More cards that stand out

Lighthouse

Hi again,
I've been going over my deck again and have come to notice something else intresting. The 36 numbered cards have a planetary and a zodiac value. 30 of the cards show their values on a vertival line that decends straight down the middle of the card. 6 cards don't follow this format at all. Love ( 2 cups ) and Swiftness ( 8 wands ) have their values on a horizontal line. Valour ( 7 wands ) and Happiness ( 9 cups ) have their values on a line slopes down from left to right. Strenght ( 8 wands ) and Satiety ( 10 cups ) are missing a value ! Strength is missing its plaetary value ( the Moon ), and Satiety is missing its zodiac value ( Pisces ). Or if there there, I have yet to find them.

Again I have to ask if developing a format for labeling the cards, then have 6 break rank,was intentionally done. I thought it was intretesting that the 6 cards were actually 3 sets of 2 cards.

Thanks for you help

Grigori

Strength and Satiety do have their astrology concordances on them.

Strength shows an arrow travelling from the sun at the top to a moon at the bottom (i.e. along the path of Art/Sagittarius from Tiphareth to Yesod. Also the "arrows" are tipped in moon crescents. Of course you are right that this is not the same as what is done in the other cards though.

Satiety has the pisces sympol on the cup at the bottom middle of the card. It is damn hard to see though without squinting :D (like this LOL )

I must get out my deck and look over the others. I suspect the arrangement of the glyphs would be simply to fit into the design best, but its a very interesting thing to think about. :)

Lillie

I too will need to have a proper look. But my guess would be the same. Probably how they fitted the design best.
Or for a bit of variety.

Has anyone checked that they are all correct and done acccording to whatever system they were done by? (ie. no picese where an aires should be, etc.)

I know if I had to put all them symbols on all them cards I would make a right mess of it.
I'd get them all over the place!

Grigori

What if the cards are covered in Crowley typos! :eek: (or feints ;) ) LOL

I spent a good long time making patterns on the largest space of free floor at my place checking out the pattern once. I was satisfied they are all OK. Was I wrong...? (paranoia sets in... and hunger.... )

The order is pretty simple once you figure it out in your head. The hard part was remembering it when I wanted to later on :laugh:

The 2, 3 and 4's are attributed to the Cardinal signs of that element (same as 2/3 of the Queens).

The 5, 6 and 7's are attributed to the Fixed signs of that element (same as 2/3 of the Princes).

The 8, 9 and 10's are attributed to the Mutable signs of the element (same as 2/3 of the Knights).

This is the order the quadruplicities follow thoughout the year also. Cardinal first, then Fixed and then Mutable (both from same element to same element e.g. Aries to Leo to Sagittarius, as well as between different elements, e.g. Aries to Taurus to Gemini etc.)

If you lay the minors out in the order of the astrological year (e.g. Aries: 2-4 Wands, then Taurus: 5-6 Disks, then Gemini: 8-10 Swords etc) you can then work out the planets.

The planets start with Mars in Aries (2 Wands, i.e. Spring, the beginning of the year) and then progress throughout the deck in the order of the 7 classical planets as they appear on the tree of life.

Saturn (Binah), Jupiter (Chockmah), Mars (Geburah), Sun (Tipareth), Venus (Netzach), Mercury (Hod), Moon (Yesod).

Then you can get really confused by thinking of each card as having two planets, the one from the tree of life directly (e.g. all 5's are Geburah and so belong to Mars) and the other from the above system. So then the 5 of disks belongs to Mercury as indicated on the card, but also to Mars/Geburah because it is a 5. The 5 of cups is then EXTRA Mars-y because it belongs to Mars/Geburah being a 5, as well as bearing the glyph for mars from the repeating 7 planet pattern.

Now I have to go spread my deck out again and check that it is all OK. I will not get the house cleaning done I was asked to, so when asked why not, I shall have to blame Lillie :D This is why I have never worried about where the sign actually appears on the card. I'm still mired in what the sign should be! :laugh:

Grigori

I am again happy in the knowledge that the planet and sign glyphs are all correct on the cards! (thats a relief :D )

I had a look over the placement of the glyphs while I was there, trying to find any connections such as suggested by Lighthouse's observations. It seems to me they are placed with a preference for the vertical line in the centre, except in cases when they do not easily fit in that place.

The horizontal placement on the 2 Cups and 8 wands seems to serve to allow the lotus and rainbow to dominated the top of the card and for the entire image to be larger. There is ample room for the cancer glyph at the bottom of the 2 Cups, but it would seem strange to me from a visual persepective to have on glyph on the centre line and the other of to the side somewhere.

Similiarly in the 9 of cups it looks to me like the glyphs are displaced a little in order to better fit on the card, and perhaps emphasise the rectangular nature of the cups placement by making the cups virtually touch the borders of the card.

The 7 of Wands seems the most unusual to me. Without modifying the design in any way it would be very easy to move the two glyphs to the centre vertical line. Also the leo glyph seems to be leaning on an odd angle in the direction of the mars gylph above. It doesn't seem to be as easily dismissed as a practical consideration as the other cards were. They don't really reflect the angle of any of the wands in the card either... Hmmm... *shrugs*

Lillie

Thank you Similia.

I am glad that Crowley/Harris managed to get them all onto the right cards!
I know I wouldn't have.

It would have been like pick and mix day with a bag full of glyphs.

By all means, blame me for the house not being cleaned.
I don't mind.
In fact it would be nice to have a 'mad, bad and dangerous to know' sort of reputation!

'Watch out for that Lillie! She'll make your house mucky, she will! She'll stop you cleaning and let you do interesting things!'

Oh, what will the world come too, if we all stop scrubbing the grout in the bathroom!

Well. So long as all the right glyphs are on the right cards then I guess that's the most important thing.

I can't think of anything in particular that sets the 'odd' ones apart from the 'normal' vertical ones.
But if any mad ideas float into my mind I will let you all know!

Lighthouse

Thank you Similia,
You weren't kidding about having to squint, I didn't think I was going to have to examine the cards THAT closely.