What is the purpose of laying out a spread?

page of wands

Why can't you just count out the number of cards you need to fill in the slots? Why lay them out?

rwcarter

With spreads, each position has a defined meaning, which helps to focus the meaning of the card that lands in that position. When you lay out cards without positional meanings (i.e., when not using a spread), it's often not so clear what the cards may be referring to.

For example in the 10 card Celtic Cross, each position has a defined meaning. But if you lay out 10 cards without assigning positions to them, it's more difficult to figure out what they mean. They could be read as a story progression (first, next, next... end). There are also other ways to read the cards, and I've seen folks here on Aeclectic who read that way.

Rodney

Barleywine

They provide a narrative framework for telling a story through the cards, typically with a "beginning, middle and end" structure that makes drawing conclusions easier. Quite often, the sitter will validate the "past" aspects of the reading, which lends credibility to the rest of the story.

page of wands

With spreads, each position has a defined meaning, which helps to focus the meaning of the card that lands in that position. When you lay out cards without positional meanings (i.e., when not using a spread), it's often not so clear what the cards may be referring to.

For example in the 10 card Celtic Cross, each position has a defined meaning. But if you lay out 10 cards without assigning positions to them, it's more difficult to figure out what they mean. They could be read as a story progression (first, next, next... end). There are also other ways to read the cards, and I've seen folks here on Aeclectic who read that way.

Rodney

but the spreads will say a number for each placement. it will say 1. question and you can see where that position is, etc. why can't you just deal out 1 card and that is for the question, and not put it into position?

page of wands

They provide a narrative framework for telling a story through the cards, typically with a "beginning, middle and end" structure that makes drawing conclusions easier. Quite often, the sitter will validate the "past" aspects of the reading, which lends credibility to the rest of the story.

i am not reading for someone though. does it make a difference when it is just for me?

Barleywine

i am not reading for someone though. does it make a difference when it is just for me?

Only if it makes more sense to you that way than free-form. Otherwise it doesn't make a difference. You can configure and read the cards any way you like.

page of wands

Only if it makes more sense to you that way than free-form. Otherwise it doesn't make a difference. You can configure and read the cards any way you like.

ok. maybe it would be good if i need the cards better and i could see combos from spreading out the cards

Barleywine

ok. maybe it would be good if i need the cards better and i could see combos from spreading out the cards

I think that's the right idea. Certain cards will usually stand out from the rest (for example, trump cards or court cards), and the others will kind of coalesce around those focus card(s) in meaningful ways, allowing you to get combined value out of them. If there are two or more main themes, you would have to look at where they overlap, and try to figure out which is more important. This is basically how I read the Lenormand Grand Tableau, but tarot readings are usually much more narrowly focused, which is why I like spreads.

rwcarter

but the spreads will say a number for each placement. it will say 1. question and you can see where that position is, etc. why can't you just deal out 1 card and that is for the question, and not put it into position?
:confused: If the first card you put down is for the question, then that card has a positional meaning whether the spread defines it as such or you define it as such when you lay down the card. Either way you're using a spread.

Unless I'm not understanding what you're asking. If you don't like the structure of using predefined spreads and would rather create them on the fly as you do your reading, you're still using a spread.

Rodney

page of wands

:confused: If the first card you put down is for the question, then that card has a positional meaning whether the spread defines it as such or you define it as such when you lay down the card. Either way you're using a spread.

Unless I'm not understanding what you're asking. If you don't like the structure of using predefined spreads and would rather create them on the fly as you do your reading, you're still using a spread.

Rodney

ok thank you. i just meant the physical act of laying the cards out