Dark Carnival Deck

Winterchild

Link

I found this:

http://www.facebook.com/darkcarnivaltarot/photos

Lots of clear pics. Wow...Gats and Duckets..... Hmmmm I am not sure... I am not a lover of clowns, but I do have empathy with the clown, like the fool.

More thought needed, be great to hear reviews when one of you gets a copy!!

rachelpaul

That's gorgeous! I wish there were better pictures of the actual cards, though, and not just the bag.

Me like, she needs to send to the great white, too. :heart:

I like the style of the artwork. I remember when I thought the Deviant Moon was scary, :p but then I bought it and loved it. :D

This almost has a comic book feel to it (from what I can see).

I agree, more pix of the individual cards would be nice to see. Perhaps the artist has a Facebook page or a blog.

Thank you all for your interest and kind words. I am actually the author and illustrator of this deck (and am new to this forum to boot!) I added more pictures to the etsy account and you can find plenty of photos on our facebook (facebook.com/darkcarnivaltarot), which we update daily.

I'm happy to ship anywhere, so please let me know if you are interested and I will calculate shipping and add your location to our list. Thanks again!

la-luna

I'm already in communication with her, as the listing says she only sends to the USA or Belgium. :confused: I mean - I'm used to US only, but....

AND - she answers fast and the UK is now on her list :) Good seller.

The Belgium would be me ;-) still eagerly awaiting it to arrive here (postal services are one more sloooow)

the looks of it intrigue me, the style seems to be one that fits the mood i'm in this time of year

missy

Thank you all for your interest and kind words. I am actually the author and illustrator of this deck (and am new to this forum to boot!) I added more pictures to the etsy account and you can find plenty of photos on our facebook (facebook.com/darkcarnivaltarot), which we update daily.

I'm happy to ship anywhere, so please let me know if you are interested and I will calculate shipping and add your location to our list. Thanks again!

Welcome to the forums, rachelpaul! :D

rachelpaul

The Belgium would be me ;-) still eagerly awaiting it to arrive here (postal services are one more sloooow)

the looks of it intrigue me, the style seems to be one that fits the mood i'm in this time of year

Thanks for your order! It was shipped about a week or so ago. I do hope you enjoy! Please let me know if you encounter any trouble with the delivery.

missy

la-luna, I am very interested in your opinions once you receive this deck! Especially with regard the cardstock. :)

I was in communication with the artist as well, and she had stated the cardstock is high-quality, glossy, thick cardstock -- professionally printed and easy to shuffle.

Also she had said it comes with a custom-painted velvet pouch - would love to see pix! :D

Between that and the size of the cards -- 4" x 6" ... sounds intriguing!

rachelpaul

Welcome to the forums, rachelpaul! :D

Thanks, Missy! And, yes, as you had asked me on etsy: The deck was professionally printed on thick, semigloss cardstock, which can most definitely "take a beating." ;) The cardstock is truly wonderful and professional. I was fortunate enough to be lent a helping hand by a family member in the printing biz and he did an amazing job with the cards....it is dark imagery coupled with bright, beautiful, vibrant color...I could go on, but I will let you judge for yourselves. Please just know that this is my gift to you and that all is much appreciated!

rachelpaul

I was hoping this thread would revive itself in a more organic way, but now with the first few dozen copies of the second edition shipped, my curiosity has peaked, and I just have to ask: I was wondering if any of you fab folks had any feedback about the Dark Carnival Tarot.

You see, the deck was specifically made for the juggalo subculture (a musical movement in America, akin to Greatful Dead-heads), with the first edition distributed at a dark carnivalesque festival. I found that most of the folks who picked up the first edition, however, were new to tarot. A lot of the imagery and particularly the suits (duckets, faygos, axes, and gats) hold significance specifically geared toward the subculture and have a certain edginess and "carnival craziness" to them...

So now I'm interested to hear what those of you, as fabulous tarot collectors and researchers, think of it. This second edition marks the first journey of the deck outside the carnival grounds, which leaves me to wonder: Does the deck have a more universal appeal, outside of the "intended" audience? Is the specific, sometimes vulgar, "urban," dark yet colorful feel offputting in a way? Or do you see it more as a fresh take? Are you connecting with the cards?

Please pull no punches. Honest feedback is greatly appreciated! I'm just thrilled to have the chance to hear the thoughts of seasoned veterans and lovers of tarot.

Oh...and consider me a butterfly on the wall from this point forward. My lips are sealed, unless you have questions. Thanks! ^_^

gregory

Hello !

I got mine yesterday (bad luck, la-luna. }))

I know NOTHING of Juggalo, but that does explain the suit titles, I guess - I must read up...

Sure it has "universal appeal" - whatever that may be - in that I refuse to see a "cult" deck as limited. The card stock, since people ask, is fine; solid, not overshiny - and you won't do much damage shuffling as the cards are too big to shuffle in any of the vicious ways known here...* :D Nice bag, too. Solid; it will hold up.

But what's important to most of us here is whether the "usual meanings" shine through - and yes, sure they do, so it is eminently usable. There are a very lot of Conspicuous TEETH. I like them }) And Death with the heartshaped black hole for the face that isn't is lovely. The Empress doing the washing up is great, too, as is her self-important Emperor. Even the Three of Axes is very standard RWS and not so at the same time ! Not QUITE sure about having the crucifix on the 10 of Axes, but maybe later I will get that...

LOVE the not very L - red book. I can't quote the bit at the start that had me laughing out loud, as the forum censors that word. But think Silicon Dawn book - the same kind of delightful but serious irreverence.

Yeah - I like - but I need to read up on Juggalo now...

*ETA just looked at the book. There is actually a suggestion for shuffling in there. ("How do you shuffle these bitches ?") Awesome; it should work for other decks too and I'd never thought of it. I am a crap shuffler, so....

rachelpaul

Thanks, Gregory. I'm glad you like the teeth! :D

I'm glad the book gave you some insight into shuffling jumbo decks, too. My first deck was a jumbo deck RWS and I must admit I really like larger cards. This artwork is so detailed, I couldn't see making them any smaller than 4x6". I may reprint a poker size deck in the future, but for now, I think the jumbo size really does it justice.

Go 'head and shuffle them "bitches"! LOL. Glad you're finding so much humor in the book. It IS pretty funny. Enjoy learning about all things "juggalo" and thanks so much for the support! :)