Knighting in GT

RAphrodite

Hello everyone,

I am struggling a bit with knighting, and wanted to discuss the diffeerent techniques people use for knighting. I know how one card knights another, but how do you read the story? I either read the two cards on the same row (with houses) as short sentences that need to be joined up with the other sentences in a coherent way. OR, again, the knighted cards on the left are the past influences, and on the right are future projections.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Barleywine

Hello everyone,

I am struggling a bit with knighting, and wanted to discuss the diffeerent techniques people use for knighting. I know how one card knights another, but how do you read the story? I either read the two cards on the same row (with houses) as short sentences that need to be joined up with the other sentences in a coherent way. OR, again, the knighted cards on the left are the past influences, and on the right are future projections.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

I think I may have mostly answered your question in the other thread, but the idea of linking sentences and not just significator or topic cards is another extension that I hadn't considered (although in retrospect I have used it in relationship spreads). It puts the whole complex into motion, perhaps making the knighted card a kind of linchpin for the otherwise divergent influences. Thanks for formalizing the idea for me.

RAphrodite

I think I may have mostly answered your question in the other thread, but the idea of linking sentences and not just significator or topic cards is another extension that I hadn't considered (although in retrospect I have used it in relationship spreads). It puts the whole complex into motion, perhaps making the knighted card a kind of linchpin for the otherwise divergent influences. Thanks for formalizing the idea for me.

Ah thank you for the feedback Barley wine. I thought my approach was a bit complicated, hence was hoping other members had a more direct way of reading it. Oh well. A question of practice, I guess.

Barleywine

Ah thank you for the feedback Barley wine. I thought my approach was a bit complicated, hence was hoping other members had a more direct way of reading it. Oh well. A question of practice, I guess.

Knighting certainly can be complicated. Depending on where the focus card lies in the layout, it can have up to eight knighting opportunities, so some other form of ranking has to be applied to determine which ones are more important.

RAphrodite

Knighting certainly can be complicated. Depending on where the focus card lies in the layout, it can have up to eight knighting opportunities, so some other form of ranking has to be applied to determine which ones are more important.
Other form of ranking, for example?

Barleywine

Other form of ranking, for example?

We already talked about common or shared knighting between two significators. Another example might be knighting between cards that are touching the two significators.

Let's say we have the line Man + Heart + Woman. We can look at the cards the Heart knights to as a way of exploring what kind of "side -issues" might be at work in the relationship. It would be a very different story if the Heart knighted to the Clouds, the Snake, the Whip and the Mountain than if it knighted to the Sun, the Ring, the Bouquet and the Clover. The pattern could be seen as a secondary overlay to the knighting array between the actual significators. In fact, it might even be more relevant. There could even be a few shared knighting combinations in that set-up, linking the three cards in interesting ways beside proximity to one another.

The houses underlying the cards involved in the knighting array is another possibility. If there is some commonality between top cards and house cards among them, I would see that as an indication of increased importance for those particular cards.

The positive-neutral-negative nature of the various cards could also be brought into play. If there is more positive knighting than negative, that could be an encouraging sign that nothing uncomfortable is going on beneath the surface.

Village Witch

I love knighting. I find I gain a wealth of information from knighting.

I link the cards knighted starting from the top left of the focus card, the two cards knighting to the left, bottom, and right, and then the top right. I hope I'm making sense.

RAphrodite

I love knighting. I find I gain a wealth of information from knighting.

I link the cards knighted starting from the top left of the focus card, the two cards knighting to the left, bottom, and right, and then the top right. I hope I'm making sense.
Ah, i think it does make sense. The card on the right top is the last card to be read and most probably the future.

RAphrodite

We already talked about common or shared knighting between two significators. Another example might be knighting between cards that are touching the two significators.

Let's say we have the line Man + Heart + Woman. We can look at the cards the Heart knights to as a way of exploring what kind of "side -issues" might be at work in the relationship. It would be a very different story if the Heart knighted to the Clouds, the Snake, the Whip and the Mountain than if it knighted to the Sun, the Ring, the Bouquet and the Clover. The pattern could be seen as a secondary overlay to the knighting array between the actual significators. In fact, it might even be more relevant. There could even be a few shared knighting combinations in that set-up, linking the three cards in interesting ways beside proximity to one another.

The houses underlying the cards involved in the knighting array is another possibility. If there is some commonality between top cards and house cards among them, I would see that as an indication of increased importance for those particular cards.

The positive-neutral-negative nature of the various cards could also be brought into play. If there is more positive knighting than negative, that could be an encouraging sign that nothing uncomfortable is going on beneath the surface.
Thanks for that. I think I explained in the other thread just niw how I use house cards. But I see how you're bringing Knighting into it. When I tried the method, say heart bring in the past, it gave me past issues between querent and their significant other. But reading the story with associated Houses and cards which was on the other end of the GT told me the rest of the story.

I have to say, I like reading the cards linearly.

I think I'll draw a new GT and use an old GT from Jan, and use your method as an exercise to glean what I can from them.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, appreciate it.

Barleywine

I just had another thought on what I call "knighting arrays." If the significator is centrally located in the GT such that all eight knighting opportunities are populated, it reminds me of a "spider-web." Each link is like an open channel to the central focus point, so - like a bug landing on the outer strand of a web that telegraphs its presence to the spider - a card that's important to the situation (and the house it's in) populating one of the knighting points brings that strand into elevated importance. So you get a set of two-card vignettes (and perhaps longer chains if there are other significant connections beyond the first one) that give a little more movement to the picture. The same thing happens if you take the near/far method out far enough, but with more layers between the cards it can get more cluttered and attenuated; I see it as a kind of "leap-frog" that gets right to the point. This is especially useful in a relationship readings where you have two significators that often interconnect via knighting in revealing ways.