Playing Cards I want to read!

cardlady22

:party: I just got shipping notification on these 2 decks:

Bicycle Dirty Faded Vintage Teal Brown

Anne Stokes

Belated Valentine's gift to myself. :heart:

Le Fanu

I'm quite simple in my tastes. My favourite playing cards are these and these. I have loved these ones for ages and I never find any others that rival them for beauty and atmosphere and shuffleability.

I could start a thread on those last ones, the "Russian Pattern". There have been so many different editions and I love them all. I have a first edition (1928, State Company from St Petersburg), and editions by Piatnik and Fournier.

MrAndrewJ

Oh man.. the Shadow Masters, Black Ghosts and White Ghosts are things I normally see used by a bunch of kids who want to be the next Criss Angel.

They are, however, beautiful cards. They are also made to impress, so that they look good in the hands of the kids mentioned above. I particularly enjoy the Ghost varieties.

They cost a little bit, but are physically manufactured to impress people who can be absolute snobs about their cards.

brightcrazystar

I also got Scott Grossber's deck of shadows.

I like it, it is not a pip deck, but it is handy for sure and totally beautiful and dark without being morose. It does have the number and suit on it.

Morwenna

Hallmark playing cards. Yes, they do exist, but it's very hard to find pix online except for backs. My mother had a deck some years ago that one of her friends had given her, and I loved it so much she let me have it. I was using it to learn my rune-mentor friend's Northern method of card reading. Then one day we were using them to actually play cards when we were stuck at a motel overnight in a storm, and I later discovered that one of the court cards was missing. Drat! And every Hallmark store I tried, the clerks looked at me as if I had three heads.

Then, maybe two decades later, I was perusing one of the numerous neighborhood tag sales, came across a pair of co-ordinated decks for a DIME!, and saw that they were the long-sought Hallmark decks!!! BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE!!!

What's so different about them? At first glance, hardly anything. But there are the aces. Not only is the ace of spades large and ornamented, so are they all! And they look to have been drawn freehand, not machine-perfect. Look a little more closely at the courts, and you'll see that even though they seem to be the same as all the usual suspects, they actually have some variations, which to me are attractive. Then there are the jokers: two of them, and different, not just in color but in design and pose.

I love those decks. :heart:

Rose Lalonde

Deck based on alchemy

Reviving an old thread to say there's an alchemical deck on Kickstarter called Heretic that I'd backed. Now it's down to 24 hours left (but I'm sure it'll be available later; it'll just be a bit more expensive.)

They have female knights and the symbols for salt, sulfur and mercury. But my favorite thing is the non-standard layout of the pips against their background symbols. It's rare that the pip cards are my favorite part of a deck. (You have to scroll 3/4 down to see them.)

kalliope

Reviving an old thread to say there's an alchemical deck on Kickstarter called Heretic that I'd backed. Now it's down to 24 hours left (but I'm sure it'll be available later; it'll just be a bit more expensive.)

They have female knights and the symbols for salt, sulfur and mercury. But my favorite thing is the non-standard layout of the pips against their background symbols. It's rare that the pip cards are my favorite part of a deck. (You have to scroll 3/4 down to see them.)

This is late to say so, but thanks for the heads up on the Heretic deck. I was able to back it before the deadline!

Rose Lalonde

Oh, good! Because I think I was wrong when I said they'd be for sale afterward. Hope we both like them as much as I'm expecting to!

Morwenna

It took me over 4 years to get off my duff, but I finally got the Shadow Masters! I also got the Starlight, the Sleepers, the Luxx Blue, and the 2-deck Pippoglyph set... :D