Waite or Not?

Teheuti

Are you saying that the artist used Waite as his model for the figure on the left? Where did you come that fact or is it pure supposition?

Added: From 1899 to 1907 he was a manager for Horlicks. After that he mostly depended on his writing. He edited a magazine put out by Horlicks (full of advertising for malted milk, of course), acted as the owner's private secretary, did copywriting.

Laura Borealis

There's a date on the magazine page of 1925, though. So I don't think it can be Waite.

ravenest

There's a date on the magazine page of 1925, though. So I don't think it can be Waite.

Oooo ... ya got me :laugh:

Nah .... that was a bit of humour ...

Oh ... by the way, that pic I posted of Waite and Crowley milking a goat out the back of Horlicks factory wasnt serious either. I doubt Crowley would have been involved with a company that dropped the 'W' off the name :)

Teheuti

What ? .... yeah !

I doubt he lived off book sales (of his books) .
From 1908 on, he lived pretty much entirely from the sales of his books.

kwaw

As Teheuti says, apart from the period between 1899 to 1909, Waite's income was mainly derived from his writings & editing with occasional excursions into publishing and copy-writing (it was through his Freelance copywriting for Horlicks c.1898 that he came to the attention of John Horlicks and was appointed London manager (c.1899) , and later, private secretary (in all but name) to John Horlicks himself for the last couple of years he worked for him (1907-1909), according to R.A. Gilbert (A.E.Waite - Magician of Many Parts.

As Alchemists go, he weren't too bad - for John Horlick's at least, he turned Malted Milk into gold, a bateleur's snake oil or panacea:

Crown'd Heads of Europe, we wish you peace,
And trust that shortly all wars will cease,
But when a battle is bound to be fought,
let MALTED MILK to the Front be brought,
And when the struggle is over and' done,
'Tis still the best thing under the sun.
On Malted Milk the babies thrive,
By Malted Milk the sick survive,
The weak folk take it to make them strong,
The old because they will then live long;
The strong ones take it to keep them well,
And many more people than l can tell--
Soldiers, Sailors, and doctors too--
And when you have tried it so will you!
Send for a sample, don't delay;
There's much to gain and nothing to pay.
Drop us a line to our abode,
Simply; HORLICK, Farringdon Road,
But if you'd like to add anymore,
Note that the Number is 34.

Gilbert also gives an exerpt for one of his adverts for Sewell's Rival Corsets (1916) :

And were anything wanting to prove to the hilt
The consummate perfection with which they are built,
We have only to pause in the midst of our lays
And consult C.A. SEWELL concerning their stays.

The VENUS DE MILO they take for their mark,
And why they won't leave you to grope in the dark;
'Tis by right of the verdict of feminine praise
Which so long C.A. SEWELL have earn'd for their stays.

The name of these Corsets, so easy and fair,
Is rightly the RIVAL, since none can compare,
And ladies all stand in delighted amaze
And confess C.A. SEWELL unrivall'd in stays.

Zephyros

What ? .... yeah !

Damn, I guess I never realized how cruel that review actually was. It's mighty cold, insulting someone's job like that. I always thought it was an idiom or something, insinuating Waite was frothy and without substance, I never imagined he was telling him "don't quit your day job."

ravenest

...As Alchemists go, he weren't too bad - for John Horlick's at least, he turned Malted Milk into gold, a bateleur's snake oil or panacea: ...

Snake oil salesman ? ! :bugeyed:

kwaw

Snake oil salesman ? ! :bugeyed:

In as much as his advertising copy portrayed Horlick's Malted Milk as some sort of fix-all elixir; but in that he was simply emulating typical unregulated advertising strategy of the time.

quote:

From February 1898, for a period of some five years, both London and provincial newspapers were bombarded with a constant stream of brief paragraph announcements--advertisements extolling the virtues of Horlick's Malted Milk. They recommended the drink as a cure for dyspepsia, malnutrition, and influenza, as a means of preventing tuberculosis, and as a specific to 'restore balance to deranged constitutions'. Malted Milk would give stamina to cyclists, restore overworked clergymen, business-men, and 'brain workers', and 'spread health instead of typhoid-which cannot always be said of cow's milk', it was presented as a significant factor in winning the South African War, while those who did not drink it appeared to be in imminent danger of serious illness or death. One of the second series of 'paragraphs' is typical:

THE CHILD LOOKS LIKE A CHANGELING. It is quite shrunk and shrivelled; its eyes seem dim; its skin is clammy; it wails rather than cries. And it was such a bonny baby a few weeks back. What can have come over it? In a case like this you may be quite sure that the mischief lies in its food. Give it Horlick's Malted Milk, and you will soon find that it is not a changeling, but your own bonny baby once more. Horlick's Malted Milk is the best food for children in health and sickness. It has saved many little lives when they seemed past all medical aid. All like it, all thrive on it. 'Your chemist will supply it ...

These advertisements had one thing in common: they were all written by A.E. Waite.

The choice of Waite as a copywriter was due to James Elliott, who had set up as an advertising agent after the collapse of the publishing house and had somehow acquired the Horlick's account. So impressed was James Horlick, the English partner of the firm, that he invited Waite to take the post of Manager of the London Office. Waite was offered the appointment in December 1898 but was not able to take it up until the following February, by which time he was suffering from influenza, and on the day he was due to begin work 'reached Victoria more dead than alive and providentially met Elliott by a mere chance. He saw my condition and could think of but one nostrum, being a half tumbler of neat Scotch whisky, adding a splash of water. It was a bad day at the close of February, 1899; and I believe to this moment that the said nostrum saved my life' (SLT, p. 152)

Waite was evidently a man of little faith when it came to the curative value of the product that was about to provide him with his income...

R. A. Gilbert Magician of Many Parts, p.83/84