Knight of Swords bringing change...

clarity

caridwen said:
I've had the Knight of Swords to represent arguments. Sometimes arguments can feel like the Tower or bring about Tower like changes.

Does it sometimes signify feelings of anger or aggression in a reading?

mollymawk

It certainly can. Again, much depends on the reader, the readee (for lack of a better word), the question, and the way the cards interact.

Dulcimer

ironmama said:
...the knight of swords kept coming into the readings, and when he did, she miscarried.
OK. It is no good to say it kept coming into the readings - where did it come in and in what readings? What question was asked? Also, are you stating there is a connection between the miscarriage and the recurrence of the card? You began by saying it has been turning up with The Tower and Death. So what is leading you to connect the miscarriage to the Knight of Swords rather than to Death?

ironmama

Knight of Swords

Dulcimer-
I would have to go back and look to see the exact positions, I wrote down some of the readings. Basically this friend of mine would ask various questions about her relationship, about the health of the developing baby. What came up that was recurrent re: the knight of swords, was she concieved once, and I did a couple of one or three card readings for the health of the baby, and at first the cards that came up were strength, 6 of cups, etc. Then I did another reading for her a couple of weeks later, and the knight of swords came up. The first intuition in my brain was "it's leaving". I didn't quite know what to say to her, I didn't want to upset her, so I told her of the traditional meanings, and basically focused on how her thoughts were probably racing about the whole situation, a baby brings a lot of plans that need to be made and other things to consider, so air/thoughts, etc. Then a couple of days later she told me she miscarried. A few months later she concieved again, and came to me for a reading. We did a general outlook for her situation, and, now I'm sorry I don't remember the exact positions, but some of the reinforcing cards were 4 of wands and 2 of cups for her situation, page of cups and queen of cups for her, lots of 7 and 8 of pentacles. Then when I did a reading for her a few weeks later the 8 of wands appeared. So I pulled a couple of cards to get a better idea of what kind of news she might expect to hear. The knight of swords came up. Again, a few days later, she lost the baby. So this is the recurrence that I'm talking about.
It brings up from my point of view, an opportunity to learn more about what the card represents, I like expanding what I know about each card and also because before I had never had it come up in such a situation.

Dulcimer

This must have been a terrible time. Not only for your friend, but also for you.

I have never come across the knight of Swords in that context before. It is difficult to see how anyone would be able to interpret the card as referring to a miscarriage. Even when you have that leap of intuition as you did to actually anounce that it could even be a possibilty would be something only an arrogant or reckless reader would do.

Sadly we have another meaning to add to our interpretation of this card. Your friend's tragic experiences have added to the depth of meaning for the Knight. A meaning I hope and pray will rarely if ever be read. It looks as though the Tarot was teaching you the new meaning being applied to the card in this situation.

In hindsight the much maligned Pictorial Key to the Tarot gives "There is...a sense in which the card signifies death, but it carries this meaning only in its proximity to other cards of fatality."

If you will forgive my presumption, just a tip about the 8 of Wands; it actually means "a swift end to a situation". The card for communication is properly the Page of Wands (RWS). There are a lot of additional interpretations for the 8 Wands to confuse us, of whch "communication" is one, but you can keep things simple by sticking to the above (the Tarot will deal the cards accordingly).

So now I'm thinking that the 8 of wands in combination with the Knight of Swords is something we should take a closer look at if they turn up in a reading.

caridwen

clarity said:
Does it sometimes signify feelings of anger or aggression in a reading?

Yes and those feelings or that anger is heading right towards you. For me it's usually an impending argument coming my way or I'm about to 'cut someone down to size'. He carries the Ace of Swords which is a powerful symbol of truth but the sword cuts both ways. I'm guilty of rushing in where angels fear to tread (sorry about all the cliche's) so sometimes it's a warning to pause and rewind, to keep your mouth shut, to not rush in so quickly with your views. It's an immature card, the 'I hate you!' of the teenager.

YDM42

I am sorry to hear about your friend and this is delicate situation to discuss, and to share.
IMHO---Way way way too many readings. Having suffered repeated miscarriages, I would warn your friend of repeated readings and aside from that STRESS.
Our bodies are really efficent and they respond in ways we may not even understand, producing certain chemicals under stress that adversly affect growing fetus. It could be arguments inducing the stress-inducing the miscarriages- or anything. Some souls / babies thrive in any type of enviroment, others need peace to come into this world. Mine only survived when the enviroment was peaceful.

ironmama said:
Dulcimer-
I would have to go back and look to see the exact positions, I wrote down some of the readings. Basically this friend of mine would ask various questions about her relationship, about the health of the developing baby. What came up that was recurrent re: the knight of swords, was she concieved once, and I did a couple of one or three card readings for the health of the baby, and at first the cards that came up were strength, 6 of cups, etc. Then I did another reading for her a couple of weeks later, and the knight of swords came up. The first intuition in my brain was "it's leaving". I didn't quite know what to say to her, I didn't want to upset her, so I told her of the traditional meanings, and basically focused on how her thoughts were probably racing about the whole situation, a baby brings a lot of plans that need to be made and other things to consider, so air/thoughts, etc. Then a couple of days later she told me she miscarried. A few months later she concieved again, and came to me for a reading. We did a general outlook for her situation, and, now I'm sorry I don't remember the exact positions, but some of the reinforcing cards were 4 of wands and 2 of cups for her situation, page of cups and queen of cups for her, lots of 7 and 8 of pentacles. Then when I did a reading for her a few weeks later the 8 of wands appeared. So I pulled a couple of cards to get a better idea of what kind of news she might expect to hear. The knight of swords came up. Again, a few days later, she lost the baby. So this is the recurrence that I'm talking about.
It brings up from my point of view, an opportunity to learn more about what the card represents, I like expanding what I know about each card and also because before I had never had it come up in such a situation.

Heavensent

I believe the meaning of the knight of swords will also have to depend on the deck as well as what you feel it means. For instance, in one of my decks (Lovers' Tarot by Jane Lyle) he signifies a romantic surprise and, unexpected encounters, and spontaneous change which may or may not be what the person is looking for. I agree with what someone else said (I am paraphrasing of course :))if you are not comfortable with change then this isn't the guy you want to see in a reading nor do you want to see 'ye ole' tower.

ironmama

Dulcimer said:
If you will forgive my presumption, just a tip about the 8 of Wands; it actually means "a swift end to a situation". The card for communication is properly the Page of Wands (RWS). There are a lot of additional interpretations for the 8 Wands to confuse us, of whch "communication" is one, but you can keep things simple by sticking to the above (the Tarot will deal the cards accordingly).

So now I'm thinking that the 8 of wands in combination with the Knight of Swords is something we should take a closer look at if they turn up in a reading.
So true..... after doing a reading where the 8 of wands and the knight of swords turned up, I did find it necessary to re-evaluate what i knew about the 8 of wands as well. I did some research and found some interpretations that pointed out that the 8 wands had been shot into the air with great precision and effort, however, they were all aimed downwards at this point, about to hit the ground, and yes, "a swift end to a situation". For example, a project or an effort that had started off well, but was not going to finish....
No presumption, Dulcimer, a good interpretation! I believe it was when i first started reading tarot that some interpretations got cemented into my conciousness but it is very important to always keep my mind open to other interpretations as well :)

cattarot

I think I've seen this relation before. The knight of swords could indicate the failure of the fetus to properly attach to the uterine wall. It could also signify the abruption which ruptured the connection between the fetus and the uterine wall. Then the tower is the actual event of the miscarriage which is devastating physically, emotionally, and psychologically.