Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

Debra

Does anyone have a natural insect repellent we can use on our skin instead of DEET?

There are chiggers in the woods behind the house. They are almost microscopic but boy, they know what they're doing. They drill little holes in your ankles, inject some hideous chemicals, and then go away. Four or five hours later, little blisters all over, itch like hell-- for a long time. Like, weeks.

The pharmacist and the internet both say (it must be true!) that the bugs don't live in the skin or lay eggs there.

I can live with the itching but it's prevention I'm worried about.

olori

One that I have used quite a bit for strong gas pains due to the flu or diarrehea is Thyme Tea. You can either use powdered thyme or leafed. With the powdered I bring water to a boil and pour over leaves or 1 tsp. of the powdered spice and let steep for 20 minutes.

Another is - I take cream soap and empty out a 1/4 of the bottle and pour in Olive Oil and fill to the top and shake up well. This works really well for dry skin. Now that I do this I can't bring myself to go back to just using the cream soap alone. It just wouldn't be the same.

Teacups

TomTom said:
In regard to magnesium, ionized liquid magnesium straight out of the bottle is absorbed right away by the body.
Magnesium is good for all muscles, including the heart.
Zinc is helpful as well.
I like Penaten for everything that is skin irritation.

:heart: TomTom

I can't live without the magnesium. I used to get "leg twitchies" otherwise known as "restless leg syndrome". I've even seen ads on TV for a prescription for this (so scarey to think...) and one magnesium capsule takes care of the problem of restless legs within 15 minutes. Then husband and I can both get sleep, I don't feel like I'm tapdancing, and he doesn't get kicked

Also, just squeezed my last batch of elderberry tincture today. It should last all winter. At the first sign of a sore throat, we take about a tablespoon mixed with cranberry (or breakfast type juice, but not orange juice=ick) and it nips that cold in the bud

olori

Debra said:
Does anyone have a natural insect repellent we can use on our skin instead of DEET?

There are chiggers in the woods behind the house. They are almost microscopic but boy, they know what they're doing. They drill little holes in your ankles, inject some hideous chemicals, and then go away. Four or five hours later, little blisters all over, itch like hell-- for a long time. Like, weeks.

The pharmacist and the internet both say (it must be true!) that the bugs don't live in the skin or lay eggs there.

I can live with the itching but it's prevention I'm worried about.

Hi Debra,

UP here in British Columbia we use a herb called Tansy. It grows in the wild in the lower mainland. You can take the leaves and rub them all over you. I am unsure if you can use this for Chiggers, but this works really well for Mosquito's.
Tansy has quite a strong smell when the leaves are bruised, but it is worth it!
I sure that you can get it down in your area.

Debra

Thanks for the tansy tip! I work at a shop that stocks herbs--I'll ask the boss about it when the weather gets warm again. Much appreciated.

Red Emma

Further tips, anyone, losing weight with vinegar?

I seem to have come to a relentless plateau in my weight loss program, I hoped that the vinegar (apple cider type) would get me started again. I've taken two teaspoons a day in 16 oz of water (sipping, not chugging) for about two weeks without any success.

Are there further suggestions?

LeaRoseQuartz

Hi Emma! I've been taking apple cider vinegar, also. I put 2 tsps. in half a cup of unsweetened apple juice, then followed by another half a cup of juice, to get the taste out of my mouth and to settle my stomach. I do this 3 times a day (every 8 hours). I've lost some weight, but my eating habits are out of control. They say the vinegar works, but I need to watch my diet alot more. I've always had severe depression all my life and find that I eat to make myself feel better. But, of course, lol, that then makes me feel worse! I also need to exercise. Walking everyday is a good way. Well, I'm going to try harder, so I'll be happier in the spring! You hang in there! I'll be thinking about you! Lea

Red Emma

Top five home remedies

Thanks, Lea,

Depression is one of my big hurdles, too. Because of it, my M.D. changed me from St. Johns Wort as an antidepressant to Prozac. That helped as I was depressed less often, thus less tempted to eat unwisely.

My biggest weight loss came about half-way through the post traumatic stress treatment, EMDR. The weight just started dropping away. That stopped after I'd lost about 1/2 as much as was needed. Now I have to do the rest cold-turkey. (Sigh). I hoped that the vinegar would help, even a little bit.

Lots of good luck -- and a whole lot less depression.

Emma

LeaRoseQuartz

Hi Emma! Thank you! I like your name! My grandaughter's name is Emma Rose Joyce. Joyce is my real name. What is EMDR? For depression, I just started taking evening primrose. I've taken st. john's wort, also, with no results. Also, I've tried countless medications from doctors. None of them worked for me. Side effects from some of them were, I litterly couldn't get off the couch (thorazine), blood in my eye (impramine, and it left a red vein in it), and prozac (panic feeling, angry, a tugging in my throat and when I used salt, even a little was too much). Also, they all made me gain weight! My daughter takes prozac and says it helps her. I'm glad to hear, that it's helping you. Good luck to you, also! Lea

Red Emma

Home remedies

EMDR, the treatment for post tramautic stress, stands for Eye Movement, then a word I can't remember -- something like, but a lot gentler than Destruction, -- then Rebuilding.

It's been three or four years but I kind of remember it this way: Trauma, such as any terrifying experience, like war, child abuse, and the like, leave negative energy trapped in the Old Brain. There's a better name, and a scientific name, for this part of the brain, but I just don't remember tonight. Kind of tired, I guess.

Anyhow the Eye Movement seems to get the two parts of the brain to work together, and the negative energy can be (mostly) dislodged. That's the 'Destruction' part. The therapist then works with the client to Rebuild.

It's not fun, but its a lot better than the constant battering of depression and other mental instabilities. Also, several of my physical problems kind of melted away. Like a whole lot of weight, and other maladies I prefer not to think about let alone talk about.

My lesson for today.

Lots of good luck.

Emma