What Thoth deck to buy?

f. silvestris

Please let me add to the confusion. I bought a large Thoth rather over a year ago [Green box, apparently containing Muller cards.] I checked the top card on the sealed deck for the infamous green, no problem. The cards are rather more muted than the smaller blue box decks I've seen, which is quite a pleasant effect. In fact, the cards are absolutely lovely EXCEPT the Prince and Princess of Swords, which look as if someone's pigged out on chartreuse and then vomited over them. Either I've happened to get some from a slightly misprinted sheet, or there's still some of the old green horror stock being used up [is that likely, though, the way these things are manufactured?] or is there just a problem printing those particular cards?

jlbvt

I think this has been said already, but if you are going to use them for meditation and study, get a large size deck.

Aside from the green deck looking funny, most who have it seem to agree that it has a wierd energy too.
http://67.19.40.82/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13705

;) Joan

Emily

Hi jlbvt,

I remember that thread lol - it took my green tinged Thoth a long time to get comfortable with me and for me to be able to use them as I wanted, the energy I felt coming from the deck is still there but feels different - and I think moving the deck to be with my others really did make a difference.

I looked at my green deck F. silvestris and compared it to my newer none green deck and although the Princess has black thunder clouds and streaks of thundery energy, the Prince looks ok with just emerald green, yellow and crystaline colours behind him.

Maybe you did end up with a badly printed couple of cards, the green-tinged deck is the same but paler and green tinged.

Aun

I used to have the Small US games deck, and just bought the green box larger version, which came with with one Magus card. They look exactly the same.

Parzival

The pale or muted deck has an orange-red tinge instead of red, but its less intense color may be more meditative for some; its back has no white outside border and has a pleasant softness of color.Still,the blue-boxed Muller has stronger,clearer,more saturated color,and grey borders instead of green-gray(fronts),which most Tarotists prefer.( I like both--- one's more introverted,one's more extroverted.)Go for Muller blue-box if it's one choice.

StoneMan

Well, after looking at god knows how many websites, everybodies input into the forums, looking at cards for sale locally I made my decision.
I have taken the gamble that I am going to get the grey bordered cards from Amazon.com in the US Games large size, and hence ordered them, the book of Thoth, and a couple of other titles as a bulk purchace.

Will let you know what turns up. I can still sell the cards here for less than the local suppliers and make a profit on them if they are not to my liking :)

Thanks for all your help.

StoneMan

Thoth Tarot Arived.

Well after a while waiting for the shipping etc, my deck of Thoth Tarot arived from Amazon.com

The box is the green US Games box (ISBN 0-913866-15-6) and states the cards are printed in Belgium. Within are the grey bordered cards, the colours seem quite pleasing to me on the cards themselves, and the cardboard that they are printed on is quite acceptable.

Also inclued within is a booklet, covered in www.tarotworld.com logos and companies such as Carta Mundi, A. G. Muller and Urania. The ISBN on the book is 3-905021-60-9. This number corresponds to the AG Muller Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot de Luxe, english version.

So the cards within the US Games Systems green box with the forementioned ISBN contain the AG Muller cards within the dark blue box (if you can believe the pictures on the Tarot World site).

The moral of the story?

So after a long and tricky research period, with much help from the AT community, I took a gamble and ordered the US Games deck through Amazon.com, and came up with something quite acceptable. No icky green for me!

Many thanks to all that aided me in my quest.

Cerulean

Ah...you hit the green box at the right time.

I found some recent purchases/trades with the green box Thoth. One bought early last year had a lighter coloring.

One bought this year had the quality and darker printing of my original blue box Thoth.

The only difference is the booklet that the blue box provides--but the one in the new U.S. Games boxes is much better overall, I think. I just like having the different one from AG Mueller.

Best wishes.

Regards,

Cerulean

CreativeFire

I just bought another Thoth deck on the weekend (a smaller version as I already have the large version).

The one I just bought came in a pale mauve / grey coloured box and is put out by U.S. Games but the deck inside has AG Muller on it and it is printed in Belgium.

I am really happy with the new smaller deck as it is much easier to shuffle and cart around with me than the larger one - but the large one is definitely better for studying purposes as the artwork seems a lot more detailed and easier to see. Never thought I would end up buying two versions of the same tarot deck but there you go! LOL :D

CreativeFire

Edited to add: the new smaller deck also has the extra Maguses, which is a bit of bonus as I had not seen them close up before!

JulieG

Hi guys.

I have the large and regular Thoth decks with the greyish borders. I prefer the large deck but even my huge mittens find the deck hard to shuffle and that often interferes with my readings, so I have been known to spread the deck out on the floor and mix it about with my hands instead.

I may be odd, but I hanker after the yucky green deck. Can I get it anywhere? Nope - tried everywhere but can't locate one. Boohoo! :-(

I have also not been fortunate enough to get a deck with the extra Magus.