The Gothic Tarot by Vargo Study Group

Alissa

content removed by author mod please delete

ol_crazy_Legs

I just got my new Gothic Tarot deck today to. Im wondering about the future plans for this forum. Any one know?

darkiscross

ol_crazy_Legs said:
I just got my new Gothic Tarot deck today to. Im wondering about the future plans for this forum. Any one know?

lol, I'd love a new official thread where members can randomly post new spreads they've come up with. A few hours ago, I made this new relationship spread but I fear making a wholly new thread for my humble idea will attract far too much attention - or none at all.

To say I love my deck is an understatement. The Gothic Tarot didn't have the opportunity to "speak" to me before I bought the deck. All that I had to go on was simply the cover art and the description at the back of the box, which mentioned gargoyles, angels, vampires, creatures of the night ... This stirred my imagination. Finally, after a lot of contemplation, I decided to buy the deck. Chose it above the fan merchandises I'd been longing for for weeks. But I'm glad I bought Vargo's deck because it came to be one of the most prized possessions I own. The experiences I have reading them offer insights beyond what I'd anticipated and hoped for. The artwork is dark, breathtaking ... Guess me and the cards just ... "clicked". I know not. =)

My muse continues ... I do wonder sometimes ... Perhaps, the artist subconsciously designed the characters in the cards to be completed with scenes, poses, backgrounds, facial expressions (mostly blank), because they're artworks meant for book illustration. I do wonder sometimes if they can all be read comic book style if given a specially designed story-telling spread. With sequence, chronological order, where the characters take the stage as they act out a dark tale, stand in each others' ways, and even help each other. In the "story", we would have an avatar. Like a sissy werewolf representing me, or a pragmatic gargoyle representing your client depending on who you're doing ther reading for. In the story, how would the client's gargoyle react to the Hermit figure glaring at him?

Personally, I think that area has a lot of exploring to do. I must get cracking ...

Alissa

content removed by author, mod please delete

darkiscross

Thanks for your help, Alissa. =)

I suppose most people here do wish they could write, but simply do not have the drive to do so. The same goes for me. Writing is a very exhausting hobby. But Vargo's deck is beautiful, and in my opinion, they would make wonderful stories. Once you heard the story, you'd take a long, long while to forget it. This deck is like that.

Still, just because we can't write doesn't mean we can't make up our own story as we do a reading, with the characters voicing soundless words and the gargoyle card on your left side watching the horse-drawn chariot thundering through the mists in the card on your right side. What could it mean, you'd ask, and the moral of the parable is decided by non but the beholder ... That's you.

Doing this will require a special spread. Maybe a skilled tarot-master like Umbrae could guide us?

Alissa

content removed by author, mod please delete

Disa

It's that time again

It's just the time of year where I feel like delving into this deck. Though I got it last year, I didn't use it for very long. So, here I go again, on my merry way through all the cards, and the posts, to try to gain a better understanding of the deck. Anyone else along for the ride, this time?

rwcarter

Hi Disa,

I've just made my first pass through the Compendium and am now in the process of reorganizing my notes. So I should be ready to start actually using the deck in the next few days/week (depends on how much free time I can manage during the work week).

So, I'm game.

Rodney

kmartin60

Im in! this will be a wonderful study group...I love this deck.The pictures just speak to a person....my fav. is the knight of Pentacles....he seems sad..or hungry! LOL wonder which? Have a "Gothic" week, Kim

Disa

Oh goodie!!! I'm alternating between this deck and the Halloween Tarot. Glad to see people are in the "spirit" muwhahaha :p

Disa