Greenwood - The Shaman

SolSionnach

WolfSpirit said:
Hi Mi-Shell,
the companion book says he is "wrapped in a bearskin that is adorned with curious paleolithic paintings..."
I did not see any explanation in the book why bearskin, but I got my companion book of the Druid Animal Oracle out, and it says that 70,000 years ago man already revered the bear. They also found a model of a bear which was probably used in ceremonies draped with a bearskin.
Warriors wore bearskins to identify with bear power.
Seeing the importance of the skin and their worshipping of bear - I don't think they would normally hunt for bear for food if there was other food available. But they wanted to have access to the power of bear.

Interestingly enough, Cave Bear skulls were evidently held in special esteem by the Neanderthals - IIRC, one of their sites held 70+ of the skulls! I'm not sure if Cro-Magnon man (in Europe at the end of the Neanderthal times) venerated the Cave Bear or not.

I'm also a fan of the Earth's Children series (Jane Auel's books), which has some basis in scientific fact, spun into a story.

SolSionnach

Perhaps it's time to choose another card? Anybody?

WolfSpirit

Why don't you pick one, sravana ?
(if noone else does I could start another thread but I already picked the Shaman)

ZenMusic

notice that the left hand (dancing figure with bow) is also on the 8 of Stones (Skill) about that card "This card represents someone who is able to work alone, in deep concentration, skilled and mature, in tune with something greater than themselves. The completion of a large project."

SolSionnach

WolfSpirit said:
Why don't you pick one, sravana ?
(if noone else does I could start another thread but I already picked the Shaman)

I'm in a very preoccupied space currently - I'd love it if someone else picked a card.. :)

ilweran

I feel like I'm butting in as I've just lurked and not taken part so far, but now I have my cards out can I suggest Strength as the next card?

WolfSpirit

Yes of course you can ilweran :)

SolSionnach

ZenMusic said:
notice that the left hand (dancing figure with bow) is also on the 8 of Stones (Skill) about that card "This card represents someone who is able to work alone, in deep concentration, skilled and mature, in tune with something greater than themselves. The completion of a large project."

I had notice that as well - and the description of the 8 of stones certainly describes the work of the Shaman.

I just noticed that we haven't been connecting these cards to the wheel of the year yet - so the Shaman is located 'At the hub of the Wheel next to the Seer, linked to the mythos of the sun, located in the eastern quarter related fire and magic, but also embodying fertility and protection'. (from the book)

Online, she says: Minor arcana: Tens. Position on wheel: guardian and centre.
Outside of time. Colour: all.

missy

WolfSpirit said:
Seeing the importance of the skin and their worshipping of bear - I don't think they would normally hunt for bear for food if there was other food available. But they wanted to have access to the power of bear.

Hi all, :)

I do not yet have this deck, although I am developing a keen interest in it! But whether or not the bear would be killed raised questions I wanted to try to find answers to.

I do not know. But I did look at the Native American Indian with regard to the buffalo. From what I understand, the Indian would kill the buffalo, but also revered the buffalo and gave thanks to it for the many blessings the buffalo bestowed. I am not Native American, so I hope I am not getting it wrong.

I realize this is the buffalo and not the bear. But as both were revered I wanted to see if there were similarities.

Some articles:

This one discusses bringing the buffalo back as a food source, yet also how the buffalo represent the Indian spirit:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07357/843603-84.stm?cmpid=nationworld.xml

Stories from a buffalo hide painting:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/kids/buffalo/

I am wondering if bear is similar to buffalo in that perhaps it could be slaughtered but was done so with reverence.

WolfSpirit, I am also wondering if perhaps the decision on whether or not to kill a bear would be based on how plentiful the supply of bear was. I am theorizing if the bear was scarce it could have been spared. If the bear was very plentiful then perhaps a decision was made to kill one. Or as you said it could have been based on whether the need was great enough to justify it.

I do not have access to studies of those ancient times. There must be books which would study this or have access to this knowledge. I am sure you all are way ahead of me!

Wendywu

I doubt they thought about whether bear were plentiful. If Spirit sent one at a time when one was needed - it would be accepted gratefully. If Spirit did not send a bear - then some lesson was being taught; another animal undoubtedly was being offered and the hunter was meant to learn the lessons of that other animal....

Remember that this is the shaman we are talking about - his every action would be in light of Spirit...