GD Temple Tarot

Barleywine

I would say the Golden Dawn was "premature" rather than "incorrect" (or maybe the qualifier "in light of current - that is, 21st-century - knowledge" would be closer). Their assumptions were a product of their time and the knowledge available to them (which was more observational than technical, it seems to me). The digital age and advances in printing technology have completely changed the landscape. "Incorrect" makes me think of the cave-men gyrating around the inscrutable obelisk in the old 2001: A Space Odyssey scene.

Richard

The only troublesome thing is that their three primary colors were supposed to be a perfect analogy to the three fundamental elements of the Sefer Yetzirah: Air (yellow), Water (blue), and Fire (red). This analogy was the basis for their color scales. Now that the three theoretically correct primary colors are known, the color scales need to be revised.

Barleywine

The only troublesome thing is that their three primary colors were supposed to be a perfect analogy to the three fundamental elements of the Sefer Yetzirah: Air (yellow), Water (blue), and Fire (red). This analogy was the basis for their color scales. Now that the three theoretically correct primary colors are known, the color scales need to be revised.

Yes, I understand. But somehow a magenta Mars seems a little too "prissy" for me. I don't think I'd get out of its way. Maybe offer it a latte.

Richard

Yes, I understand. But somehow a magenta Mars seems a little too "prissy" for me. I don't think I'd get out of its way. Maybe offer it a latte.

Agreed. After futzing around with the color scales for a few days, I finally gave up. I don't know what the Wendrichs have done, but I'm curious.

Here is the Mars card. Definitely red, not magenta.

Attachments

• mars.jpg
    mars.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 108

Barleywine

Agreed. After futzing around with the color scales for a few days, I finally gave up. I don't know what the Wendrichs have done, but I'm curious.

Here is the Mars card. Definitely red, not magenta.

Yep, I've learned that the three main colors (magenta, cyan and yellow) can be combined to make any color under the Sun (and even stand in for depleted black ink). To an artist schooled in oils, temperas and watercolors, it's nothing short of marvelous.