pieces would be jarringly different in style. Thankfully, you and others have made it clear that this is not the case. ;)

I've thought of modifying the CC into the "Gear & Lever" layout, since, if you squint, the first part of the CC is kind of gear-like...!

blue_fusion

Thanks Blue! One of my biggest fears, when I realized that I couldn't use just one artist, was that the pieces would be jarringly different in style. Thankfully, you and others have made it clear that this is not the case. ;)

I've thought of modifying the CC into the "Gear & Lever" layout, since, if you squint, the first part of the CC is kind of gear-like...!

That sounds great. You could even put an overall spin on why the "lever" cards act like a lever in the spread and the gears as gears. :)

ematuskey

I knew that English degree would come in useful some day! :D

Barleywine

I sometimes think of it as a "Stick-amd-Wheel" spread like the old children's hoop-rolling game. But I see the "stick" more as "guiding" the "wheel" than "levering" it. Sometimes events just "roll along" and people have to adapt or adjust.

Attachments

• Hoop Rolling 4.gif
    Hoop Rolling 4.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 121

gregory

That's an interesting idea, Meta, but it is fraught with peril. ;)

First off, there's the issue of ownership--everyone who has worked on the deck has signed a contract before they started asserting that I own the finished work--this was necessary in case I ever decide to sell the deck, or want to do something else with the artwork (t-shirts etc). Having someone create something and then essentially license it to me complicates that process, even if the creator was willing to sign a very broad contract.

Second is the whole compensation issue: I have some issue with asking for work without paying for it--and there are many examples of the community rightly coming down on people who ask for free contributions to a product they intend to sell. As I'm out of budget for new assets, I would only be able to offer something like free decks--which just doesn't sit well with me.

Does that make sense?
There are plenty of people here who would do you a free spread in return for a deck. I even might... ;)