Enochian in Tarot

Grigori

archer1 said:
It is nothing like a regular deck the cards have 2 sides Eastern and Western Magical traditions....As for me it is rather confusing.....

Archer asked if there were any good ways to start working with this deck in readings. I've not even considered attempting that, as it didn't appeal to me as a reaading deck, and I think it would be a deck I would find difficult to read with. There are no real images in the cards as with other decks, you have one side with alchemical elemental triangles, and the other with names and attributes from the Enochian Watchtowers. Have you tried any readings with it Archer? I'd be really interested to hear feedback from anyone who has. Its much more sparse than a usual deck, and more heavily reliant on the various attributions.

It seemed strange to me that in the book they recommend using the deck for divination as a way to learn the attributes. Apart from rote learning some canned LWB style meanings, I don't know how you could read it in depth without a good working knowledge of the Elements, I Ching, Enochian, Astrology. A huge amount of study.

I've been using the deck a little and studying a lot, but focused on scrying, rather than using it for readings. My thought was that was a better way (for me) to try and understand it. I guess I would suggest the same to others. Start by focussing on the Element Triangle side and forget the Enochian for a little bit. If you focus on a few of the cards in particular, it might be easier to relate to knowledge from orthodox GD tarots. Kind of like reading with just the majors, before staring on the minors.

The GD Skrying has a card for the pure element of each suit (like the aces in tarot) and cards for the combinations; Fire of Air, Water of Earth etc. (which is sort of like the Court Cards in a regular deck). 20 is a more manageable number to begin with I thinnk. Then when you feel more comfortable with them you could add in the rest of the cards, Air of Fire of Water, Water of Earth of Earth etc.. The Keywords/Titles will obviously help too, and so would some knowledge of the IChing which has been used to derive a lot of the meanings in the bulk of the cards.

Fudu posted this thread recently that might be of use also. Ways to familiarize yourself with the elements. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=108076

Maybe also working on using the cards in scyring might be of benefit. Archer mentioned they have some of Regardie's books. I forgot which ones have sections on using the tattwas for scrying, but some do. I know "The Golden Dawn" does, and assume "Scrying on the Tree of Life" did. I think it was connected to eastern tattwas, but the process would be the same for the western ones in this deck. There is also a section on that in the Cicero's book that comes with the deck.

Personally I don't see how I could read with the deck otherwise, especially the Enochian side, which seems to me it would need a fair bit of experience with Enochian scrying before it would be usable in readings. Though apparently the Cicero's suggest the opposite of that.

Grigori

I recently saw online a picture of someone's Watchtowers, that were quite striking. They were fully colored and marked with the GD Enochian system and correspondences. They printed the images from a pdf copy of Crowley's The Equinox and mounted them on board. Seems like a great and easy way to have a visual set to study from so I thought I would share the idea in case any one else wanted to try it.

Aeon recently discovered a link to where editions of the Equinox can be downloaded in PDF format, the edition in question is
http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/equinox-Ivii.pdf
(pages 258 - 262 of the pdf, not the pages as marked in the text, have the colored watchtower images). I've attached the pages in question to this post, but they are lower quality version I created so would recommend checking out the full version at the link above.

All the others editions of the Equinox can be found also for interested folks
http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/

Attachments

• watchtowers.pdf
    148.1 KB · Views: 162

ravenest

Cool ... I nearly fell through the computer screne staring at that. The symbols on the colors are a little larger than my copies. mine seems more a color vibration, but I like what that one does too.

I've always wanted to do a 3-d one , apparently you can by little rackc of truncated pyramids made from styrafoam ... somewhere - to paint and make a 3-d one.

Grigori

ravenest said:
Cool ... I nearly fell through the computer screne staring at that. The symbols on the colors are a little larger than my copies. mine seems more a color vibration, but I like what that one does too.

I think the image was recolored when made into a pdf, but still nice to look at and inspiration to make your own I guess.

ravenest said:
I've always wanted to do a 3-d one , apparently you can by little rackc of truncated pyramids made from styrafoam ... somewhere - to paint and make a 3-d one.

That would be a good way I think, and an interesting finished product. If you ever make it, please post pics!

Professor X

Grigori said:
Lovely :) Would love to hear how useful you find the second book you got.

I purchased a copy of the Golden Dawn Enochian Scrying Tarot from the trading forum here today, so am looking forward to seeing what that has to offer in way of further understanding how Enochian material can work in an oracle/tarot.

