John William Waterhouse Deck

gregory

*adds to preorder list*

That one of Christ with the lantern would make a GREAT Hermit... :)

Babalon Jones

cool idea! I love Waterhouse too and always found the images tarot suitable.

On another forum my avatar is Circe toasting

Dancing Bear

gregory said:
*adds to preorder list*

Yes i have him as the Hermit.. it just fitted beautifully!!
He does look like christ doesnt he :) But he is actually a Greek Philosopher which fits even better. His name Diogenes, born in Sinope.

He was very contraversial in his day, along with his father who was a banker, defaced the face of the curency LOL!! he was exiled from his villiage.
according to some folk legend he consulted the oracle of delphi for advice on what to do. and made it a lifes journey to challenge established customs and virtues.
He believed Virtue was better in action than theory.
Rather than sitting around talking about what Virtue is, he proposed putting it into action.. LOL!! This idea wasnt recieved open armed LOL!

He openly mocked the extravagance of Alexander the great.
he walked through the streets through the day with his lantern, cliaming to look for a human.
To be rid of him and his openly ridiculing those in power, he was captured and he became a slave and was sold eventually ending up in Corinth.

He then proceeded to openly mock masters who felt that they needed slaves and couldnt do anything for themselves.. he thought it a weakness to be extremly dependant on another.
Through a combination of events he ended up an apprentice to Antisthenes ( a pupil of Socrates) His beliefs were eventually fashion into stoicism one of the most enduring schools of greek philosophy.

The Painting is called Diogenes of Sinope
here is the image i am using which doesnt need me to seek copyright permission WOOHOO!!
Some do but this one doesnt ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Waterhouse-Diogenes.jpg

here is more of a blurb on this character that will be the Hermit in the Waterhouse deck. If you are interested, I think he makes a fantastic Hermit!
Very switched on, knowledgable man who made sense, well educated, always seeking to learn more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope

I do have better sources of info on all the paintings, but this wiki blurb is condensed and pretty much bang on anyway.

Hemera

gregory said:
Maybe this is what gregory meant? But it´s by Holman Hunt and not Waterhouse...

Oh, I love Circe and I think your deck looks awesome Dancing Bear!

Attachments

• Hunt The Light of the World 1854.jpg
    Hunt The Light of the World 1854.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 119

gregory

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS.

:|

Tis true :|

Hemera

I must say, though, that I instantly knew which picture you meant, gregory, because it must be the most perfect Pre-Raphaelite Hermit ever! :)

Tansey Ella

I feel so uninformed! the wiki pic with the man naked sitting is the image I have of job from same Bible book.
the images are beautiful.I really like the lady in the boat. looking forward to a deck!

CJ7

Pre-Raphaelite Fan!

I am new to Tarot I am absolutely hooked!!
I have been searching for a deck done with Waterhouses Paintings. Unfortunately i am unable to find one.
I really would like to make my own using his paintings. I would not be looking at selling.
I obviously will have to adjust some of the paintings to include name of cards and at times add an image here and there. I am confident in doing this.
A question i have what would be the best materials to use. I will be using the computer for 97% of the making of them, Printer scanner etc....
I am asking this because i do not want the pictures to rub off if i were to use a photographic paper.
It will take a lot of study of the Tarot and Waterhouse and the history behind each painting........ Because there is a passion I can see no problem YET!!

can anyone help out???

This sounds amazing! I'm a huge Pre-Raphaelite fan! I would love to see it when it's finished, or before if you'd like to share :)

Will you be using card-stock and laminating?

Bumpy_Boo

Dancing Bear, you are my hero! :)

What a wonderful idea. Reading this thread was edge-of-the-seat stuff, waiting to see if you got permission for the images - I have a personal Boris Vallejo deck, but because he and his wife Julie Bell are releasing their own deck, I am (understandably) not allowed to display my cards in any way.

Do keep us posted, I can't wait to see how this turns out

xx

Bhavana

Maybe this is what gregory meant? But it´s by Holman Hunt and not Waterhouse...

Oh, I love Circe and I think your deck looks awesome Dancing Bear!

I have often wondered if Pamela Coleman Smith had the Light of the World in mind when she painted the Hermit.