Going Professional

blackroseivy

Hey all, I am making the transition - gonna be paid! :D Someone on another board is gathering people to work for her, + I want my own site. Basically, would this be workable? If I have my own site, will I be competing with her & taking business away? If so, I'll keep my own website quiet & just work both. Is this the wrong thing to do? (Yet ANOTHER ethics question!) Any suggestions for how to go about the reading? I tend to be succinct - should I be more long-winded when getting paid? If I wind up doing a 900 #, what is the best way to go about having a spiel? I'm not into "padding" just to get more money - I want to be honest. I wonder if anyone else is doing anything, or if you know anything. Any thoughts out there?

dadsnook2000

Comments

There is an old business saying -- "A business without a sign is a sign of no business." Why should you keep your website quiet. Be up front, out front, visible, aggressive and proud of your endeavor.

You can also work with others. As long as you respect their business and act in their interest while working for them there is no reason why working in two locations should be a problem. If it is, then part company businesswise and try to remain friends. The business will go where the customer service and satisfaction is best -- don't be afraid to compete or to do your best.

If a friend doesn't want you to be a competitor than he/she doesn't realize that there are a zillion other competitors out there -- its better to have competition that you know.

Good luck, Dave

contrascarpe

I do not do online readings professionally, so I am not sure how I would handle this.

I do, however, read at a local bookstore. I would not go down the road and work for one of their competitors. They gave me my chance to do readings and I remain loyal to them. Another local bookshop asked me to read for them and I politely refused. I will, however, do parties and readings at the homes of others if given the chance. When I designed my business card, I included my email address, cell phone number and also the name and number of the bookstore.

Dan

Flidais

That's a tricky one, danubhe. Contrascarpe offers a good analogy. Would you consider it acceptable to work at one shop while secretly operating your own similar shop on the side? I think that could easily backfire and make enemies for you. Think about it very carefully.

Ace

danubhe said:
Hey all, I am making the transition - gonna be paid! :D Someone on another board is gathering people to work for her, + I want my own site. Basically, would this be workable? If I have my own site, will I be competing with her & taking business away? If so, I'll keep my own website quiet & just work both. Is this the wrong thing to do? (Yet ANOTHER ethics question!)

Are you working for her AND for yourself? maybe that is not a good idea. As for competing with her, that is not a problem, there is room for all, business constantly expands, so don't worry about taking bread from her mouth. If you are worried about taking costumers that you met at her site to yours, don't mention your own stuff while working for her but if they find you on their own, I say that is OK.

If you want your own site AND to work for her, I would ask her what policy should work for both of you. Personally: I say, strike out on your own and don't do hers at all. That way, no conflict!

As a entertainment reader, this can come up. We get a call directly from a client we worked with through an agency. Then the rule is 12 months. If they call you within 12 months of working with you via the agency, you must refer them back to the agency but after 12 months, you are feel to get their business.

I hope that helps some.
Ace

augursWell

In the U.S. it's common to see half a dozen fast food places when you pull off the highway: Burger King, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Wendy's, KFC, etc. There is a reason they all setup shop there, if a customer doesn't feel like one place to eat then they will try one of the others. Contrary to normal logic, business logic says that it is good to setup shop right next door to your competition. I don't mean that you should be unethical but that you and your friend can both have tarot reading websites without it being a problem. You might even consider cross-linking to each other's websites.

You probably will have to decide at some point whether to go it alone. I think it comes down to the type of relationship you have with the other person.

blackroseivy

Well, I have delved into it a bit more deeply. First let me say I appreciate the advice; & now to what I have learned. This person is rude & b****y on the board - doesn't want to do it the moderators' way - this is what I find most significant. After that, there is the fact that she just e-mailed back saying that her "business advisor" had told her that she would be "giving away her own business" to have others working for her. I actually think a conglomerate might be a better idea; but that's me. Personally, I sure could benefit from her promotion (she obviously has an actual BUDGET, unlike poor me here) so that might be influencing me in telling her to go for it. But then I saw her whiney little argument with the mods, saw that it was hardly the 1st time for this sort of thing, & decided that maybe I'd be better off on my own after all...

Now: What is the best way to promote a Tarot website? I know that I have to link to "All Things Tarot", & this is about all I know right offhand. "Magickal Blend" magazine has a readership in the millions, & is international; but I'm nowhere near being able to advertise (even in Classifieds) with them. It's an ambitioin of mine; but for now, where else does a Tarot site get noticed? Oh, remembering here that I have next to no money. But I will do what I can. If I can!

Thanx again everybody!! :D

psychicbody

Hey, mind PMing me about that business?

If you start your own site, I suggest visiting your Office of State and make sure starting your own psychical business is legal and if you need a licence ;)

joya250

Hi Danubhe :)

Good luck on going 'professional'. I'm sure you'll be great at it.

Psychicbody has some good advice though -- be sure to check out the laws. I am actually involved in a court case at the moment (I used to live in Philly) dealing with fraud/fortune-telling. Apparently "fortune-telling" is illegal in the state of PA...

lunes

danubhe said:
What is the best way to promote a Tarot website? ..... but I'm nowhere near being able to advertise (even in Classifieds) with them. It's an ambitioin of mine; but for now, where else does a Tarot site get noticed? :D

Hi Danubhe - websites: my speciality.
I have a jewellery business and needed to set up a website which would get good coverage and be easy to setup and above all maintain. I used a company sitemaker and they actually do "free" sites now. If you click on my website then go the guestbook / news section there is a page there allowing you to create your own site - it has no connection with mine but by going through my site I earn points. Please let me know if you have any problems.

As regards advertising - I have never paid for advertising and as you can see from my site I have had in excess of 14 000 visitors since March 2004. My boutique on-line functions well. All I did was list my site with Google and also with a couple of UK business sites which offered to advertise my site for free if I linked in with them. I have now moved to France and am hitting the French market in the same way.

If you are good - word of mouth works quick n easily and what's more if you have a catchy business card with your site on then people will soon notice.

It's worked for me! :)
Keep me posted!
:TSTRE