Bâtons in English?

Rusty Neon

This is interesting ...

ihcoyc said:

I just get tired of typing â (that makes â) all the time.

I guess I've been lucky to have a bilingual English-French keyboard all this time. In fact, I've never heard about HTML codes for international accent marks until today.

http://www.starr.net/is/type/htmlcodes.html

By the way, I've previously been puzzled by the code &nbsp that comes up on other people's posts on yahoo groups and didn't know, until today, that that was HTML code for "no break space".

Shalott

ë ü ß Æ

Rock on!

Lee

I'd vote for Rods. I always liked the Aquarian and Morgan-Greer decks for that very reason, 'cause they use Rods.

-- Lee

Diana

Perhaps they should not be translated....

I mean, Deniers aren't Coins either.

There are a lot of French words used in the English language and vice-versa. Why not Tarot words as well?

Major Tom

Diana said:

There are a lot of French words used in the English language and vice-versa. Why not Tarot words as well?

Perhaps they shouldn't be translated but to reach the single language native English speaker all around the planet, then they will need to be anglicised.

I call this suite batons. Think also of the conductor's baton. Don't forget the policeman's baton. The cheerleader's baton is quite fetching. ;) The Drum Major also carries a baton. Remember General Patton's baton? In school, we might have called it the teacher's pointer, but it was a baton. Batons are in use throughout the world.

Indeed, I agree with RustyNeon.

Originally posted by RustyNeon(In English, my personal preference is to call the Marseilles suits Batons, Swords, Coins, and Cups in English.)

Unless someone can suggest something better. ;)

I suppose we could try Deniers as Dollars or Pounds or Euros? :joke: Most won't make the connection to a recognised currency. :laugh: Coins is close enough. :) Though, in some places, I have heard deniers used as the word for money...

Coinage? :laugh: :laugh:

kwaw

Diana said:

Well Wands are a type of Baton, but I agree with the previous poster about Denier being called Pentacles. Don't see why though you say above that Deniers aren't coins.

Denier:
NOUN: A small coin of varying composition and value current in western Europe from the eighth century until the French Revolution. b. Archaic A small, trifling sum.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English denere, a coin, from Old French dener, from Latin dnrius. See denarius.

Denier is a perfectly good, albeit archaic, [anglo-french] English word, meaning coin; and can be found in dictionaries of Middle English from the 13th century on.

Kwaw

Diana

Major Tom said:
Perhaps they shouldn't be translated but to reach the single language native English speaker all around the planet, then they will need to be anglicised.

All cooks all over the world refer to the little snack before the meal as an "hors d'oeuvre". No-one translated it as an "outside-of-the-work." And the head cooks even call themselves "chefs". They don't call themselves "chiefs".

Diplomats call their replacement a "chargé d'affaires". They never refer to him/her as Charged Business.

Road officials have never translated "cul de sac" as "ass bag".

I don't agree that these four very specific words from the Tarot of Marseilles need to be anglisised. Why? Why can't they just keep their original names? They are charged with meaning which loses their sense in English.

It's like translating "Le Mat" into "The Fool". EEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even translating "Le Pendu", by the "Hanged Man"..... is wrong. There is no mention of any man in the French version.

Let's just use the words that were given to us. They are our inheritance.

10 de Batons. No need to bother about the circonflexe.
10 de Coupes
10 de Deniers
10 d'Epees. No need to bother about the accent either.

Four little words. Easy to remember, easy to spell. Surely it's not too hard, even for someone who is NOT a linguist?

Are the English speakers incapable of learning a few foreign words? Or are they just flexing their linguistic imperialistic muscles ????? (Methinks it is the latter.)

Diana

kwaw said:
Well Wands are a type of Baton, but I agree with the previous poster about Denier being called Pentacles. Don't see why though you say above that Deniers aren't coins.

Denier:
NOUN: A small coin of varying composition and value current in western Europe from the eighth century until the French Revolution. b. Archaic A small, trifling sum.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English denere, a coin, from Old French dener, from Latin dnrius. See denarius.

Denier is a perfectly good, albeit archaic, [anglo-french] English word, meaning coin; and can be found in dictionaries of Middle English from the 13th century on.

Kwaw

Yes, I agree that Coin is not a bad translation.

But as, in the Middle Ages, even in English they used Deniers.... let's just use Denier and not bother with the translating.

Anna

I see what you mean Diana.

It would be like caling a pianoforte a "soft-loud" which would just be silly, even though it is an accurate translation (I think).