The Tarot of Aubrey Beardsley

Chronata

oh, I know exactly what you mean...when everything is progressing...moving along like it should...(without problems)
then deck making by hand can be wonderfully meditative and very satisfying experience!

(I do hope you make more eventually...but give yourself time!)

Lillie

I have got to finish this lot first!

If I do it again it will be done with preorders.
That will be better cos I'll know how much stuff I'll need before I start.

You have my undying admiration, Chronata.
These are easy compared to what you are doing.

OnePotato

Lillie said:
There is a lot of work involved, and the cutting out with scissors is sometimes hard work, but other times becomes this sort of meditation and the whole world is reduced to cutting along the lines, and it's all very peacefull and serene and focused.
If anyone knows what I mean by that ramble....
Hello Lillie.

I used to do silkscreen editions, and I have often tried to describe this same thing. When printing, I'd repeat the same set of motions 100 times for each color. Sometimes 25 or 30 colors. Day after day. Total concentration turns totally automatic. Oh, I miss it!!!

On another note...
Consider throwing away the scissors, and getting some single edged razor blades and a steel ruler. It's much more accurate, cleaner and faster. Put little crop marks in the corners and between cards, and zip-zip-zip, you're done. Just be extremely careful not to slice the tips of your fingers as you hold down the ruler. Seriously.

Major Tom

OnePotato said:
On another note...
Consider throwing away the scissors, and getting some single edged razor blades and a steel ruler. It's much more accurate, cleaner and faster. Put little crop marks in the corners and between cards, and zip-zip-zip, you're done. Just be extremely careful not to slice the tips of your fingers as you hold down the ruler. Seriously.

You might also consider a paper trimmer, either with a wheel or a guillotine. For safety's sake a craft knife (exacto? or stanley)works well with a steel rule.

Ahh, the joys of printmaking. :)

Lillie, Where are you sourcing Beardsley's work? I've been a fan of his since my 20s.

Lillie

I have tried cutting with a craft knife and a steel ruler.
My husband sang the praises of this method to me.
But the ruler kept slipping.

A proper paper trimmer might do the job, but I'm not making so many that I want to go out and buy one.

I'm alright with the scissors.

I only have to do 7 more and I have done them all.
So, nearly done.

Where did the pictures come from?
They are all chapter headings from the Mort D'Arthur.
I love those early pictures the best.
In fact my total favourites are the three very very early ones, the two frontispeices from the Mort, (sangreal and questing beast) and the siegfried picture.
The really detalied ones with the hairy lines.

So, chapter headings. I used them because I didn't want to use the more famous illustrations.
I wanted people to see Beardsley pictures that perhaps they hadn't seen before.

I think that was the most fun and the most interesting thing. Going through the pictures and finding the right one for the card.
Of course it ended up with some non traditional choices, but I think they all capture the feel of the card they represent.

Anyhow, it's my tribute to Beardsley.

OnePotato

To keep it from slipping, you can stick a length of masking tape on the underside of the ruler, just inside of the edge. Or buy a ruler with a cork bottom. (These are made for inking. the edge is raised off the surface so the ink doesn't blot under the ruler.)

You can also use a 30-60-90° triangle for cutting. It has a bigger surface area, and is easier to hold down.

A craft knife is good, and easier to handle, but razor blades give the cleanest cut because they are thinner. But I say once again- either way, watch out for your finger tips!

I don't use a guillotine very much because it "cuts off." (You can't make a partial cut that leaves the ends attached, with the crop marks for the other two cuts still in place and usable.)

Even if you keep doing what you're doing for now, keep this in mind for your next project. (And I'm betting there WILL be a next one...:)

Lillie

I'm almost done, and I'll do all the 22 the same way.

But if I ever do anything like this again I'll seriously consider your suggestions.

Thanks.

It's been a funny business.

For a few days there this thing was the whole world for me.
Of course it's not, it's pretty meaningless in the whole cosmic scheme of things, but for me back there it was massive.
I can sit back now and laugh at how flustered I let myself get!

Thank you to everyone who gave help and encouragement to me.
Especially Gregory and Flurp, her magic cat, without whom I would not have done anything, or would have been sat in a sad heap of tears with a load of half made decks.

mythos

Paint me stunned. Paint me stoopid for not spending enough time around here looking at people's work. Okay, so time has been something I haven't had much of in the last eight months but Beardsley :lightbulb: and so beautifully, magnificently done Lillie. :thumbsup: Paint me fan.:D

I so hope that you haven't sold them all yet ... I only noticed that today ... I have sent you a PM of the deepest grovelling.

Oh Lillie ... you must be so proud of yourself, and so pleased. Just lovely! And, I am such a fan of Beardsley and of Black and White decks. You are amazing.:love:

mythos:)

Lillie

Thank you.

I have PM'd you back. They are all gone, but I am seriously thinking of doing some more next month. not numbered or limited, or different boxes. Just an ordinary thing.
If enough people would want them.

Lewen

Lillie said:
Thank you.

I have PM'd you back. They are all gone, but I am seriously thinking of doing some more next month. not numbered or limited, or different boxes. Just an ordinary thing.
If enough people would want them.

I love Beardsleys works. I would consider getting them if you do a next 'go round. :)