John William Waterhouse Deck

Tk2dsky

I am following this thread with much interest. This is a beutiful idea. Thanks for sharing.
B*B
Ericka

Dancing Bear

Thankyou Roseyelf.
I will definately keep your suggestion in mind..
As I've said before I am New to Tarot and any little bit of help is well received..

Thanks Again !!! :love:

Dancing Bear

Well I am one step away now from getting permission. :)
I will keep you informed.. I am praying I get permission. It is a passion I have now and it would be hard if i didnt get the permission.. I have asked really nicely and outlined what i will be doing with the Paintings, re images added, words , borders etc.. and just using parts of some paintings.

*crossing fingers really tightly*

DB

Owlface

Good luck, DancingBear. I'm not an expert in these things but this deck will be for your own use, right ? Rather than a commercial enterprise ? I wouldn't have thought there'd be a problem. :)

Dancing Bear

Hi roseyelf
Yeh ultimately it will be for myself, the problem lies in being able to share the image in this Forum or any where else for that matter.. I need permission to use the Image and display the altered state.If I were not displaying what i have done and just doing a deck just for me to see .. No problems no need to go any further... I just thought it would be nice to show you guys what i was up to and my progress..
With that i need permission from the appropriate sources..
If I do not get the permission i will have to make the deck just for me to see.
Problem is it has never been done with Waterhouse wholly souly so there could be a real reeason for it. Dont know!!
So it could be likely I dont get the permission to display the works..

I am ** Crossing my fingers tightly though**

Dancing Bear :love:

VoodooGyal

DB, what a great idea! I love the Ophelia by the pond, I brought that poster and still have it .. also have a big Lady of Sharlot picture frame hanging above my bed :D

VoodooGyal

Was thinking .. how about Lady of Sharlot on boat as the Six of Swords or Eight of Swords?

Dancing Bear

Hi VoodooGyal

Cool!! I'm glad you like him, I've only recently discovered him... I am a painter myself and have been tunnel visioned with the Impressionists.. Until a fews weeks back stumbled onto a site and was blown away!!
I instantly got the eisel out and started coming up with different swords, cups, wizards wands, and coins to suit the era's. As you know the deck I use is from another artist Walter Crane, I love him for his detail, being a detail girl myself.. But to have a Pre-Raphaelite Deck is going to be another thing.
I am finding it hard with Waterhouse as far as Male oriented cards are concerned. I have Cleopatra as the Emporer at the Moment..
It can be hard sometimes as in the meanings behind the paintings too.. Waterhouse painted the Emporer Nero, But the painting of him was of him mourning the death of his mother. So am still tossing whether to use him as the Emporer after all.
I think my first big task is to match the paintings to the deck then, being happy with my choices then apply then to card.. I have chosen the Style of lettering, which will be changing in colour to suit the painting. And i think I've decide no borders and just use the Suit Symbols or numbers in the corners of the cards rather than try to place them in the painting. ( at this stage )

I've got Lady Shallot (in boat ) as 10 Swords only because her fate is sealed their is no going back and she is well aware.
Facing the facts, No matter how she struggles to hold on to her previous ideals ( that put her into the position she is in) Her whole way of thinking would have to be changing knowing her fate and wrapping her mind around the fact she was put there in the first place. Surrendering to the Universe. Will bring peace to mind body spirit. Acceptance will bring fresh energy.
Accepting things constantly change.

Birth death rebirth.

what do you think on that???

http://www.jwwaterhouse.com/view.cfm?recordid=28

Heres a link that gives you a poem and the story behind the painting.

I will look at the 6 or 8 swords... Thanks for your input it really is important to me. I need input to make constructive, decisions. And it also makes me look at the cards different ways giving me more insight to the cards.

SO Thankyou again for your input, :)

DB XX

Dancing Bear

OOH!! I have looked at the six and the eight..
I really do like the six, OOpsy daisy now I am tossing 10 swords one Hand 6 Swords in the other.. LOL!! I will sleep on it. see what i come up with tommorrow.

DB xx

Dancing Bear

Just posting up to say i have edited my list and have chosen majority of paintings for cards.. JUst roughly 10 left.
Any input is appreciated :)

VoodooGyal i chose Lady Shallot on boat for the 10 swords. :)
Thanks for your input. it made me revise and re revise the meanings and the painting meanings..

Roseyelf i used Awakening of Adonis as Judgement. Thankyou for your input.