Also it may be of use, a little while back when working through the Duquette book, I used Publisher to make a set of Enochian tablets. Have since printed them and put into certificate frames to make a usable set. It's the same version of the tablets as in the Duquette book, the final version I believe (there were a couple of "editions" dictated by the Angels).

Anyways, I like color and find it helps to study something, so it might be useful for others. Though rather a fun job to make your own, and not so tricky as the painted versions, or the set Ravenest has posted about making.

I am reading my Golden Book right now about Enochian Magic. Are these tablets posted here compatible with what is in the Golden Dawn book? From the looks of them they look to be just like the ones I have been looking at.

Grigori

Professor X said:
I am reading my Golden Book right now about Enochian Magic. Are these tablets posted here compatible with what is in the Golden Dawn book? From the looks of them they look to be just like the ones I have been looking at.

Yes, these are the GD ones. The ones I made are a simplified version, the ones in the journal are the full version.

I'm not sure if this link will work if you're not on facebook, but here also are some 3D versions from Lon Duquette.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4961446&id=536578997
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4961442&id=536578997

brightcrazystar

A point of note and correction:

The Golden Dawn is the Outer Order Golden Dawn of the Order known to the Outer as Chabrath Zerach Aur Boquer. They did not use the color Tablets at all. The Inner Order of R.R. et A.C. was where color theory was applied to the Outer Order Material. A color theory that was entirely developed and applied by one or both of the Mathers household.

Most of the Golden Dawn work is monochrome in a Black in White Temple dimply lit by red lamps. It was when one approached the Vault of the Adepti, and was put inside, the explosion of color took one completely off guard when put in the room with all the flashing colors of the Inner walls of the vault. The effect on the Initiate of being in a black and white room with red lights was tremendous, but it is for some other reason. In the Tabernacle of Mosheh, the windows and roof were covered with Badger Hide and ram's hide died red beneath that, which when dried becomes both red and translucent. It mirrored the light within the Tabernacle. Also, for any who have lived in Red light conditions, such as "darken ships" in the Navy, you know the effects of the return of a full spectrum of light all of a sudden. Consider also the Initiates were wearing red shoes, which in turn bleed into to the red of the light, causing a sensation similar to watching the officers not touch the ground as they moved.

In later orders claiming to be Golden Dawn they started pushing colors on the whole Outer Order and work in full light after the Mystic Circumambulation has been accomplished. Not understanding the outer order recension of color, and having little appreciation for the need for the monochrome basis for it all in the Outer so the Adepts can all have the neutral backboard for the colors they project on it. This is why the Chiefs are not seen in the outer court, and have their own entrance to the temple, so they are not seen in full light, which for the Outer Order is concealed beyond the veil behind the Banner of the East.

It is primarily to assist the Hierophant to hold together all the invisible components of the Temple. In the Temple, from Neophyte up, all Watchtowers were up in their quadrants and veiled with curtains. These were opened accordingly in the work of the Grades of Philosophus / Portal and Below. Color tablets were meant to be prepared for the Zelator Adeptus Minor by his own hand, as a means to understand the Concourse of Forces. Presumably they would employed in the Adeptus Major Ritual of 6, degree equals 5 square, but there is no cause to think any temple had a full set of color tablets, as the Kerux would have access to them, even though he was likely only a Theoricus.

The colors do not make them more powerful, they are cheat sheets to the R.R. et AC applications of these tablets, which is only hinted at in the works of the Golden Dawn.

In John Dee's own records the angels tell him distinctly, "We are irrespective of color."; when he asks what color should the wax for the Sigillum Dei Aemeth be.

Grigori

Thanks for sharing that brightcrazystar. I've wondered about the choice of red color for the shoes and also lights on the pillars. Having never seen any presentation that focussed on a monochrome set up, so I was thinking about how strange that choice seemed to me out of a rainbow of options, but thinking of a room full of colors I didn't make any specific connection between the two.

brightcrazystar

Color was a fiercely guarded secret of the Second Order. Very little ever made it into the floor of the First Order, and was "mostly symbolic" on the dia by the Chiefs.

As for enochian, I favor the following:

Red - Air
Green - Water
White - Fire
Black - Earth

These are the colors most commonly associated with alchemy. Any reference to yellow or blue is a trait of the verdant nature of water, which though passive contains a semblance and response to both air and fire.