let's talk about (Golden Dawn) decks

SolSionnach

Tarot of the Spirit. I really really tried to read with that one, to no avail.
Cosmic! Actually, a Thoth-inspired clone.

rachelcat

rif said:
I'm glad you took time away from your IDS to stop by. Do you feel better now, after thinking of the Thoth as a GD deck? :)

Yes, absolutely! (And I've been browsing the brick in between studying Thoth swords!)

But what I was trying to say was that Cosmic Tribe copies the Thoth rather than following or knowing anything about GD tradition. (Thus, probably the Death faux pas.) So it IS GD, but only because it's Thothy.

Yes, the nudity in the Cosmic Tribe, while very graphic, is realistic (well, it IS photographic . . . ) whereas the nudity in Initiatory is unrealistic and, uh, perky. (Hey, you said it, I didn't!)

And sravana, I could do NOTHING with T of the Spirit. Had to trade it away. I've never gotten a Cosmic because I think it just looks so 80s. But now that I know it's GD for sure, I might give it a try!

I was all excited to get the Hermetic when the new edition came out, but it's very busy, and the art is very idiosyncratic. As is the art of the Magickal. They're good for study, I keep telling myself!

So going off to study now!

Le Fanu

Thoth. In all its different shape and sizes; deluxe, pocket, white box, purple box, blue box, greenie... whatever....Really enjoying just wallowing in it´s beauty and erudition...

Can´t quite "get" the Liber T. Those lines are all a bit too fluid and wavy for me... I can´t seem to focus on the images...

I have the Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn which is good for a laugh.

I love the Cosmic Tribe, and so do all my friends who always want readings with it.

I have Antony Clarke´s Magickal which I get out occasionally (like tonight) to look at the artwork and read all that trippy calligraphy.

I have the Hermetic, but haven´t connected with it yet. Maybe one day I´ll get an urge to read with it.

I´m sure there are others... Does the Robert Wang/Regardie Golden Dawn one count? That one with all the white on it? I took that out this evening to have a look at too. But the artwork is a bit wooden.

ETA; almost forgot... Light and Shadow tarot; fantastic!

manda78

LOL I hadn't ever actually looked at the star card in the Initiatory...that's too much! :D

rif

Le Fanu said:
Thoth. In all its different shape and sizes; deluxe, pocket, white box, purple box, blue box, greenie... whatever....Really enjoying just wallowing in it´s beauty and erudition...
I'll agree with you there. I had sold off my newer USG standard (non-greenie), and ended up buying the AGM blue box. I know the printings are supposed to be the same nowadays, but I swear the AGM deck is brighter. It may just be me. Although I appreciate the detail in the majors, I really like the way the minors were done. It's interesting to compare them to the GD Book T descriptions and pics, which seem to provide the framework for the in-depth artwork of the Thoth.
I have the Initiatory Tarot of the Golden Dawn which is good for a laugh.
It's not all THAT bad. It's not what one might want as a serious GD study deck; but it's still offers a nice, dynamic take on the GD tarot. Who knows, it may be a sneaky way to introduce someone to the whole genre, if they start with this deck and want to learn more about where it came from! And I do like the back design on the deck.
I have Antony Clarke´s Magickal which I get out occasionally (like tonight) to look at the artwork and read all that trippy calligraphy.
I'm beginning to feel left out of the Magickal club now!
I have the Hermetic, but haven´t connected with it yet. Maybe one day I´ll get an urge to read with it.
I've only seen the deck online. I like the artwork, but it does look too busy to read. Especially without color. Is it meant to be colored by the user?
I´m sure there are others... Does the Robert Wang/Regardie Golden Dawn one count? That one with all the white on it? I took that out this evening to have a look at too. But the artwork is a bit wooden.
So I've heard. That's the main reason I haven't obtained that deck. I wonder if I should just get it, and decide for myself....
ETA; almost forgot... Light and Shadow tarot; fantastic!
Didn't know that deck, so I looked it up. Interesting, but not for me. :)