What you should know about posting images here

baba-prague

It's always a little difficult to know how to react when someone posts something taken from, say, a popular tv series or film, because it often seems to be done innocently and, if it's just for the person's own fun and interest, then there seems to be no real harm. But you're right, it is a fine dividing line sometimes. I think Tom has a hard job sometimes to decide whether to intervene or not.

I think what several of us reacted to on another thread is what appeared (perhaps it wasn't meant that way, but it is how it appeared) to be a request for help with breaching copyright. I certainly read it not as "sorry, I didn't know that was copyright" but more as "yes, yes, I know it's copyright, how do I crack the encryption codes?" I think at that point a clear line HAS been breached and Tom was right to step in.

gothicphoenixx

"Legal protection is indeed possible, eg by registering your copyright etc - but can you afford to sue in the country in which the infringement was made?"

That's generally the problem, especially with writing, is that the amount it would cost to retain a lawyer and sue is unaffordable and far under what could possibly be gained in a trial. From my understanding, at least in the US, something is copyright protected the moment you write it/draw it/paint it, etc. Of course, you can pay to get the stuff copyrighted where you'll have documentation of it, but it's not practical if you write a lot or sell a lot of pieces. You just have to hope that people respect that you created something, and like retrokat, hope they get karmic kickback for it if they don't.

As far as digital images, when you post something or save it on your computer or website, the date is registered in there. So, if the date wherever you've stored the image/writing is previous to whatever date somoene claims it was stolen (which is what you've had to make sure they claim before you say you have proof) then you're probably okay, but burdon of proof rests with the accusor. I hope that none of us ever have to be in that position, and it's sad that any one has to be.

RedMaple

Back to the copyright question. I'm a writer with three books out, and it is absolutely true that you own the copyright as soon as the words are put down on paper -- or computer.

If you are concerned with proving copyright, you don't need to register. Just put a copy in an envelope and mail it to yourself. Do not open it when you get it. The postal stamp is proof of the date. You can keep these in a box somewhere just in case. It's a lot cheaper than registering.

My husband said that anything you do on your computer has a date on it, so the first file it's in is also probably proof of copyright, as anything stolen will have a later date.

No writers I know register any of their copyrights. Once it's in book form, it gets a registered copyright by the publisher along with an ISBN, and what that covers is in your contract.

Piracy is heinous, and we do need to protect ourselves from it, but I think we also need to avoid spending money we don't need to spend. People out there can really prey on our fears.

HudsonGray

Actually mailing an unopened copy to yourself is totally useless, it can be faked too easy and it won't hold up in court. Just as taking a photo of you holding something, that won't hold up either. Those myths are about 3 decades old but they still float around.
http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/artsaction/copyright.htm

To be completely covered you need to copyright it with the copyright office, or have an editor do that on the work, though it is assumed that you own all the rights--it's what stands up in court that really counts, for that you need the form saying you're the owner/creator.

gothicphoenixx

Well, this is true, that you only have basic protection if you don't officially register. But, the cost of copy right is more than I am likely to make on a given poem or story. And once it does get published, there isn't an extensive need to protect it further unless someone stole it from wherever it was published. In that case, though maybe I can't prove the work is mine, since it would be, there's no way they can prove it's theirs, so nothing would come of it.

HudsonGray

You can do what songwriters do, they group things together and copyright them as a set. For them it would be 'albums' but for poetry it would be as many as you'd need for a book, and for stories (especially short stories) the same thing applies. You could file each year's writings together as one item. Writers get a lot of leeway with copyright like this. Photographers too, they can do a grouping (all cats, all Chicago, all Tennessee, all portraits, etc.) and not have to worry about covering each one individually. You'd only have to send in one $30 fee to cover the entire batch.

It works a little different with toy making, a dollmaker or soft sculpture artist can only group together things that would be sold as sets - like a Noah's Ark group or Snow White & the 7 Dwarves (these are just examples of sets). If I had 4 different dragon dolls and they'd never be sold in those groups of 4, then I'd have to file and pay separately on each one. But a tarot deck & book/booklet is 'one set'.

gothicphoenixx

hm..well if that is the case, then perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea.

karacol

Updating copyright?

HudsonGray said:
You can do what songwriters do, they group things together and copyright them as a set. ...a tarot deck & book/booklet is 'one set'.

This is a very practical idea. My question is, does anyone know about updating a registered copyright?

I have a deck in progress, and I would like to register it, but I certainly cannot afford to register the images individually. If I registered them in bulk, could I update the copyright to include new images? Could I update the copyright to include newer versions of the same images? Is it worth protecting a deck before it is completed?

I've read too much about ripped-off work, and I've invested too much energy into my deck to be non-chalant about protecting it. But copyright is a pretty complex animal... any insight is very appreciated!

karacol

Baba:

I am in the USA. Thanks for the link, though you've exposed me as looking for the quick answer! :D