Lenormand meanings! and rhime translation (well, sort of...) :)

Dwaas

Not sure if this is the right forum... Moderators please feel free to move it if needed. Thanks.

For all those outside Europe who may find it hard to translate the meanings of the Belgium/Dutch Lenormand cards and especially for Fulgour :) I tried to make a translations of the Lenormand cards which are most common, the one with the rhimes on it.
http://www.emerchandise.nl/catalog/popup_image.php/pID/84

Mind you, I am not a very well translator but I thought it is at least something. To be honest, after reading it myself I must say my English looks horrid LOL. At my defend I can say that the poems are not the best selection of Dutch poetry... :) Also did not meant to say that all meanings are covered but I tried to give an overall view of the 36 cards. You should also take notice that there are more Lenormand(like) decks out there (check the wonderful Piatnik one!) without the rhimes but with the same meanings.
I hope I did at least a few of you a pleasure with this.
Also I hope that anyone who has more knowledge of the cards AND translation will please add to this thread. Thanks in advance! :)
Blessings

1. Ruiter - Horseman - Messages, news

Do you see the horseman ride in galop? He will bring you good news. Let us investigate. Where does it come from?

2. Klaverbladen - Clovers - Luck, hope, success

These beautiful cloverleaves, announce luck to stay, if there is no danger of the clouds nearby

3. Schip - Ship - Travels, leaving, finances

The ship is always a good sign, it will tell you for sure, lucky travels and gains, maybe an inheritance

4. Huis - Home - Home circumstances, prosperity

This house here speaks of whealth, and of being happy. But it also says: don't judge, friends, too easy to what only shimmers through

5. Boom - Tree - Health, health of the mind

A tree far away: good health, but illnes when near. Many trees together are a prosperous sign

6. Wolken - Clouds - Obstacles

The dark side of the clouds is a stirring view but at the side of the blue skies life is bright

7. Slang - Snake - Bad luck, betrayal, jalousy, lies

The snake is something horrible, guard your body and belongings from betrayers and treacherers, stay always on your guard

8. Kist - Coffin - End, death, going down (like the roman empire or greek civilisation going down in the end)

A coffin is a bad signal, decay or illnes or death. But when the coffin is far away the danger will be lesser

9. Ruiker - Bouquet - Gift, love, good luck

That lovely bouquet of flowers, clean and fresh speaks only of happy matters, and not of sadness

10. Zeisen - Scythes - Danger, a sudden end, end of relationship between people and/or matter

O fear, when the scythes are close around you, and hope that a good surrounding will beat the bad.

11. Roede - Rod - Envy, strive, fight, conflicts, illnes

The rod never brings joy, with bad luck in your firebox, with illnes or with envy she travels

12. Vogels - Birds - Difficulties, thoughts, Inspiration, a journey

Short sadness/pain do the birds tell that are close, but when further away they tell that your travels will be prosperous

13. Kindje - Child - A child, company, protection, trust

This child speaks of friendship which will enlighten your life, and it will hail your goodness and will to help

14. Vosje - Fox - Treachery, no trust, shrewd

Be careful, so says the little fox, shrewd and (fijn? definitely not fine...) don't trust too easily the ones around you

15. Beer - Bear - Mother, power, good luck

The coarse bear is a messenger of hail and happyness, but beware he says, for envy and anger

16. Ster - Star - Luck, success, gain, birth, promotion

A star is always a good sign as long as she is bright and is at a blue sky without any clouds nearby

17. Ooievaar - Stork - Moving, change, outdoors

Change, moving, announced by the stork, unless it is a bit far away from you

18. Hond - Dog - Friendship, alertness

The dog is a faithfull one, the friendly translator, when he is near you and far away from the cloud

19. Toren - Tower - Cirkle of life, business, government

The tower is the sign that hail is awaiting you, if the clouds do not gather thunder and lightning above it

20. Tuin - Garden - Creativity, surroundings, harmony, visitors

Anyone who nears this garden will find good friends, and for anyone away the friendship will become a danger

21. Berg - Mountain - Obstacles, enemy, working against someone

The mountain is an enemy which will bring you sorrow, if no loyal friendship will bring you firm support

22. Weg - Road/crossings - Making choices, decision taking, all may take a while

A road in shadows of the clouds is a sign of bad luck, but there is hope if there is a distance between you, the road and the clouds.

23. Muizen - Mice - Loss, theft

The mice kome and tell that theft has happened, what is lost will come back to you, perhaps, and perhaps not...

