John William Waterhouse Deck

Bernice

Pleased I found this thread. I have a (personal) deck with Waterhouse images. His paintings are gorgeous..

Bee

MysticOracle13

LOVE Waterhouse & would LOVE a Waterhouse deck! Circe is my home girl :)

Dancing Bear

I actually still have this deck on disc.
4 years down the track I have learnt a whole lot more about Tarot.
Wow I cant believe its only been that long. It feels like i have been reading Tarot forever LOL!

Reviving this thread has made me want to go and revise my choices for each card. and then maybe print it out.

I never finished it as life got way too busy.

I did manage to find out that i would have to go to the art galleries to gain permission as most have the copyright rites.
It is a substantial amount of money
per image to use the image if i wanted to show it.

I guess that why that fellows furniture is so expensive, Mind thats if he has gained permission.

But to make this myself, for myself would cost nothing. But my time and materials.
Which takes me to another thing Materials,
It is the card stock i was stuck on. I dont want a thin flimsy card.
I need a card that is maybe the card stock of Buckland Romani. that is nice and thick or even Bohemian gothic is a nice thickness.
Has anyone got any suggestion where i would get card stock from.
I know you can buy blank cards.. But i have never bought it to know what type of quality it is. Can anyone let me know what it is like?

I have found some high quality ink suppliers in my home town so i am set on the ink.

I am glad some of you also Love Waterhouse. His paintings are magical.

LIke I said you have now inspired me to go find that disc and revise it all.

Bernice

Hi Dancing Bear,

I've also looked at decks of blank cards and wondered...... but I saw a review about them somewhere that said the card faces were laminated - no good for painting on :(.

But when searching online once, I did see some place in USA where they said their blank cards had un-laminated faces especially suitable for artists. Not that I claim to be an Artist (capital A :)). But the postage put the price up too much for me.

Bee :)

oak_woman

I've just found this thread and I think the idea of a Waterhouse deck is very interesting, as I too love his work.

It may be of relevance to you to know that I've noticed that several cards in the LS Sorcerers' Tarot are based on Waterhouse paintings. Some of them loosely; some of them quite closely. I first noticed the likeness in The High Priestess - then they all started to jump out at me! Take a look ...

Best wishes
o_w :)

Ashtaroot

Oooooh DB this is wonderful I love Waterhouse:)

Dancing Bear

Reviving this Thread.
Because!!!
I have decided to add up how much it is going to cost me to gain permission to use the J W Waterhouse images that need it, and pay it!!

I must thank AshTaroot for this actually. I will be sending her a rough copy of what i have done thus far. she spurred my interest in continuing to create and refine this deck. I think the copyright laws put me at a grinding halt with this deck.. But since wantign to launch a deck based upon Lord of the Rings, I have been forced to study copyright laws accross the world.. Which made me realise using waterhouse paintings is not hard after all, especially if i have cash behind me, Which i havent got at the mo, but will have!!
Gotta right up a detailed business plan, fine details got to be looked into and presented.

Obviously it is work in progress at the moment.
I am ok to post up the odd image here and there before i gain copyright permission.. so i can give you a sneaky preview of what i am doing with the images. It comes under the fair use law.
But once i have the permission I can post em all up freely..

Obviously since starting this thread i have gained a lot of knowledge on Tarot and no doubt have found some cards that needed to be revised.
Again still studying Tarot to give me the best possible insight to what i am doing.
I am Trying to get a deck put together that would please the professional and novice alike.
I Love Art, and Waterhouse was an exceptional painter.. the Crystal Ball being a favourite. I have actually painted it without the skull and put it in pride of place in my bedroom , right next to me LOL!!

I am still working on the Middle Earth Tarot, and hopefully one day JRRTolkein estate will allow people to buy permission. then that deck will legally be able to be launched.at the moment they have shut shop! i think because the Movie "The Hobbit" is being launched in 2013.

Before i have even finished either deck i have another idea for another deck which i am excited about LOL!! I am in research stage with that one :D !!
But its all looking good too!! Copyright laws researched and its a can do as well.. :D

Obviously my passion lay with Art so the decks will definatley be revolved around Art and the movements and individuals throughout the era's

I have a budget so i do hope the permissions dont cost more than i have..
Maybe they will do a bulk buy deal :)

Anyway I will post up a finished image soon. and hopefully this thread doesnt die and its becomes work that is progressing.

Wish me Luck!!

GryffinSong

Good luck and I look forward to seeing some pics!!! :)

Ashtaroot

Woohooooo looking forward to see it :heart:

rachelcat

Looking forward to seeing this! I'm sure it will be a thing of beauty!