Unexpectedly Seduced by ......

strings of life

The Paulina Tarot - many find it busy, but I love the artwork, detail, use of pastels (and I tend to go for bold colors, line-art, etc). I am going to explore it more this year.

The Bohemian Gothic - again, many find this deck to be more of an art deck as opposed to a reading deck. But, I am amazed at the journaling prospects.

And, lastly, the Morgan-Greer - this ended up becoming my favorite reading deck. I wasn't drawn to it originally (prior to buying). I acquired it in a trade and was curious about the artwork (since I love decks from the '60s and '70s).

It will be interesting to read other answers since we all like different decks.

nisaba

Kissa said:
Your Haindl jokes crack me up, guys!!!
That comment alone gives me a Haindl on your psychology, Kissa.

WolfyJames

- The Light and Shadow Tarot: Well, that happened years ago. The first times I saw this deck online I found it horrible, crude. Then I kept bumping into it and kept seeing those tiny details on the cards that were popping up and I was like "Hey, this is interesting...". So I bought it and I found it much better in person, beautiful and packed with meaningful details. What an amount of work the artist had to put in the deck.

- The Fey: Another deck I saw online and found horrible, I couldn't understand people's fondness for the deck. Then one day I saw the bookset box on the bookshelves in the new age store I go sometimes, that candy purple color just attracted me, I saw it from afar, and I had to have it so I bought it impulsively. When I got home the deck was too much better in person, I really love the candy colors of the deck and the art is really cute.

- The Liber T Tarot of Stars Eternal: Here is another one whose scans on the internet left me cold at first with its eerie images (decapitated heads?). It didn't help I didn't like the Dante (still dislike it) from the same artist because the art style is similar, I feared if I didn't like the Dante I probably wouldn't like the Liber T. Then that poor deck got bashed too when it was released which didn't help. At the same time I wanted a Thoth clone because I don't connect with the Thoth and I figured I could get a clone instead. Of all the clones/based on Thoth decks the Liber T pretty much came out a winner but I was still hesitating on buying it. Scion's posts about the deck is the push I needed to buy it. I was very happy when I got the deck because like the two previous decks I just mentioned, the deck was very different in person and I've fallen in love with it, so much I've been using for over 2 years now (I think) and it's my main. I like it better than the Thoth.

thorhammer

I have a couple, though I thought I didn't. I was, sadly, disappointed in many more decks last year than I was pleasantly surprised. But a couple of the pleasant surprises stand out:

Star That Never Walks Around Tarot - lark very kindly gifted me with this deck early last year, and while I thought it was cute and wanted to use it, I was not in any way prepared for how starkly beautiful the readings I got with it were. It was amazing. Even if it were not going to be a keeper for the fact that it was a gift, it would always be a keeper for the way it totally swept me off my feet.

La Corte dei Tarocchi - I traded TCO for this, and really expected it to be a quirky jewel in the collector's side of the shelf. But somehow the adorable images, the unparalleled cardstock and flawless production just wormed their way into my soul and I found myself painting it gold, and now, while I rarely use it because of my IDS, it's a deck I love to read with.

Contemplative Tarot - I traded Wendy for this one, and was again unprepared for its sheer quirk value! It reads beautifully and I used it at a time when I really needed some reassurance. It's like being hugged by an ageless youth touched by a gentle madness. You feel lucky.

Elf of Heaven Tarot - Whodathunkit? But I love the pinkness of it :D and was pleasantly surprised at the real depth of insight in the images. The Courts, in particular, are special in this deck. I'm looking forward to a time when I'm not committed to an IDS so I can read with the Elf :)

All Hallows Tarot - I got this mostly because it's from Chronata. I wanted to support her coz I love her :D But when I opened it, I was floored by the borderless backs, the wonderful cardstock, the lovely rich, vivid colouring! And it reads great, like riding a yearling colt, just broken in and still skittish but eager to please and oh! so responsive!

And was it last year that the Thoth got me? Or 2008? Never saw that coming. Life-changing.

\m/ Kat

Cocobird55

Legacy of the Divine. I have Ciro's other decks so I wanted this one. It is amazing! I have been getting very good readings from it.

Queen of Disks

The big ones for me were the Gilded and the Quest. I opened the Gilded up and was underwhelmed. And the deck was a little beat up right out of the box and I didn't want to give someone a beat up deck, so I put it on the shelf and forgot about it. Grumbled about it a few times on here as well. One day, I wanted something new but could not afford a new deck. Eventually I found the Gilded and started to use it. It was amazing! And much nicer and prettier then I remembered. I won't give it up now.

Someone had a thread about using the last deck you would normally get for a week and how did it work out. I bought the Quest (had keywords, which I normally don't like and it was computer generated. Don't usually like those either, which was my problem with the Gilded.) I used it for the week, and it was ok, and then put it away. A while later I dug it back out and it was wonderful. Reads great, looks cool, and I will not give it up either.

Morgane_49

The Sacred Rose Tarot was my only unexpected seduction.

When I first opened it, I thought "Oh, no..." but after a few trial runs we became very good friends!

Brigid

I was completely blown away by Tarot of the Renaissance (Tevisan), and also by the Albano Waite!

Actually the RWS in general, I had quite a strong aversion to it not to long ago.
I've really come to love it in various forms in the last year though.

cardlady22

Well, I haven't been seduced to the point of exclusion. But, for me, it was the Baroque Bohemian Cats with the floral borders. Watched gregory go on about it. Got encouraged by a lot of people, but didn't feel it. A strange day came along & I ordered it. No go, so I sent it up in a Trade Train side deal. Later, I got another in a box of decks & did a GiveAway.

shocker! Going through each card for everyone that chose it made it different. Back on Amazon to order a new copy for the winner, so I could keep the dear little thing. So, it's the only deck I've bought 3 copies. :bugeyed:

And I don't have cats.

OctoberGwen

cardlady22 said:
Well, I haven't been seduced to the point of exclusion. But, for me, it was the Baroque Bohemian Cats with the floral borders.

I've just had the same experience with this deck. I like cats but I don't care for animals in clothes, generally, and I had no intention of getting this deck. Then I saw it going for cheap on Alibris, and it came with the book, too. I suddenly found myself ordering it. When I regained my senses I figured I'd tuck it away and have a nice deck to trade some day.

Well, it arrived yesterday and last night I was looking through the cards and just...became captivated. The sumptuous costumes, the beautiful backgrounds...it's enchanting! I have no intention of letting go of it now!

What is it about baba decks that make them so magical?