FOR CAT LOVERS

Aeric

Well I'm getting it! It's such a whimsical Tarot, perfect for read for kids or get them started on Marsies early.

Wendywu

That's a nice thought :)

Obsydian

I do think this has been cleverly done but the minors are a bit too scenic for me so I'll pass.

Heh - all the more for other decks :)

That's funny, they aren't nearly scenic enough for me. Only passing it since I wouldn't be able to read it. I'm a bad cat feck collector. :(

Edit: on the other paw, there are some nice little scenes going on, just small. I might still get it someday!

Sherryl

Very clever deck. The little cats on the pips add a bit of whimsy that reminds me of Beth Seilonen's Kilted Rubber Chicken TdM. Unfortunately, many of the images are Waite-Smith-ish, especially on the suit of coins. I don't know if I want to encourage that sort of thing by giving them my money.

Aeric

I received the deck yesterday.

It's an absolutely wonderful deck for cat lovers, and for new Marsie users or new RWS users. I really appreciate the minimalist use of the cats on the Minors that give some idea of what the RWS represents, but not blatantly in your face. The cats are very much overshadowed by the pip imagery and decoration. You have to look very close and squint to make out the details of some scenes, which makes for less distraction if you choose to ignore them and use the deck as Mars only. The art style is great and I think of it them as dignified Mother Goose illustrations.

The Latin inscription on the 2 of Coins reads "The deepest rivers flow with the least sound." by Quintus Curtius Rufus i.e. Still waters run deep. Very appropriate for a Mars deck with an added subtle layer of RWS.

I adore the added feline touches, like the mouse observing the Hanged Man and the cat staring at the mice running on the Wheel. The red and blue ribbons draped around the cats on the Sun card is just adorable, like they're taking a breather from playing. And you can almost hear the cat chirping and trilling up at the dove on the Ace of Cups. Looking for a snack even in church, are we kitty?! The cats falling out of the Tower are landing on their feet, that gives them an advantage over the usual humans!

I think most of the Majors and Court cards that don't involve feline touches are where the deck suffers. Since it's just a substitution of anthropomorphic cats in the characters' clothes, there's not much difference in interpretation I can glean.

A few cards are slightly altered from their RWS, such as the 9 of Swords. This one shows a kitty monk writing quietly at a desk, not noticing the main sword of the 9 pips dangling over him ready to bonk him on the head. The LWB mentions the dangling sword, and I wouldn't have considered it as part of the meaning until it were drawn to my attention.

The few darker cards are whimsical enough to see in an uplifting light. Death is drawn rather cartoonishly and has put his scythe aside to sit down and spend a while with the adorable cat. Even the Grim Reaper can't resist the cuteness overload! Or you can interpret it that even though death comes to all, it is gently loving in kitty's last moments.

The 5, 8, and 10 of Swords, showing a cat wearing a broken noose, strung up and blindfolded, and holding his head with a crescent moon replacing it, are probably the harshest images. But you can easily see them as challenges to overcome or positive interpretations as the Waite cards.

I think this is a great deck to read for kids, or as their first Tarot deck. It's not mundane like the Cat's Eye deck, nor as magical as the Mystical Cats or Cat People, but falls somewhere in between.

Nemia

It looks wonderful but I have an extremely serious grievance with it: Not Enough Siamese Cats.

In every other way, charming and perfect!

(I dream of a cat tarot sub-collection............)