New book - "Explaining the Tarot"

Moonbow

Not sure I'm right Pru, Andy's site has the B ordering slightly different but it seems to be the only card missing.

I made notes from the book before looking at the chart in any detail and I was surprised that I matched the chart other than I had Temperance with no match.

Anyway, while I'm here I want to say to the musketeers that I am totally enthralled by this little book. For reading with an historical deck this is an invaluable resource. My personal interest is in finding the oldest spreads and methods of reading (I leave the hard work to the experts), and I have made notes from these essays which I am excitedly keen to try out. Of course, the chart is also a bonus, giving a quick precis of what the Francesco Piscina and Anon wrote about the order and meanings of the cards at the time. This book opens up so many possibilities for the card reader.

prudence

Ross G Caldwell said:
I trust you'll find Marco's schematic comparison chart helpful.

Ross
Now I am starting to get confused, is the schematic comparison chart the one Moonbow* linked to, or am I missing something?

Moonbow

Pru, I got the chart with my email from the publishers when I ordered the book. It compares Piscina's and Anon's views of the cards. The link I gave was to Andy Pollett's site. I hope I didn't confuse things.

prudence

Moonbow* said:
Pru, I got the chart with my email from the publishers when I ordered the book. It compares Piscina's and Anon's views of the cards. The link I gave was to Andy Pollett's site. I hope I didn't confuse things.
Oh, well, I don't know if I got the same thing...? I need to go check my email.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

prudence

I know what happened to my chart, when I order thru Paypal, it is under my husband's name, so the email went to him...and he deleted it. I just went through his email Trash and it is gone. :(

Is there a chance that I can request another email with the schematci chart, Marco, Ross, or Theirry?

edit; no need to email me with the chart, Ross, Marco, and Theirry, a very helpful member here just mailed it to me. :)

DoctorArcanus

Thanks to everyone for your appreciation of our book!
Moonbow et al., I am particular happy that you think the discourses are helpful in reading cards: I like seeing tarot history meet contemporary divination. This proves that Tarot cards still have many things to say :)

I confirm that in the Anonymous Prudence seems to be a replacement for Temperance (that is missing). This detail is very strange and it is not easy to imagine a reason for it. Possibly, since the author interpreted this virtue as a counterpart for Strength, he introduced Prudence, that conveys the meaning of superior wisdom.

This takes us to Enrique's question, because the parallel between Strength and Prudence is very similar to that between Swords and Batons, as interpreted by Anon. I agree that the other three suits are more easily interpreted: Batons vary a lot in shape while the other three have a quite specific function. Maces, clubs, sceptres, wands (and polo sticks) are all different objects with different functions. And I hope that someday someone will understand what Sola-Busca Batons represent :)

In my opinion, it is well possible that this confusion arises from the impossibility of correctly interpreting Mamluk polo sticks (in ancient times that game was unknown in the western world).

gregory

Moonbow* said:
Goodness; how embarrassing..... I didn't notice it. Thanks for the heads up or I might have binned it now the book is here !

Bernice

Unable to buy this book!

The order page will not proceed without the entry of a Home Phone number. I haven't got one. I tried entering "n/a" (not applicable), no luck. BUMP.

Is there anywhere else I can buy it?

Bee :)

Ross G Caldwell

Bernice said:
Unable to buy this book!

The order page will not proceed without the entry of a Home Phone number. I haven't got one. I tried entering "n/a" (not applicable), no luck. BUMP.

Is there anywhere else I can buy it?

Bee :)

Hi Bee! I'm sorry to hear that - it must be a PayPal thing. I'll forward your message to Sally at Maproom and see if she can change the settings or make alternate arrangements with you.

I'll get back to you privately when she responds. If the information will be helpful to others, I'll post it.

Ross