Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

Pam O

Witch's Tarot...so 80's and the Court Cards all alike and the long skinny feet and legs on the High Priestess....
Witch's Tarot: It looks to me like the courts are all actually the same picture, all the knights, etc, just with different colors put on their cloths, hair, etc. I've kept this kit only because the book seems like it might be interesting...

right now, my only regret is not that the Spiral Tarot is not what I thought it would be. The borders alone are definitely the ugliest of any tarot deck - what were they thinking??
I just trimmed the Spiral, and it is so much better for me now. For some reason, this deck reads really well for me even though it is not among my favorites for art.

As I ponder the title of this thread, I realize I don't regret getting any of these decks. I experienced them and they just didn't work personally...
Some decks I just did not want to keep since they were never going to be used here:
-The Lord of the Rings Tarot Deck & Card Game: Wanted to like this, but no. Off to new home and now appreciated in ways I could not.
-Herbal Tarot: I so wanted to like this one, but it gave me a stomach ache every time I looked at it. Weird but true. This one left on a trade train at RS10 in NY.
-Cosmic tribe - returned to Amazon since there was a problem and happy to see them go!

Pam O

Oracle of Visions --> I love the images by Ciro Marchetti, but I got a bad copy of the cards (which apparently I'm not the only one)... The deck looked used when I opened it, there were indents and marks on the cards, some were bent, one didn't have gilded edges... It was a disappointment, since the artwork is just beautiful... and it was $70+ in total after shipping.
Did you let Ciro know? He is exceptional with customer service and taking care of any issues. I had a problem with one of his decks. I had 2 of a card and another card missing if I remember right. Anyway, Ciro fixed the problem immediately. Best wishes to you on this situation.

Stark Raven

The Sakura Clow Oracle deck. It so annoyed me that the Fiery was misspelled, and also the deck really has little to tell me. The way the female figures are represented so Lolita-like is absurd and insulting also...

Sandoz13

Like evelon, who made the thread "Decks You Wish You Hadn't Sold?", I decided to open this one and see what people have to say:D.

Tarot of the Mermaids. I mean, the artist is very talented (the boobs may be a little much) but I wish there was more going on with the artwork - more symbolism and interesting imagery that I could work with. I guess what I am trying to say is that for me, personally, the mermaids were pretty to look at but not a lot of substance or new info I could get out fo the cards.

Padma

angst about dragons

Got both Shapeshifter and Dragons, both of which I really wanted to love, but both sitting unused. :(

Shapeshifter (same creators) too detailed and complicated, and the images in Dragon left a lot to be said. i don't know - both leave me unfulfilled.

I love my Shakespeare Oracle Tarot, but can only use it occasionally, mostly as I find it is not very accurate! it is somehow - usually -wrong! Like some plot twist in the Bard's plays. He wants to fool you, so he can have the last witty word.

I also have Gilded Tarot by Ciro M, I ADORE the illustrations, it's GORGEOUS, but the deck leaves me feeling cold always, and does the same to my clients - everyone said the same thing = "they leave me feeling cold" - so they stay upstairs in the studio with the unloved Dragons and Shapeshifters. Too bad, cause I LOVE Ciro's art! :) Beautiful, beautiful deck, no fire :(

Marseilles = never mind. No point. I believe the word is "obsolete". Feels like it is. This deck is on an "eight track" highway - no one goes there anymore.

Morwenna

Same here with the Witches' and the Herbal.

Witches': I even saw the book when I bought the deck, and looked into it, and thought the deck might work for me. But it didn't; I eventually was turned off by the same art on the courts and by the one very solid ace as against three ethereal ones. And the changed order of the courts didn't play for me either. The supposed big draw, the Kabbalistic globes on the Majors, I never got into, even though I was and still am fascinated by Kabbalah. So this deck just sits, and I think the only reason I still have it is that I do like some of the artwork. But if it were gone I'd never miss it. And I never did buy the book, and at this remove I'm glad.

I bought the Herbal when I wanted to learn a lot more about herbs and see how it would go with Tarot; but I never really gave it a chance. I think I owe it to myself to hang onto this in hopes that I will learn something from the juxtaposition; but, frankly, the fact that the courts don't appear to be a coherent "family" in each suit put me off.

Dusk Till Dawn

One is the sacred Geoemtry Oracle, I mean, what was I thinking? I have no clue what to do with that?
And thank Goodness, the William Blake Revised edition is finally on it's way to the new owner.
I got it, and this is the only Deck from all the Decks I ever had, that immediately creeped me out. I had to look at it again today, and YUK> And I have no clue why that is.

Padma

One is the sacred Geoemtry Oracle, I mean, what was I thinking? I have no clue what to do with that?
And thank Goodness, the William Blake Revised edition is finally on it's way to the new owner.
I got it, and this is the only Deck from all the Decks I ever had, that immediately creeped me out. I had to look at it again today, and YUK> And I have no clue why that is.

I can relate - I couldn't get into it either - I really wanted to, 'cause I love some of his poems, but his art...meh! He should have stuck to writing, IMO lol! But then I like the Connolly, soooooo.... ;p no accounting for tastes, I guess! lol

wildirish

My very first tarot deck is the one I wish I had never bought:
http://oi41.tinypic.com/rt026o.jpg
How a deck can be boring and creepy at the same time is beyond me, LOL.

I would personally like the Sakura Clow tarot deck, simply because I liked that series, and would enjoy the artwork for its own sake. :)

Winterchild

Decks I regret... and a question...

Ji

I am brand new here and hope I am not making mistakes already, I saw a question early in this thread which mentioned a special *Introduction to a new Tarot deck reading....* does anyone know where I can fins this, as it sounds a mighty fine idea to me!

I believe we have different needs at different times with everything in life and tarot is no different, I have gotten rid of and rebought several decks and had mad splurges getting swayed by a couple of gorgeous online images.

This is an amazing resource ..thanks, I laughed a lot too! Worst decks for me:

Tarot of the Crows (Now happily rehomed)

Biggest disappointment:

Ann Stokes Gothic Tarot
Mystic Dreamer Tarot

But I have only recently acquired these and not done a reading yet....

I love the Herbal.... it resonated immediately, especially The Tower card.