Tarot and Salt lamps

EmpyreanKnight

It's a lump of salt in which a hole has been cut/drilled to put a housing with a bulb in it.
Real salt - you can eat it.
You won't be able to clean it - except to chip off the top layer if it starts to look grimy, or dissolve off the top layer by wiping it with a wet cloth.

Or are you refering to some "special energetic clearing techniques"? :)

I meant cleaning it once it gets dusty. But hmmmm special energy clearing sounds interesting. Do you have any that you already perform on your lamp or which you suggest?

Zephyros

I meant cleaning it once it gets dusty. But hmmmm special energy clearing sounds interesting. Do you have any that you already perform on your lamp or which you suggest?

I can't seem to find it, but there was a thread once where their care is discussed. In humid climates and apartments they tend to drip. Not very sturdy.

EmpyreanKnight

I can't seem to find it, but there was a thread once where their care is discussed. In humid climates and apartments they tend to drip. Not very sturdy.

Once the summer season starts going here in Manila in mid-March, it does get either very hot or very humid, so thanks for that warning, Zephyros. Even if we have air con, we turn it off when we go to work so yeah. I'm gonna ask around too.

gregory

My daughter has several and the rooms they are in FEEL different. I noticed this before I even saw she had them - at that point I bought her another. I never saw hers drip - I will ask her how she cleans them. I vaguely recall mention of a hair dryer...

Wait:
If your Himalayan salt lamp has been attracting dust and it’s starting to look a bit dingy, no worries! Cleaning a Himalayan salt crystal is easy. Turn off your lamp, unplug it and allow the salt to cool down to room temperature. Then simply moisten a cloth or sponge so the material is damp, but not wet. (A good general rule is to squeeze out as much water as you can before touching cloth or sponge to salt.) Gently wipe away debris from the surface of the crystal and pat dry with a lint-free cloth. Then set your lamp back in its home, plug in and turn it on. Once fully heated, the rejuvenated salt crystal will naturally evaporate off any water left over from its bath.

http://www.naturallivingideas.com/himalayan-salt-lamp-use-care-safety/

But I don't feel any PSYCHIC difference - I don't think they would make a difference to reading as such.

WoodMan33

My initial purpose was to inquire about these himilayan crystals because specific crystals were to help with different readings. I appreciate all feed back and apologize to people who are not in open frame of mind. The ambience is great as well I have on meditation music in background. I'm about to do a reading and have a settled and open mind

gregory

I do find them calming. Just not in relation to reading. And for the record - I just heard back from my daughter:

I have never cleaned mine. Why would one need to??
I am now very jealous. How can her house not have dust ?

Zephyros

I do find them calming. Just not in relation to reading. And for the record - I just heard back from my daughter:

I am now very jealous. How can her house not have dust ?

Dust doesn't bother everyone. I argue with my roommates incessantly about the cleanliness of the kitchen, about which I am very strict, but my room is certainly not neat or clean, and I'm fine with it. If the atmosphere is dry then probably some blowing will clear off most of the visible dust off the lamp.

Tanga

Nope. But give me a minute and I'll make one up...

(Being Wiccan, the words for the general format of purifying salt - whilst one draws a "banishing" pentacle over it - comes to mind = "Blessings be upon you, Oh Creature of Salt, all malignity and hindrance is now cast out from you - and only good resides within. I bless you, that you may aid me in the most holy names of X. *Add your preferred Deity/s, guides, elements, Angels etc. here*).

Yes. (That's because it's a LARGE LUMP OF SALT. :) If you left your cooking or eating salt out in a very humid place it would also absorb the water in the atmosphere until it became liquidised).
First - I kept mine in my therapy room at home. But - when that room is not in-use, my mother puts the laundry racks in there with the sheets to dry. It took me a while to figure out why my salt lamp was dripping! i.e there was a small pool of salty water around the base where it sits whenever I looked.
I've moved it now. Shame I can't keep it in the therapy room for maximum effect there.

My initial purpose was to inquire about these himilayan crystals because specific crystals were to help with different readings. I appreciate all feed back and apologize to people who are not in open frame of mind. The ambience is great as well I have on meditation music in background. I'm about to do a reading and have a settled and open mind

A large lump of salt (which is what the Himalayan Salt Crystal lamp is), and polished semi-presious stones are quite different things - yes?
So I personally would never have thought of putting them "in the same function bag" as it were.

CrystalSeas

US Safety Recall -- Salt Lamps

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a recall of Rock Salt Lamps Sold by Michaels

Michaels Recalls Rock Salt Lamps Due to Shock and Fire Hazards
'
"Description:
This recall involves three rock salt lamps sold under the Lumière brand. The lamps are pink in color and are mounted on a wooden base or in a black metal basket. The lamps were sold in black cardboard boxes with a photo of the lamp on the front of the box and the UPC bar code on the bottom of the box."

yannie

Just got one today. So happy I stumbled across a stall in some mall with so many salt lamps screaming out to me. Mine comes with a marble mount.

The Indian seller observed the way I was feeling the salt lamps then said, "You know something." Then he got all metaphysical with me :laugh:

I read that in humid climates, wrapping your Himalayan salt block in plastic keeps it from weeping. An ordinary plastic bag will do, or cling-wrap, which was what the seller did - all the rocks on display were wrapped in cling wrap. & no wonder he tied the heavy rock up in a plastic bag instead of putting it in a box...

I unwrapped mine and within an hour it started weeping. Switched it on & now it feels dry to the touch :) I suppose if you keep it wrapped in plastic when it's not in use, it won't require cleaning/dusting.