24. Hart - Heart - Love, tenderness

Of goodness and love, the heart is the clear well, and on life's roads the happy warm sun

25. Ring - Ring - Marriage, relationship, bonding, celebrating a relationship

Of a happy marriage the ring speaks when at your right hand, but at the left hand it foretells fights and cutting-through the bond of love

26. Boek - Book - Secret, study, unforseen happenings

This book is here to tell a secret in your existance, let us, to discover it, have a look at the cards

27. Brief - Letter - News, documents, official papers

This letter promises a sure and big happyness/luck, if the appearance of the cloud does not take that away from you

28. Heer - Lord - Husband, partner, vriend

This is the king of cards. The Lord brings happyness or sorrow, depending on good or worse signs around him

29. Vrouw - Lady - Wife, partner, friend

This is the prettiest of cards, she is for sure, the Lady. May she bring you good prosperity, a life without mourning

30. Lelie - Lily - An older person, the father, protection, luck

The lily speaks of innocence, a happy travel through life, if the dark cloud does not get so close to it.

31. Zonne - Sun - Optimism, luck, fortune, intuition

If the happy sun smiles at you in a profit way then for sure your life will never look like a sombre night

32. Maantje - Moon - Success in society, emotions

If the friendly little moon shines on you from nearby then it fortells a speed carreer, then fame and honour are awaiting you

33. Sleutel - Key - For sure, a new start

If this key may be close at your side then your life will be as you wished for

34. Vissen - Fish - Money, gain, making more

By the sign of the fish you will get prosperity, if the card, at least, is laid in a profit position

35. Anker - Anchor - Hope, securities, a haven

The anchor! May thou hope for prosperity and for loyalty, but when far away then your heart is only "lauw" (between warm and cold, more on the cold side, indifferent in this case?)

36. Kruis - Cross - Faith, karma, working against

The cross is a foretelling of bad luck of different kind, the further away the worse, when close it tells short sorrow

Dwaas

Ah, and how does it work??

Well, you should use all the cards in one spread

First of all, take out the Lord and the Lady and ask your querent with who they feel most connected. In earlier days the Lord was for men and the Lady for women but why not give our querents a modern choice?

Then put these cards in the deck again, shuffle and make four rows of nine cards (that's how I learned, sure there are other ways as well) and then it begins.

All the cards have their different meanings but these meanings depend highly on where the cards are in relations with each other and if they are close to the querents card. And thats where the real meanings and (some of) the rhimes come in. If your choice is to relate all the cards you can tell stories for ever, but perhaps it is wise to make a choice for just a few matters, like where is the tower for work, where is the ring for love, etc. Mind that the clouds are very very important as a possible negative factor and the clovers and the bouquet as possible positive factores.
Have fun!
Blessings

Fulgour

Hallo :) Dwaas!

Thank you (Dank je wel) for this wonderful thread!
And I would like to help by giving also something
of the very many possibilities to be found with the,
traditionally titled, Mademoiselle Lenormand cards.

I know you like this new version:

Mystisches Lenormand
by Regula Fiechter and Urban Trösch

Click on to View: Mystische Lenormand

Sprache: Deutsch
Geschenkartikel - Agmüller Urania
Erscheinungsdatum: Juli 2005
ISBN: 3038190411

And we both have the wonderful Piatnik:

Mlle. Lenormand Cartomancy Deck
by Piatnik... Click on: to view.

I will check with Sulis to see if we should now
continue with moving the thread over to the
Oracle decks forum... :) See you all there!

~Fulgour

rachelcat

Thank you, Dwass for the great translation!

And, darn you, Fulgour!! I thought the Piatnik was the very best Lenormand deck ever. Then you had to show us Mystisches Lenormand! It looks ever so much more Mystical! I might have to start searching for it . . . (Who am I kidding. Of course I'm searching for it!)

Fulgour

Dwaas said:
Then put these cards in the deck again, shuffle and make four rows of nine cards (that's how I learned, sure there are other ways as well) and then it begins.
This method sounds so attractive the way you say it now,
and I have never tried reading so with the full deck before.

Your post had an effect~ like causing a vision to appear...
so I think it is time I cleared the table to begin some work.

Baroli

Wow! I am impressed!!

Thank you Dwass!

Lenormand is one of my oracle decks and I am constantly stimied as to reading them. My Russian Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards are easier, but I do love Lenormand. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Baroli52

Fulgour

Just for Fun!

I won't say (really, I shouldn't) what 'Fulgour'
means ~ that is to many people around here,
but I did go looking and found this definition
for Dwaas (a tricky name to type...) ;)

Translation: Dwaas
Dutch: fool, foolish, absurd
Flemish: crazy

Dwaas

Haha! Well done! The Dutch Dwaas is indeed the same as the Fool. :)
Btw, I happen to know, I think, what Fulgour means. But as these forums are for decent people as well I will make no further comments :D :D :D
Blessings

Fulgour

Hi Dwaas :) This is a little off-topic, but we have so many
energetic contributors noticing this wonderful new thread
that I thought I might ask about a related little item...

Bayrisches Dopplebild Tarokkarte Nr. 143

I saw these the other day, and was fascinated by them!
Not much more to go on but... "Tarokkart, 36 Blatt" ~?