Marseilles Seekers Thread (Second Exercise)

Hooked on TdM

EE:

Thank you for somewhat explaining what a cold reader is. I kept hearing that term but had no idea what it was referring to.

As luck has it, I'm not one who has difficulty with this concept. Might be because I used to write poetry as if possessed? :) I think the more you explain this, the more I try it, the more sense it makes to me. Awesome recap!

Hooked

firefrost

It's all so very, very interesting.

stella01904

EnriqueEnriquez said:
This also makes me very skeptical of any 'truth' no matter how classical it may be.

A wise man once said, "Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning."
http://www.verthaine.chaosmagic.com/
:D

EnriqueEnriquez said:
Just as in Lark’s case, you objectively observed all what was there to observe, but then you basically constructed your answer to the last question (What do you think is happening?) you went for one main rhyme to construct meaning. This is specially easy to do when whole characters rhyme, as is the case with the horses here.

"The upward-pointing chevrons on the IIII Deniers shield and on the armor of the guy in the Chariot."
The "upward" current that the person could ride to a higher position - or not.

"Gold coins with red centers rhyme with the bowl of the cup"
The heart is with the "little" job that affords more freedom.

...etc.

When you pick it apart it comes to the same thing, like a hologram that
becomes smaller, complete images when you split it. I love TdM. :love:

I've been printing the Eye Rhyme essays and bits from this thread, as well.
Definitely worth hanging on to!

EnriqueEnriquez

Hooked on TdM said:
Thank you for somewhat explaining what a cold reader is. I kept hearing that term but had no idea what it was referring to.

No problem. There are lots of misunderstanding and myths about what cold reading is or isn’t. There is also a common confusion between cold reading and stock reading. The later is the one in which the reader simply repeats a basic script to everybody, twisting it slightly depending on the client’s reactions. Think about how similar this is to have stock meaning for each card we repeat when they come up.

Hooked on TdM said:
As luck has it, I'm not one who has difficulty with this concept. Might be because I used to write poetry as if possessed? :) I think the more you explain this, the more I try it, the more sense it makes to me.

There is an interesting notion from critic M. H. Abrams: the Heterocosmic analogue. I know that it sounds as something a proctologist would do, but it is defined as: “the parallel between writing poetry and creating the universe”. This goes back to simila similibus curentur. Robert Frost comes to mind. His poetry can be read, literally, as mere descriptions of the countryside, or about life as a farmer. But on a metaphorical level they are addressing metaphysical topics. By means of his seemingly little descriptions, his words create a reality, inside and outside ourselves. When we look at our little cards, and we talk about them, we are doing the same thing. We are using specific images depicting characters or events from the outer worlds to talk about the inner world.

Talking about words, I think we re ready for the next exercise, so, I will be posting it soon on a separate thread.

Best,

EE

Wendywu

Exercise 2

I drew: Roy de Deniers, 3 Epees, Justice.

What did I notice?

1. Crowns - the King wears a crown, so does Justice and I can see the hilt of the upright sword has a crown within it. Both King and Justice rule within their own spheres. Swords symbolise power - as do crowns.

2. The King is staring at Justice's breasts, which she has emphasised with her clothing.

3. Holding - the King holds a large coin, Justice holds her scales and a sword, the upright Sword is shown between them before being picked up by Justice and is thus waiting to be held.

4. His throne is very upright, the centre sword is upright, Justice holds her sword upright.

5. The King and Justice have a green leg and a red leg each. The sword has a red hilt but no green. His crossed legs remind me of the crossed hilts of the swords. Justice has slightly open legs.

6. The King looks through the open doorway formed by the two curved swords at Justice. The way is barred by the upright sword. Is he offering her the coin? What for? She has scales and will weigh up his offer carefully. At the moment her sword is upright, and is echoed in the 3 Swords. Will she put the sword down if he offers enough and thus he will pass through the centre card over into hers?

The curved swords look like a yoni. Is it hers? Is the sword his penis? Is the card showing what he desires? Or - does he want her, but she doesn't want him - she holds her sword up and will not permit him entry?

Are we seeing that Justice (or this woman) can be bought if the coin offered is sufficient?

What did you hear - I hear the clanging shut of the door between Justice and the King; that sword slamming into position against the other swords. The screech of metal on metal.

