Renaissance Festival Readings

Woodsong

I've done email readings for quite a while (although I've just taken a rather long break) ... but am now considering setting up a booth at a startup local Renaissance Fair (beginning next spring).

I've never done this before, so have no idea what "gotcha's" I might run into. For instance, is booth location better near the entrance -- near the drinks -- near the bathrooms -- etc. I'm thinking of doing mainly "quicky" 2 card readings -- my main goal being to pass around business cards and build up my mailing list for my email readings. Was thinking of offering free readings, but others have suggested it's best to charge for them.

I've heard of someone doing a "1 card, 1 yes/no answer, 1 dollar" thing -- but don't know how I feel about it.

What about staffing? Do you need a "barker" to gather prospects -- or will a single-person operation work?

I'll probably set up in a pavillion-style tent this go round -- if it goes well, will look into building a gypsy-wagon for future events. Costumes for the Fair are no problem.

Does anyone sell things other than readings? Cards, books, CD's, etc -- or is it just readings?

Any tips, thoughts, or advice will be gratefully accepted!

Sheri

I did my first Ren Faire last summer. I treated it just like reading at a psychic fair or other expo... just in costume and such.

The Faire I did (and am doing again this year) was very stringent on the appearance of the booths, and require vendors each year to submit photos of booths before being accepted. I didn't have a choice where my booth was, but had a good location and did VERY well.

I offered 2 prices for readings: $5.00 "quickies" and my usual $20 for 15/20 min readings. I will NOT be doing that this year. With the $5 readings, the sitters still expected more and they weren't that popular. This year, I'm just offering $20 readings.

My son's girlfriend acted as my receptionist and was responsible for my being rather busy, as people would walk by, she would be very nice and ask if they wanted readings. Most said yes :)

I did not sell anything as the price for space would have been significantly higher than it was for a reading space. I would NOT want to be near the bathrooms... My spot last year was near a stage that had hourly performances by a very popular group. I really liked my space!

You will really like doing Ren Faires!

:love: Sheri

Rev_Vesta

for me personally I started doing a basic quick 10 min reading.. I used 6 cards.......then eleborated using another quick spread to clarify.....

I charged $5 and ended up doing 35 readings in 2 days.......

I also offered a 20 min reading with 2 x 10 card spread....... for $25 which I found alot of people opted for......(an upsell..)

and also used Doreen Virtue's Mermaid and Dolphins $1 1 card reading..... and found a few teens opted for this......that took less than 5 mins......

3 basic price points......
I always wrote up my readings, worked for me.......the ways the messages came through......

near entrance I found people saw the first reader and stopped and waited for her to finish ( I think that was why I was busy 1st year.....I was near entrance)....

You need to charge to cover your costs... (people value what they pay for)....Never do free readings.... even if have you use a Karma Jar (add a few xtra large notes in there $5, $10 notes.....makes it look like you have been busy...)prosperity brings abundance........

I have tried both and have found it is easier to only do readings if on own and if you have someone to help out, then go ahead and sell other product....

have an xtra table away from your reading table with business cards, a pricelist and info about who you are...so people can pick up your info without disturbing you if you are busy with a reading, but then you can talk to them if you are free......about what you offer.......

Hope helps...

Good luck......and can;t wait to hear how you went.....

Vesta

Sheri

When I did my Faire, I did 20 $20 readings in a 10 hour period... 11 on one day and 9 on the other. And this was in 110 degree temps both days. :bugeyed:

I believe I undersell my readings at $20 a pop, but I don't like making change, so $20 is easier. :D

I also used decks and oracles for the period (1585), a Cary-Yale Visconti, reproduction 16th century playing cards, repro wooden dice, and my favorites... sheeps knuckles :D (they were resin reproductions)!

I think it will be VERY COOL if you could make a wagon for your faire, Woodsong!

I frequently use more than one throw per reading, too, Rev Vesta!

:love: Sheri

Rev_Vesta

so cool Sheri.... yes can get quite busy....and very hot.........

have to remember the water, Spiraluna, and some dried fruit and nuts to nibble on between clients....

and keep yourself free of unwanted energies, seems it is quite easy to pick up on others when doing that many readings.....

I always make a check list and check, recheck and recheck and recheck ......
there always seems to be something you forget....lol