Runes

F.M. Tarot

dvorah ophir said:
i am afraid i have sparked a somewhat heated argument... not my intention
i do not know that much about runes- only from the blum cards , and so i dont have your background in this area- all i know is that i dont much like the witches runes, or the power of the runes and for me the rune cards by blum is the deepest in hidden meenings- it gives you so much to think about and his text is very inteligent. (the cards are nice on the eyes to).the set stands on its own.and so what if he incorporate the medicine wheel as well?
does not tarot people like to use astrology and the kabala?
it ads another idea another dimention-you dont have to use it but its a sugestion. open your mindes!
the black and white rune cards look beutiful-maybe i will buy them
just my opinions-dvorah

I am not sure what grafting Astrology and the Kabbalah onto Tarot cards has to do with somehow incorporating Blum's personal add-ons and fake history into an ancient divination system? :confused: Many, many people do not use Astrology with Tarot and even more don't go anywhere near placing Kabbalah onto Tarot, me included.

Astrology and Kabbalah are unto themselves ancient arts and sciences, Ralph Blum's thoughts and stories on the Runes are of course neither of those.

You won't be disappointed in Linsell cards! Really though, Runes are first and foremost not cards, so if anyone is really interested in them it would be good to get or make your own set of stone runes, or whatever material interests you.

Le Fanu

Ive never been into Rune cards particularly. I like the tactile quality of runes in wood or clay or stone. I like them to feel that they come from the earth...

However, the other week, I came across (among other decks in a shop selling tarot) some runes cards in a very simple box with the name of Holitzka on the cover. The same Holitzka who did those I-Ching cards and the Diamond Tarot.

I came home and did a search on them, but couldn't find any mention of them whatseoever. I begin to wonder whether I dreamt it, but no.. I went back to the shop and there they are...

Anyone have these?

TarotDave

I don't know how if this is any help but I found a little book on runes years ago called A Practical Guide to the Runes by Lisa Peschel & I found it very good. I am sure that the interpretations would work just as good with cards as rune-stones.

dvorah ophir

runes

to r.m foly
hope i spell correctly your name...
i still dont understand what the history of the runes got to do with actualy using them or what is so wrong in combining two or more oracles -like tarot and astrology and runes and medicine wheel-at the end of the day an oracle should stand on its own-is it goog and is it good for you-the magic is in you as jesica mecbeth said-and i agree
no wrong using rune cards instead of the stones-all are modern and were not realy the original anchaint thing-same for all of this tools-they are just tools you know...

dvorah ophir

runes

sorry ...it was for F.M. Tarot
and not the strang name i just accidently invented
full appology for that one

Emily

I was doing a search on Amazon only the other day and I found that Lo Scarabeo have rune stone sets ready for April 2010 - I didn't even know they were selling them - I've never used crystal runes only terracotta but the amethyst and rose quartz ones are pulling me in. :)

cardlady22

I love my Mixed Gemstones rune set from Lost Mountain Trading Company! But, I'm just as enthralled with my two wooden sets from Tara Hill Designs, one of the Elder Futhark and the other with the Anglo-Saxon.

Emily

I've also got some Rune cards that were given away with a magazine I used to collect. I'll get some scans up of them - they're not very big but I do like them and the set I made myself from garden pebbles, nice but heavy. :)

rachelcat

Late to this thread, I thought I'd stick in my random rune cards collection. (Runes are high, but not first!, on my next-to-study list, but I can't resist collecting the cards anyway!)

Aquarian Rune Pack (By Anthony Clark, same person who did the Magickal Tarot, in very much the same style)

Casting the Runes (very simple and pretty)

Hugin & Munin (CardLady, are you using these? :))

Odin’s Rune Cards (also simple and lovely, all golden!)

Rune Cards (Blum, Gern) (These are the Blum cards that use natural objects in a kind of collage. Different!)

Rune Magic (Very inexpensive and informative)

Runic Tarot (by Caroline Smith. No good as tarot, but the "majors" are beautiful runes!) http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/runic/

Witches Runes (already mentioned, by Nigel Jackson) http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/witches-runes/

I'd be interested to hear how using cards and using stones/wooden runes, etc., are different. Any experences?

shadowdancer

I would also add a recommendation of Cassandra Eason's book Runes for Today's Woman (or something similar... am typing on the lap top in bed having just woken up so don't have it to hand)

Easy reading which makes it easy to learn. Also, you end up making your own runes which really adds to the fun and learning process.

When I started with these runes I created a small card index system, a card for each rune and used that for the readings. I did find they were spot on and in a way I much preferred them to the Blum system.

Not sure if the book is in print but if you see it anywhere as a bargain bin book it is worth a read - trust me. I also used her book from the same range to do readings with crystals. Again, an easy and straightforward read and it really does seem to work well for me.

If you want the indepth and very serious study though, these books would not be for you

Davina