any good games to learn the cards?

BlunderingAmateur

Im still learning the cards meanings... would like advise on doing so

barefootlife

Learning the meanings of the cards is a long process, because they all have situational nuances, and it also depends on your personality and how closely you follow the 'traditional' meanings.

But it does help to start with traditional meanings. I have a notebook of meanings, a page for each card. I add to it from the LWB (the booklet that comes with a deck) of every deck I acquire if they have something new or interesting to say. Spend time with your cards. Look at what's on them and what it says to you. How does the card make you feel? Look beyond what the LWB says and see what the card says. Jot that down too. When you do readings, if something interesting comes up, jot it down. Reading other people's interpretations, jot down new thoughts.

You'll end up with a pretty comprehensive look at what the cards mean to you, and the more you write and reread what you've written, the more it sticks in your head. The patterns of symbols will become more recognizable. See where certain images repeat throughout the deck, or certain colors. If you see a moon or a sun in a card, they probably relate back to the major arcana.

It can also help to go through one of the simpler LWB and look for patterns in the cards. No matter the suit, 5s usually mean you're gonna have a bad time, for example, and 6s often bring relief of some sort from said bad time. Knights are action-oriented to some extent. 2s usually involve choices or balance. That kind of thing.

I don't know of any games beyond playing with your cards, really. And writing things down. It genuinely helps you remember better.

blueeyetea

Dusty White's book Easiest Way to Learn the Tarot has quite a few games for learning.

Shanachie05

It's a Big Challenge

I am struggling with learning the meanings as well. I love activities and exercises that help you get a feel for what the cards mean.

I have a few books that I enjoy. They have fun activities that help get you into your deck in different ways. While the games are enjoyable, they also encourage levity. They aren't frivolous or disrespectful, which I appreciate.

I am including links to AE's pages on the books too.

The Tarot Playbook, by Lynda Cowles-This is my favorite, right now.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/playbook/

365 Tarot Activities, by Deanna Anderson-I haven't done much with this one yet, but I love the ideas and plan to do more of the activities.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/365-tarot-activities/

The Back in Time Tarot Book, by Janet Boyer-I just found this book two days ago and brought it home. I am already into chapter 4 and I really love it.
I cannot find an AE page for it, though. If you want to add it, let me know and I can include all of the information you want. So far, I really love this book.

For getting into doing some spreads, I fell in love with:
365 Tarot Spreads, by Sasha Graham. I have done a lot of the spreads in her book in the past and love most of them.
I cannot find the AE page for this either.

celticnoodle

Check out the forum here on A.T. that is titled "Tarot Games & Fun". It is very helpful in learning the cards and fun.

http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Also, in the Reading Exchange forum, there is a "Newbie" one. Everyone is fairly new to learning the cards. It also gives you experience to learning how to give readings to others--and you'll also receive a reading. Just remember FB is ALWAYS a must do. But, this is good too--as it helps you to see the cards also in various ways.

MadeiraDarling

I find that writing about the meanings of each card helps cement it in my mind, and also like meanings are very situational and vague. I being an irreverent type find "blank-type shit" is my basic formula for the most basic card meanings.

So like Hierophant "Religious/traditional type shit"
Two of Cups "Lovey dovey type shit"
Eight Of Wands "Fast shit"

Thinking of stuff in humorous or silly ways helps cement stuff in my mind.

I also find Tarotoracle's "movie spread" method of intuitive reading to be genius and super helpful (he's on youtube and I love his down to earth no nonsense attitude)

Laurelle

I would start with keywords for each card.

Also coloring the cards can help you memorize subconsciously the cards and get your closer. You don't miss small details when you color.

The RWS deck comes with a black book. You can color the pictures in that. In fact, almost all the tarot books that I have offer black and white pictures that you can color in. You can also photocopy the pictures in the books with your printer and create a binder.

ayuryogini

Check out the forum here on A.T. that is titled "Tarot Games & Fun". It is very helpful in learning the cards and fun.

http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Also, in the Reading Exchange forum, there is a "Newbie" one. Everyone is fairly new to learning the cards. It also gives you experience to learning how to give readings to others--and you'll also receive a reading. Just remember FB is ALWAYS a must do. But, this is good too--as it helps you to see the cards also in various ways.

I agree with celticnoodle. The Tarot Games & Fun section here on this forum has a wealth of activities that are fun and helpful.