Colors in the RWS and Golden Dawn tarots (split from the Guidelines thread)

Lillie

OK.

This colour stuff, the four colour scales and all that.

Where did it come from?

Who decided that them were the colours?

Lillie

OK.

It's a system.
I like that.

And they nicked the names from Winsor & Newton paints.
That amuses me.

That thing had the 4 scales king queen Emperor Empress.
Same difference as prince princess etc, I suppose?

And do the 4 scales = the four worlds. yetzirah, wotsit, wotsit and thing. (can't remember the names, but you know what I mean) or is it something different?

Scion

The four scales correspond to the four worlds, so by using the attributions of more than one scale the path or sephirah of each card is (theoretically) visible in each world because it icombines the 4 scales.

I think that's right. :)

Grigori

omg lelandra rocks! Thanks for the links

Scion said:
The four scales correspond to the four worlds, so by using the attributions of more than one scale the path or sephirah of each card is (theoretically) visible in each world because it icombines the 4 scales.

I think that's right. :)

I'm unclear of the point your getting at here Scion. Is it considered ideal to use each of the colors on the respective cards to "cross" or represent the 4 worlds?

It reminds me of the Tree of Life diagram that typically has the colors from the Queen scale for the Sephirot and the King scale for the paths. For balance presumably. Is that applied to the individual cards also?

re-pete-a

Pretty Lights

Well, what is there to say,soooooooooooooo much to digest,thanks troops for the directions,and MILFOIL....the other name for the mirror is the "unspotted mirror" the "mirror of perfection" (hermetics)...thanks for holding it up to reflect.Lots gained,thanks.......Time is needed to digest this lot. Scion a warm thanks to your knowledge,and directions...........the post originally had everything to do with the use of colour,nothing to do with any of the systems uses,,,,,,,,,the quest was for understanding colours relationship to USE while reading the CARDS....THINGS jump out at the reader during the sessions,clarity was needed to give a better result/understanding......only what's necessary tends to show itself AT THE TIME,......gotta admit, was surely a colourful journey!!!THANKS TO ALL.....posting under the GD,Al C, SYSTEMS was not intentional,FATE threw a curve ball on this one!!!
________
Marijuana Strains

ravenest

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lillie said:
OK.

It's a system.
I like that.

And they nicked the names from Winsor & Newton paints.
That amuses me.

That thing had the 4 scales king queen Emperor Empress.
Same difference as prince princess etc, I suppose?

And do the 4 scales = the four worlds. yetzirah, wotsit, wotsit and thing. (can't remember the names, but you know what I mean) or is it something different?

Now that we are back on track ...

I believe these four worlds can also be represented by color itself.
Red- King, Blue - Queen, Yellow - Prince, and princess - Green.

I have a bit more to post on this but .... I'ts time for my appointment to go get my head shaved - more later.

(ED. add more)

(Ahhhh - cool head!)

I have been trying to find a previous post here by me but .... :( It deals with color and the 4 scales, I'll have to write it up at home from notes.

basically it is about a guy (Pavey?) who had a radical color theory, he devided colors up into 4 catagories. those that shout, command, speak and whisper. I deffinatly relate this to the above 4 scales, but I'll have to hunt the research up.

ravenest

Scion said:
Definitely! That's a solid basic depiction of the GD sephiroth colors, Milfoil...

Then there are the more complicated color scales from 777. There's a great page at great page at Michele Jackson's site that SHOWS the scales:
http://www.lelandra.com/tarotbook/TreeofLifeColors.htm

And then she even has one page comparing the use of the color scales between different GD based decks: http://www.lelandra.com/comptarot/tarotthothclone.htm

Cool! Thanks for that. They turned out so much better than the ones I painted :laugh: especially the ones with 'rayed' colors, I like the way they did that. I used them when painting my Enochian tablets, tiny segments of one side of a pyramid painted in the 'princess' scale ... a meditation in patience!

ravenest

Scion said:
Bill Heidrick has a very concise explanation of it here, Lillie: http://www.billheidrick.com/tlc1995/tlc1295.htm#iq

Also have a look at the appendix in 777, in the color section, AC gives some great explanations, due to emotive, qabbalistic and historic reasons. Now these may be outside of our scope (as Scion pointed out earlier) yet, in the past these were SOME of the sources from which this knowledge was collated.. For example, when I do my hermetic color workshop, just about everyone gets the influence of RED, it relates to a type of fight or flight reflex and can trigger the release of adrenaline. Yet purple is considered spiritual or regal, most probably becasue of its early difficulty to obtain and its high cost.

{Another example of this process is the attribution of the elements to direction: Some change it to local environment others do not, they use the 'traditional qabbalistic' directions as they believe this relates to some other world, or plane, and the local elements are not to be used - on that plane- yet those 'qabbalistic' elemental directions seem to fit perfectly in an environment that is on the east coast of the Mediteranian Sea ;) }

Lillie

I haven't got 777.

Never have had.

Do you really get your head shaved by appointment?
What's wrong with getting some clippers and doing it yourself?