When a court card shows up as *you* in the reading

I was just wondering if anyone has input about when you see yourself pop up in a reading. I most commonly show up as the Queen of Pentacles, my zodiac sign. It kind of annoys me because I'm thinking, "Yes, I know I'm a part of this situation, but my influence has already run it's course." I'm not sure if the cards are trying to more prominently point out how a situation will affect me, or if showing me in a reading is just a 'filler card' for a specific position.

The most recent example I can think of is if I'm asking when/if I will hear from someone. My court card will pop up, even though I have no intention of initiating contact. Perhaps that means they will come to me? Or we will only communicate if I do something about it?

I'd love to hear other's experiences.

obeygravity

If your significators shows up in a reading continually then it's to remind you of the role you have in shaping the current circumstances. Perhaps if you see it in regards to someone reaching out to you, it telling you that it's up to you. Are you genuinely open to communicating with this person? Do you actually WANT to hear from them? Maybe take time to reflect on how your attitude and energies in the situation could be preventing blocks or how you could be acting as your own worst enemy to keep the progress you're looking for from happening.

Personally, when I see either of my significators show up in readings, it can sometimes be telling me to literally kind my business - worry about myself and my own affairs because no question I ask will change the circumstances and if I want something to happen, then j should do something about it.

Personally, when I see either of my significators show up in readings, it can sometimes be telling me to literally kind my business - worry about myself and my own affairs because no question I ask will change the circumstances and if I want something to happen, then j should do something about it.

This could be possible. It's just funny because the card sometimes shows up in a series of events that will happen, or part of an answer, such as a three card reading. In the most recent example I'm thinking of, I realize I could reach out to that person to receive communication, but it wouldn't lead to any sort of improvement if initiated on my end. I have already made attitude, intentions, etc., clear, so there is no need to reassess, since the situation involves another person's attitude, intentions, etc. I suppose I would expect to see that person's court card show up instead of my own, if anything else is to happen in the near future.

Grizabella

The court cards don't always mean the same thing. Sometimes they don't even mean people at all and just refer to a mood or an action to take or something like that. If you find it hard to figure it out as the answer to one of your questions, try putting an actual person out of mind and just interpret the card as an influence or mindset rather than an actual person. :)

Barleywine

When I read for and about myself, I usually see the court cards first as characteristics, attitudes or behaviors I should either adopt or avoid in the situation, secondly as impersonal energies or forces that I may encounter in the matter, and last as other people I might come in contact with. Because of my quiet rural life, I don't see many people on a daily or even weekly basis, so that factor really only fits in longer-range forecasts where some kind of interaction is anticipated. (Unless, of course, when the Queen of Swords comes up - it's always my wife!)

When I read for others, however, I start with courts as people because most sitters can relate to the social angle more readily than to the psychological or archetypal circumstances. So other people first, then personal qualities and finally impersonal forces. I always half-joke that they're just looking for someone else to blame for their troubles.

The court cards don't always mean the same thing. Sometimes they don't even mean people at all and just refer to a mood or an action to take or something like that. If you find it hard to figure it out as the answer to one of your questions, try putting an actual person out of mind and just interpret the card as an influence or mindset rather than an actual person. :)

So from that angle, I would look at the Q of P as down-to-earth and nurturing. How would you interpret it?

I usually see this card to represent myself initially, and then sometimes other court cards for aspects of my personality, but I will try this, too!

When I read for and about myself, I usually see the court cards first as characteristics, attitudes or behaviors I should either adopt or avoid in the situation, secondly as impersonal energies or forces that I may encounter in the matter, and last as other people I might come in contact with. Because of my quiet rural life, I don't see many people on a daily or even weekly basis, so that factor really only fits in longer-range forecasts where some kind of interaction is anticipated. (Unless, of course, when the Queen of Swords comes up - it's always my wife!)

When I read for others, however, I start with courts as people because most sitters can relate to the social angle more readily than to the psychological or archetypal circumstances. So other people first, then personal qualities and finally impersonal forces. I always half-joke that they're just looking for someone else to blame for their troubles.

These are all good points. How do you decide if you should avoid or adopt the behaviors represented by the court card? Is it really a case-by-case basis?

I've had the Queen of Swords come up for my boss before :D

Barleywine

These are all good points. How do you decide if you should avoid or adopt the behaviors represented by the court card? Is it really a case-by-case basis?

I have a few cues: I use reversals, so that's something to factor in. I also use Elemental Dignities, which either strengthen or weaken the inherent nature ("purity of expression") of the card in question. (A weakened stance might be one to avoid.) Finally, I look at how antithetical the card is to my normal mode of behavior: it might indicate rashness where I'm usually quite methodical. It might not be a bad thing in the long run, but it's a cautionary note to pay attention to. As always, context is a big part of the answer.

Grizabella

So from that angle, I would look at the Q of P as down-to-earth and nurturing. How would you interpret it?

I usually see this card to represent myself initially, and then sometimes other court cards for aspects of my personality, but I will try this, too!

Yes, as Barleywine says, context is everything. The question and surrounding cards will influence what any card means in a particular case. I've even seen others refer to the Queen of Pentacles as "the other woman" in a love triangle.

Nurturing and down to earth is a good thought. As always, it depends on the question, positional meanings if any, and surrounding cards. Don't list any of those here, though. If you have a specific reading in mind that you need help with, put it in Your Readings sub-forum. :)

nisaba

I was just wondering if anyone has input about when you see yourself pop up in a reading. I most commonly show up as the Queen of Pentacles, my zodiac sign.

Why would a card waste itself describing me to me?

Let's assume that I'm you, and I identify with the Queen Pentacles (not unlikely, arguably a quarter of the world's women do).

If the Queen Pentacles were then to pop up in a reading of mine, I wouldn't say: Oh, that's me, I'm in the situation.

I'd say: okay, I need to access those qualities that the Queen Pentacles has, and put them into action in this situation. I need to be practical, grounded, nurturing, realistic rather than dreamy.