just got a old book

newstar13

its tarot for the millions by sidney bennett . put out by sherbourne press,

6 Haunted Days

Oh my god, I have that too! Have you read it?! The things he says in there are mind-boggling sexist!! I wasn't sure whether to laugh or throw the book out the whole time I was reading it.

His interpertations and advice are useless and very rigid, and of course sexist. It's only use is as a curious artifact when only men could have careers and women's highest ideal was snagging a man and catering to his every need.

I'm not exaggerating with the above, his meanings clearly teach this! :laugh:

Grizabella

I haven't heard of that one. Does it have a publication date?

newstar13

yes 1967

Grizabella

Well, being published back then, I'm sure it may seem sexist to more "modern" people, but back then, the whole world was sexist.

There surely must be some good things in there aside from the way it naturally reflects the author's upbringing. :) Did you find any of it to be interesting otherwise?

My thoughts about it, not having read it but knowing when it was written and what the title of the book is, would be that it was probably written with the goal in mind of bringing tarot "out of the closet" and into the mainstream. I'll have to look it up in the used bookstores online and see what I can find out. Maybe I can find a copy. It would be interesting to take a look at it. :)

6 Haunted Days

Nope, beside the sexist stuff it was devoted to fortune-telling. Like...the 3 of Cups means a dark business man is coming into your life.

I'm quite aware of how things were back then, but every interpertation is riddled with it, I have no idea why he was so focused on it. And besides all that it's just a bad Tarot book, certainly enough of those around. I have tons of books on tarot and always try to at least find something interesting or a tidbit, but some are just horrible all around.

Oh yes, it's one of those books written by someone who was a psychic for the stars type. Lots of claims "testimonials"....you know those 50's/60's type books.

Grizabella

Kind of like "you will meet a tall dark stranger" stuff?

What do you think of the book, newstar13? Have you had a chance to read it yet?

6 Haunted Days

I'll try and find it, and post a few cards....I think it was the Empress that was really bad. Or maybe newstar wants too ;)

Oh he also has a section on playing cards with some meanings.

Yes, it's the tall dark stranger type angle.

thorhammer

Hehehe, a little OT, but not really . . . at a recent Expo here in Perth I had a reading from a woman who must have learnt exclusively from this guy . . . she was hopeless. Told me I'd be moving addresses, though. Pity I'd already signed the lease, though, or I might have been impressed . . . :D Lots about a guy with light brown hair and hazel eyes who's a Water sign (Knight of cups) coming into my life, that sort of thing. No money. She knew I'd heard her tell that to the last client })

\m/ Kat