Harry Potter Tarot

Kaylee Marie

I like the dementors as 9 of swords... "feeling as if I'd never be happy again," as Ron so aptly put it.

5 of wands would be perfect as a Quidditch match, but I see the 7 of wands as Dumbledore's Army. Standing up for what they believed in, these kids faced seemingly insurmountable odds with bravery and a fighting style all their own.

True, Trelawney is a flake, but I don't see Hermione as any better a fit for the High Priestess. She's much too cerebral, not nearly spiritual enough. She puts all her faith in books, not the greater energies/belief systems of religion and philosophy. Other than Firenze, I can't think of any characters that are truly spiritual and connected with the world in the sense of the High Priestess. But he's male, so I don't think that would work....

Perhaps a good High Priestess will present herself in Book 6 or 7. I agree that Trelawney doesn't work here. Her spiritual epiphanies are too hit-and-miss. Only two prophecies in 16 years? And they happened by accident! What kind of track record is that for a "High" Priestess?

I completely agree with Hudson Gray in that nothing can be set in stone yet. There are still many adventures to face and new people for Harry to meet in the upcoming books. (Repeating my new mantra: July 15 will be here soon... July 15 will be here soon... :)) And there's really no chance of getting the deck published until all books have been published, translated extensively, and republished in paperback, and all seven movies released on DVD... and still probably another year or more after that. Only after all HP revenue streams have been exhausted will the publishers even consider the idea of signing over the rights to use these images. And that is only if Rowling approves as well. Still, there's no harm in dreaming... brainstorming these cards is a fun way to explore the meanings of various tarot cards. :)

And BTW, Ulfdis, I also see the deck in the same style as Mary Grandpre's illustrations for the books. I simply hate when movie images take over a book. Like now you can't buy Lord of the Rings books w/o cover art from the movies (unless you're buying an older, used copy of course). Whatever happened to encouraging the reader's imagination? And beautiful, hand-drawn illustrations? But that's just a pet peeve of mine. I also hate the photo-realism style in tarot decks that have come out lately. Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist.

SphinYote

Haven't read all the posts yet, but The Mirror of Erised could also be a choice for the Devil (Or possibly 7 of cups, although it might be stretching it). It shows us our desires, and as Dumbledore said, one can pine away looking at what one sees in he mirror, it has that kind of hold over us.

I suppose it depends on if you percieve an innate meaning of evil in the card--Voldemort--or if you see a potential for a positive breakthrough--the mirror.

Lillie

My prediction for the day is that you are all going to get sued by Warner Bros.

However, I also am a reader of the Potter Books.

I say Mirror of Erised for the moon.

And I reckon Filch and Mrs Norris should be in there somewhere.

Arnnaria

Lillie, this is a hypothetical exercise just so we can better understand the Harry Potter characters. At least, thats how I see it!

So, my proposed changes, based upon the discussions above:

Move Lily Evans Potter from the Star to Strength. I love the image of her sitting under the tree reading and petting the monster of the lake. Also a caring image of her standing and defending her son in insurmontable odds would be great.

Justice > The Order of the Phoenix. Seems like a good idea, no?

The Hermit > MAD-EYE MOODY. Why didn't anyone see this earlier? Hehe. I like the idea of Rubeus Hagrid, but Mad-Eye Moody would make a great edition to the lineup of majors.

Someone suggested Firenze as Temperance. I like this idea a lot.

Also, the Dementors are too meek to be The Devil. He Who Must Not Be Named or even the Dark Mark of the Death Eaters is a much better card. Remember, like the Devil, you can successfully infiltrate the Death Eaters to earn great information!

The Tower > Whomping Willow or Shrieking Shack? I like the Shack because it has one of the "toweresque" scenes in it - all our assumptions are shattered. But the Whomping Willow also is not what it appears. What do you all think?

This leaves us with:

0. Young Harry Potter
I. ?
II. Professor Sybil Trelawney
III. Molly Weasley
IV. Professor Minerva McGonogal
V. Professor Severus Snape
VI. ?
VII. Harry riding firebolt chasing the Golden Snitch.
VIII. Lily Evans Potter
IX. Mad-Eye Moody
X. The Sorting Hat
XI. The Order of the Phoenix
XII. Sirius Black
XIII. Fawkes
XIV. Firenze
XV. He Who Must Not Be Named
XVI. Whomping Willow or Shrieking Shack?
XVII. The Star
XVIII. Remus Lupin
XIX. James Potter
XX. ?
XXI. ?

The Magician?

Dumbledore or Ronald Weasley?

And where to put Hermione?

The Lovers: Madame Maxime and Rubeus Hagrid or Lily and James?

So many decisions!

[I assume Judgement and the World will occur in the last book, so its best to leave them blank for now.]

Qofcups

The Lovers

Well, with the way the books have been hinting perhaps Hermoine and Ron will end up making a good couple for this card. Ron certainly seems to be developing a crush.

Webwitch

There is a Harry Potter Tarot Deck already - it is made in China. At the moment, it is discontinued, but if anyone is interested, I now have the url for the site that is selling them from the UK.

Cheers,
Webwitch :)

Kaylee Marie

Hi Webwitch,

Would you mind posting that link? I've googled "Harry Potter Tarot" but only found fan art and many, many ideas for a HP deck -- but not an actual published deck.

I'd love to see the published HP deck.

Thanks,
Kaylee

HudsonGray

Since it's out of Asia it probably violates copyright. JK Rowling has full control over all HP stuff on the market and she hasn't approved a tarot deck yet.

blackroseivy

Call me unethical, but I can't help it, I'm interested too! :) Post away!

MoonMaiden

Ooooh, can't we find a place for weaselly Percy, Bagman, and Victor Krum? How about Tom Riddle, separate from Voldemort? How about Nicholas Flamel for the Magician? Making the stone is a pretty good bit of transmuting the energies of Spirit into matter, eh?