Three Of Swords as New Career

Absynthe

Interesting take on it. And probably not out of the realm of my capabilities either.

goddessof1967

Then perhaps the 3 swords is saying 'do this work, the 3 cleansings (3 swords=3 cleansings), first then you'll be in the space to work out what you need to do next'. The 10 cups kind of confirms that it will all work out, in the end. So stop trying for now to work out what to do cause it will come to you once this big work is done. It's as though your heart and mind don't have the space to think/move any further, as yet.

Hi Absynthe,

Did you have any feedback as per forum rules?

HeidiLynn

So I'm between careers at the moment and have given myself 6 months to find a new purpose in life and embark upon it. I'm not limited to seeking employment, I have the option of self employment too which is the preferred option for me. I've asked this question many times and time after time I keep drawing....

Three Of Swords - well that doesn't seem too inspiring. It often turns up as the central card in a celtic cross. I drew a more information card and got Ten of Cups. The rest of the spread was mainly about new foundations in life, the spiritual work I'm presently engaged in and my own growth.

Three Of Swords - in it's broadest sense would be unhealed wounds, trauma perhaps, or just deeply embedded pain.
Ten Of Cups - work to do with emotional fulfillment, development?

I'm reading this is work that involves helping people to recover from pain and find fulfillment in life. But that's incredibly broad. I'm not at all interested in the typical helping professions, like counselling, social work or the like. I actually have terrible one on one skills in that regard and spent the last decade trying to develop this lack in myself and failed at it. Working directly with people just isn't what I'm cut out to do. So I need to think of find a way to be of value to people without subjecting them to my persona and lack of in-person communication skills.

Does anyone have a different take, or even just a different slant on what these cards could be pointing to?

3 of Swords type jobs.

Swords (in my preferred decks) are Air and generally represent the intellect, words, messages etc.

How about a:

Process Server
Telemarketer
Call center rep
Insurance sales
Repossession Agent
Messenger
Transcriptionest (typing up dictation for Dr's)
Collections Agent

My brain is shutting down for the night as its after midnight at the moment, I'm sure there are other similar type jobs.
But those are some types of jobs that I could see indicated by the 3 of Swords.

They are all jobs that involve you delivering or putting into writing painful or potentially bad news.
Which is how I see the 3 of Swords. Painful news or heartbreak coming via written or verbal messages or gossip.
Or potentially making sometime unhappy, being the bearer of bad news.

WolfSwan

So I'm between careers at the moment and have given myself 6 months to find a new purpose in life and embark upon it. I'm not limited to seeking employment, I have the option of self employment too which is the preferred option for me. I've asked this question many times and time after time I keep drawing....

Three Of Swords - well that doesn't seem too inspiring. It often turns up as the central card in a celtic cross. I drew a more information card and got Ten of Cups. The rest of the spread was mainly about new foundations in life, the spiritual work I'm presently engaged in and my own growth.

Three Of Swords - in it's broadest sense would be unhealed wounds, trauma perhaps, or just deeply embedded pain.
Ten Of Cups - work to do with emotional fulfillment, development?

I'm reading this is work that involves helping people to recover from pain and find fulfillment in life. But that's incredibly broad. I'm not at all interested in the typical helping professions, like counselling, social work or the like. I actually have terrible one on one skills in that regard and spent the last decade trying to develop this lack in myself and failed at it. Working directly with people just isn't what I'm cut out to do. So I need to think of find a way to be of value to people without subjecting them to my persona and lack of in-person communication skills.

Does anyone have a different take, or even just a different slant on what these cards could be pointing to?

The first thing I thought was life or development coach or even psychology. Helping people heal from their trauma and find fulfilment.

Absynthe

Regarding your situation, it could be that the cards are telling you that your preferred situation - self employment - may lead you towards emotional fulfillment, as expressed in the 10 of Cups. However, the 3 of Swords may indicate the amount of effort you're going to have to put in face of adversity. In short, the best decision is not always the easiest one to go through with.

Well that doesn't bother me at all, I've faced plenty of adversity in my life to date so no big deal.

Absynthe

the 3 of Swords just applies the idea of "growth through adversity" (aka "no pain, no gain"). It could mean something to do with psychological trauma therapy, such as working with battered women or the like. Or how about something in the line of "animal rescue?"

I like the idea of growth through pain. I don't have social anxiety, I worked a social job for 10yrs. It's just that I don't express the warm fuzzies like everyone else so I'm not generally the most popular person in town and I rarely understand how to emotionally comfort others. So working with the traumatised probably wouldn't be the best idea. I come across as quite cold in person.

But personal development would fit with this initial idea anyway. So thanks for that.

Absynthe

Then perhaps the 3 swords is saying 'do this work, the 3 cleansings (3 swords=3 cleansings), first then you'll be in the space to work out what you need to do next'. The 10 cups kind of confirms that it will all work out, in the end. So stop trying for now to work out what to do cause it will come to you once this big work is done. It's as though your heart and mind don't have the space to think/move any further, as yet.

That's what I'm assuming but the three runs through the process is likely to take a year. That's a long time to be bored and focusing on nothing else. I was willing to do the first run totally focused but not all three. I do want to create some form of work to fill in the middle of the day, and also to create a small income for peace of mind.

Absynthe

3 of Swords type jobs.

They are all jobs that involve you delivering or putting into writing painful or potentially bad news. Which is how I see the 3 of Swords. Painful news or heartbreak coming via written or verbal messages or gossip. Or potentially making sometime unhappy, being the bearer of bad news.

Hmm...okay. I can see where's you're coming from with the bad news thing. I'll have to think on this because I actually want to work freelance (I've done it before, I know the pitfalls etc) rather than seek employment with other people. SO I'm thinking something to do with helping people to handle their bad news situations? That would make sense, thanks for the idea.

Absynthe

The first thing I thought was life or development coach or even psychology. Helping people heal from their trauma and find fulfilment.

I'll take life coaching type things. Psychology? No, on so many levels I won't speak about it. Lets jut say I'm not a great believer in modern psychology theory.

Barleywine

I'll take life coaching type things. Psychology? No, on so many levels I won't speak about it. Lets jut say I'm not a great believer in modern psychology theory.

So, no modern psychology? How about neurological electro-shock therapy? Nothing says you can't give pain as well as receive it. :) No, of course I'm joking.

But it made me think of those technicians who administer shock treatment to people in cardiac arrest. You know, the pads they put on and shout "Clear!" Then "Zap!" and ideally the heart restarts.