The Book of Thoth

Lillie

:)

Thanks!

I won't delete them then!

Some night's I get so tired I don't know what I'm rambling about.

I also (by the way) think that the essays by Harris in (some) LWB's are very interesting.
It's nice to see what she thought.

Ukkonen

Lillie, you got me interested. Could you tell me in which edition(s) there is Harris on LWB:s, please? I have one copy of Thoth deck, the large one by AGMûller/USG from around 1985 I think. It has the LWB but no Harris on it :-(
-thanx, tero

Kissa

Moro Tero,

i can make you a copy of my lwb and send it to you, we both are in finland.

kissa

Lillie

I know that they are in the LWB that comes with the 'Greenie' by USG.
Which is now OOP.

I don't know if it comes with any of the others.

She dosn't write much, but it is interesting to see what she says.

thinbuddha

In the newer US Games editons, the LWB's have the essays by Harris. At least in the large and standard sizes.

Lillie

Cool. I'm glad they are still using them.

And on another thread, Queen of Pentacles provided a link to a site which has some correspondance between Crowley and Harris, during the creation of this deck.

It's very interesting.

It is here. (I reproduce it because I am not sure which thread the original link is in. But it is not me that found it, it was Queen of Penacles)

http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/crowley-harris.html

Crowley seems most concerned about his profit margin.
And at times she seems most concerned not to lend him money, even though it appears he keeps asking!

archer1

I really hate to be negative but here goes....I recently purchased the book of Thoth to better understand what the cards of the Thoth deck mean in relation to each other..."I am now more confused than before" HELP please?

thinbuddha

archer1 said:
I really hate to be negative but here goes....I recently purchased the book of Thoth to better understand what the cards of the Thoth deck mean in relation to each other..."I am now more confused than before" HELP please?

The problem with jumping into the book of thoth is that crowley assumes that you know quite a bit about qaballa and astrology. I again suggest picking up "Understanding Crowley's Thoth Tarot" because it takes you by the hand and explains, in a general way, the philosophies that the thoth tarot was based on. If you're not getting Crowley, you are not alone. You will get more out of his writing once you learn some background first.

Aeon418

thinbuddha is right. Crowley expects his readers to be up to speed in quite a few areas of esoteric thought. Even so you can still gain quite a lot by just diving straight into the card descriptions.