I heard Justice giggle! Look at her; face all sweet innocence - she's laughing and trying to keep it all inside.

Him - slightly quickened breathing. This matters to him.

What did you admire? - I admire the perfection of the three swords. The symmetry and beauty. Also, the black bits in the centres of the curved swords make them look like bat'leths to me.

I admire his composure. He knows precisely what he is offering and it matters to him but he is utterly composed about it. I can hear him say, "This is what I offer. Take it or not, your choice".

What astonished you? - That I should see these three cards as I do. Ignoring the archetypes and labels left the whole field wide open. Also I am surprised that the three swords became a gateway card, albeit one that is blocked (for the time being). And I am very surprised at her! The way she has her breasts displayed, her legs playfully opened - her offer is plain.

What would I like to see again/ - My eyes keep being drawn back to their eyes. His unashamed stare, her bland pretence that she has no idea what he is on about. It's a story and I want to know what happens next!

What was most tender? - His gesture towards his coin. Such a subtle question/offer. Dignified - according her the intelligence to understand exactly what is going on here. Also her pretence of not knowing what is going on whilst at the same time making it obvious that she knows exactly what is happeningm.

What was wonderful? The clarity of the story itself. Whether he offers his coin (representing whatever it is he has to offer) in exchange for her body (which given his stare at her breasts seems likely) or in exchange for something else the story is definitely "I offer this, do you accept? If so, put down the sword and we can talk".

What did you think was happening? - And indeed this is what I thought was happening - negotiation of a transaction prior to possible action on her part, in exchange for something he was offering. And although I see the 3 swords as a gateway card I can also see it as the negotiating table at which the King and Justice sit whilst they work out the deal. (Think of a dining table, or table in a bar, coffee table, desk.... anything). She has something he wants; he makes her an offer. She will consider the offer carefully, but the choice of accepting or not is hers to make. If she accepts, then she will lower the sword and whatever it is they have agreed upon can take place.

This was a good exercise to do! I really enjoyed it and surprised myself with what I noticed in those three cards.

Chiska

Our second exercise is about paying attention. It will consist on looking at three cards together and answer the following questions:

Deck: Kris Hadar TdM
Cards: Vaslet de Coupes ~ 2 Deniers ~ Le Fol

What did you notice?

Page and Fool look opposite directions and their bodies are almost mirrored. On the 2, one side of the "S" has a flower and the other a berry. The pages cloak covers his cup and he stares at it while the Fool looks up and away. The fool uses a spoon to hold up his pack. I noticed that the 2 kept sliding my attention to either the page or the fool, and always away from itself.

What did you hear?

I heard the jingling bells of the fool's belt and the little growl of the dog. I hear the Page muttering to himself about not spilling his cup.

What did you admire?

The flower and the berry on the 2. it was symmetrical without being exact - it was birth and life. The Fool keeps going on, even though he isn't really prepared and there is a dog biting his arse! The page is so intent on his task - you have to admire that!

What astonished you?

The knife under the page's arm - what astonished me is that if his arm were in neutral position, the knife would be invisible. Why would he need a knife?? The Fool has a spoon!! Why does he have a spoon? It isn't to smack the biting dog, but will he use it to help himself at the cooking pots of those he meets?? Hmm....

What would you like to see again?

I would like to see the page start his journey again - to see how he takes his first unsteady steps.

What was most tender?

The bloom and the berry on the 2 of cups. It felt so good and right. The balance of this really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Not that it is completely balanced, but because the balance allows for one to become the other. The flower becomes the berry, the berry becomes the plant, the plant flowers and a berry forms. A gentle cycle.

What was most wonderful?

The expression on the face of the page!

What did you think was happening?

Both the Page and the Fool are starting their journeys. One with all the care in the world and the other without a care. The two stands between them to show that neither path is without meaning. Each carry a mystery that is to be discovered, they both carry the means to protect themselves. The Fool will not be deterred and maintains his steady pace regardless of what happens. All will be provided for! The Page is determined, but more naive in his journey. He is concentrating so much on his mystery that it is possible he could trip and fall. The Fool isn't paying attention to where he is going either, but he has his mystery secured and his walking stick can help him regain balance if he were to stumble.

Both paths are valid, it is how you step out on them that makes a difference.