Year spread: could it change through time...?

Francis13

Back in January I made a general year spread, a card to each month (January to December).
Im looking at it to see if the last 4 months I experienced something like the cards told me it could happen but I dont see it makes sense now...

Could the cards change throughout the year because of what I decide or are the cards a tool to see our destiny?

rwcarter

It depends on how you use tarot - for prediction or for information. I'm in the information camp. I believe that tarot shows us what will happen if existing energies continue along the path that they're currently in. Some believe that tarot shows what will happen regardless. I firmly believe in free will and each person's ability to change outcomes (and behaviors leading to those outcomes) if they don't like them.

So if none of the cards make sense, it's possible that you did something in December (if that's when you did the reading or January if that's when you did it) that changed your path, invalidating the cards that don't make sense to you. If you're into science fiction, you created an alternate timeline for yourself. I wouldn't throw the whole reading away though as this new timeline of yours still might involve one or more of the cards in the rest of the reading. While I do believe that each of us has the power to prevent most events shown by the tarot, some events are predestined (death for instance) and will occur regardless of what we do.

Rodney

Grizabella

When I do a year spread, I use three cards per position, making each month a three-card reading. I think that gives more of a complete picture and is easier to read. More time consuming, granted, but it does give more substance to read for each month.

Another factor you should consider is that all these mini-readings form a cohesive chain. No month usually stands totally alone. They each intertwine and form kind of a spider web The story of our life consists of actions and reactions that all influence each other. Life is a process, after all, and what we do or think one month can have distinct repercussions further down the line. :) If a month's cards don't make sense, go back and see how that month's cards tie in to the months before.

We do have free will and we can make changes if we see something on the horizon that isn't to our liking, but sometimes we make changes but then give up after awhile because it's easier to just not bother.

barefootlife

I think if you make changes in your life, your cards can change. I've found the single-month cards in my year spread seem to correspond to the general mood of the month instead of a single event. But I also used this spread: http://tarot-sybarite.tumblr.com/post/106268724133/from-silverspiralorg-every-year-right-around, which is a little more complex than just a card per month. So far, the overarching theme has been right on. Perhaps I'm not changing enough (I have a lot of Earth energy, for better and worse). It also probably depends a bit on how old you are - I know that my life used to take a lot more sudden turns than it does now.

Rachx

When I do a year spread, I use three cards per position, making each month a three-card reading. I think that gives more of a complete picture and is easier to read. More time consuming, granted, but it does give more substance to read for each month.

Another factor you should consider is that all these mini-readings form a cohesive chain. No month usually stands totally alone. They each intertwine and form kind of a spider web The story of our life consists of actions and reactions that all influence each other. Life is a process, after all, and what we do or think one month can have distinct repercussions further down the line. :) If a month's cards don't make sense, go back and see how that month's cards tie in to the months before.

We do have free will and we can make changes if we see something on the horizon that isn't to our liking, but sometimes we make changes but then give up after awhile because it's easier to just not bother.

Hi Grizabella - when doing your annual reading do you regather and shuffle the whole pack between each month, so you have a whole deck to choose from for every month? Sometimes I'm not sure if an annual reading needs a whole deck each time because it's such a deep and big spread?

Barleywine

When I do long-range spreads like the Wheel of the Year, I see each monthly increment as showing the likely "tone" for a month rather than the occurrence of significant events. I've started pulling what I call a "trigger" card at the beginning of each month and matching it up with the monthly/quarterly cards previously drawn to see whether any dynamic interaction - either positive or negative - might occur between them that could indicate fulfillment of or departure from the original promise. The more stimulating the relationship, the more likely it would be to reflect an active period. Neutral pairings wouldn't do much to shake up the original script.

snowmoon

Back in January I made a general year spread, a card to each month (January to December).
Im looking at it to see if the last 4 months I experienced something like the cards told me it could happen but I dont see it makes sense now...

Could the cards change throughout the year because of what I decide or are the cards a tool to see our destiny?

hi, i don't think it would change at all . i use 78 cards ,

i draw out 1 cards for each month for year spread..