Sybilla/Lenormand

kalliope

The Sibilla Originale is the Sibilla deck I was just ogling over on Pinterest. I wish that was for sale somewhere.

Oh and thanks for the tip about the Fench Parlor style. I will have to compare that to mine to make sure huh.

Actually, that link I gave to the Sibilla Originale is to a shop & deck producer in Italy, Il Meneghello, and they're selling the reproduction deck for 25 Euros. I've ordered from them before, and the shipping to the US was about 12 Euro. In total, I think you'd be paying about 37 Euro, or US$51. Not cheap, but their decks are beautifully done if you're looking for something special.

Lady Freya

Although of course I'd be interested in learning about what others, such as that Italian author, view as the true original meanings of the cards if they believe they conflict with the common card titles of most of the decks.

That's exactly how I see it. I don't mind spending the money to acquire a rare deck, like the Meneghello deck, and I don't mind investing in a good book and a course taught by a teacher... I am only saying this because I think the information is worth it, as much as a deck. I'd rather learn the right way than make mistakes, then they become ingrained.....

conurelover

Actually, that link I gave to the Sibilla Originale is to a shop & deck producer in Italy, Il Meneghello, and they're selling the reproduction deck for 25 Euros. I've ordered from them before, and the shipping to the US was about 12 Euro. In total, I think you'd be paying about 37 Euro, or US$51. Not cheap, but their decks are beautifully done if you're looking for something special.

Whoops. Sorry I missed that.

conurelover

Is the Meneghello the same one being sold by Alida? I wonder.

I had no idea I could order from Alida Store in the United States until now.

Le Fanu

I love the Sibillas, too. And the Gypsy Cards and the Art Deco cards. They do seem like the unloved cousins. They're refreshingly straightforward in a different way than the Lenormand, which still requires cypher translation.
I think that's just because nobody has really latched onto them yet. Anyone could pounce and complicate them. It wouldn't take much.

Now you have me reflecting on where I read the info about the grouping of the cards (and it wasn't by suit I don't think). I see from conurelover that it isn't in the LoS LWB, so where did I read it?

I must check out my notes again.

I have the Meneghello Sibilla - the one like the LoS Every Day Oracle. It is gorgeous - the quality of the engraving is so much sharper. However, be warned, it is glossy! Lovely, but glossy.

kalliope

Is the Meneghello the same one being sold by Alida? I wonder.

I had no idea I could order from Alida Store in the United States until now.

Yes, it looks like it is, from what I can tell (Alida item number me041, since I can't seem to link directly to an item on their site.) It's an Il Meneghello deck, and has the same box. Although the site says it's the "1980," I think we can assume that's a transposition typo for 1890. :laugh:

kalliope

Now you have me reflecting on where I read the info about the grouping of the cards (and it wasn't by suit I don't think). I see from conurelover that it isn't in the LoS LWB, so where did I read it?

I must check out my notes again.

I have the Meneghello Sibilla - the one like the LoS Every Day Oracle. It is gorgeous - the quality of the engraving is so much sharper. However, be warned, it is glossy! Lovely, but glossy.

Wasn't conurelover referring to a different LoS LWB? The one for the French Parlour Sibyl style deck (the Sibilla Adivino aka Sibilla Oracle, in the little tan box I linked to,) not the Every Day Oracle? So maybe you're remembering correctly after all.

I'm shocked to hear that the Meneghello Sibilla is glossy! I only have the Vacchetta deck by them, but assumed all of the cardstock would be the same, so thanks for the heads-up. Is it still very thick? You mentioned that the engraving is nicer on the Meneghello compared to the LoS Every Day. From what I can see online the coloring seems different also, more subdued in tone but still rich. Would you say that's true in person?

conurelover

Wasn't conurelover referring to a different LoS LWB? The one for the French Parlour Sibyl style deck (the Sibilla Adivino aka Sibilla Oracle, in the little tan box I linked to,) not the Every Day Oracle? So maybe you're remembering correctly after all.

I'm shocked to hear that the Meneghello Sibilla is glossy! I only have the Vacchetta deck by them, but assumed all of the cardstock would be the same, so thanks for the heads-up. Is it still very thick? You mentioned that the engraving is nicer on the Meneghello compared to the LoS Every Day. From what I can see online the coloring seems different also, more subdued in tone but still rich. Would you say that's true in person?

After I purchased the LoS deck I realized it wasn't the same as the Every Day. So yes, Le Fanu may have a different LWB.

conurelover

Yes, it looks like it is, from what I can tell (Alida item number me041, since I can't seem to link directly to an item on their site.) It's an Il Meneghello deck, and has the same box. Although the site says it's the "1980," I think we can assume that's a transposition typo for 1890. :laugh:

LOL. Yes I noticed that. The main page lists it as 1890 but the ordering page says 1980. Lol.

Le Fanu

Yes, the colouring is beautiful - much richer and it looks so much sharper as if the LoS one was pixelated but I know it isn't. No comparison in the colouring - but yes, it is one of the few Meneghello decks (such as the Dotti for example) which is hyper-glossy. I love it just the same. But so glossy it squeaks slightly if you rub the cards together!

And if conurelover was referring to the other deck then I stick by what I said. There is nothing in my LWB about grouping (just checked). Maybe I read it in the Sibilla Gitana Sibilla LWB (also LoS). I need time - something I don't have - to check. The Every Day Oracle deck LWB is good, assuming these meanings are somehow traditional and not totally made up in a sort of Laura *off-the-top-of-my-head* Tuan way.

Someone here on AT sent me an excellent pdf of traditional Sibilla meanings which I have printed & bound but I struggle to remember their online name.