Nonbinary significator?

noctiluca

Hullo, all! I'm super new to and super psyched about the Lenormand system; it feels a lot like learning a language, which I enjoy, so I've been having a blast.

I got the Seeker's Lenormand (along with the Earthbound Oracle) as a Kickstarter reward a couple weeks ago and am absolutely adoring it -- it came with a mini version, which I imagine will come in handy when I work my way up to pulling a Grand Tableau! I also got myself the Blue Bird today for the built-in cheat sheet.

Anyway, I'm curious as to which card you all use for the significator if you or your querent are trans, non-binary, or gender neutral?

AnemoneRosie

This sticking point has kept me from learning Lenormand since I can't read for myself. I hope that you find your answers!

danieljuk

I think you can pick any card you choose to as your significator. Look up it's significance and pick the one that fits you because we are a varied and diverse people. This has also been a huge problem and also choosing a card to represent a lover for someone LGBT, same sex or gender neutral!

I have thought about this in my own life a lot as an androgynous person and I pick the Man to represent me and Woman to look out for, for a partner. I am looking for a guy but I am okay with the concept that the opposite card represents a partner, it's not literal. Other people get offended by that so I always ask what would fit them best in a reading :)

Someone posted a thread on here in recent years who is making a non-binary deck but I think it's in early stages. Also some decks have extra cards or a blank card, you can use them if it helps. Chronata's Minute Lenormand has a Fortune Teller card which represents me better than man or woman cards! Some nonbinary folk use the blank spare card in the deck. But you could replace it with any card you want!

You could also combine decks if you wanted two men, two women, whatever.

I think there are already a few decks with different cards for different people but this will become easier I think with some on the horizon with different nonbinary ideas. But for now it's a matter of working out how it works best for you :)

Amanda

Non-binary... perhaps the Heart -- like, just another beating heart in this world. Or perhaps Lily, because that's a bit of a catch-all card, but it tends to give me a sensation of purity/clarity; like no extremely defining factors.

Barleywine

The Burning Serpent Oracle - basically a Lenormand deck with a few visionary twists - actually has three sets of human significator cards: two Man cards, two Woman cards and extra Osiris and Isis cards that are supposed to represent the "higher" nature of the Man and the Woman but could be used for other purposes.

HighPriestess

I usually ask them to pick a card they feel represents them. Some people choose the card that best represents their issue, others are like "I want to be the Tree" and that's fine. The Enchanted Lenormand has a "Diviner" card that I like to use because it's supposed to represent Mlle. Lenormand but to me the person looks very androgynous.

onesun

There's some forward thinking being done with traditional format: Some of the awesome antique resto's produced at http://gameofhopelenormand.bigcartel.com have two sets of mens/ladies..

I figure some little bit of time yet before the corp figureheads find out it's actually to their favor to address ALL of their market.

Barleywine

I usually ask them to pick a card they feel represents them. Some people choose the card that best represents their issue, others are like "I want to be the Tree" and that's fine. The Enchanted Lenormand has a "Diviner" card that I like to use because it's supposed to represent Mlle. Lenormand but to me the person looks very androgynous.

Since I prefer the GT to smaller spreads, all of the topic or focus areas are represented in the spread anyway, so I usually shape the reading around which ones are of most interest to the querent, starting with the personal significator.

noctiluca

Thanks so much for all of your recommendations and advice!

AnemoneRosie, I'm sorry to hear that your Lenormand studies have been so stymied; I hope one of these suggestions resonates with you!

starstruck

pixie's hidden lenormand

The OOP 1st edition of pixie's hidden lenormand had a second man and woman card, but unfortunately the mass-produced version of US Games removed those. I like the new mass produced one, as many images have been changed. But I have the same problem as the OP, I don't see myself reading with one man and one woman card. It's a shame
US Game hasn't picked up on this.