sense8

Teheuti

Someone in my LGBT circle of friends was upset about the depiction of the AIDS epidemic in the show (they lived through it in SanFran so their viewpoint is understandable).
The AIDS part is more about the difficulty getting clean, affordable medications in Africa today. It has nothing to do with SF in the 80s.

I also read that the characters are two-dimensional. To some degree, yes, but I doubt if those reviewers had seen all 12 episodes. Each has their story which we are only beginning to uncover in Season 1.

And most reviewers are missing the whole empathy aspect of their psychic connection.

It's not a perfect show but its still fascinating and pushes numerous intriguing boundaries.

Shade

The reviews aren't great but I think it is wonderful. Makes you wonder who writes the reviews?

This Hemingway quote springs to mind:

"Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors."

Shade

Thank you for the tip-off about this, I really enjoyed the first episode. I feel like the Wachowskis' work is often unfairly panned (either Matrix sequel,cloud atlas, etc) because it's a little too deep or at least willing to not take the most obvious path from A to B.

Ziev

OOoo, I had put this in my queue and forgot about it. Now I'm really excited to check it out. Thanks!

seedcake

Thank you for the tip-off about this, I really enjoyed the first episode. I feel like the Wachowskis' work is often unfairly panned (either Matrix sequel,cloud atlas, etc) because it's a little too deep or at least willing to not take the most obvious path from A to B.

I agree, and I'm a person who is not the fan of Wachowski's. I was checking their films but with Speed Racer they used so many special effects which were so distracting from the story. They've done the same with Jupiter Ascending but this one, I really liked. I'm such a sucker for huge spaceships and whole space opera manner. But still, it had a lot of flaws. But with sense8 I'm very satisfied - they really can do justice for a complicated plot without special many effects. It's great that they found making a series a new way of their expression. I'm after thrid episode and I believe Wachowski's with Straczynski are going to show something really juicy.

And about Tarot references - in the second episode one of the characters was in a shop. He looked at the magazines' stand. One of the titles was "Psychic" with "Mastering the Tarot" on the cover.

Shade

I agree, and I'm a person who is not the fan of Wachowski's. I was checking their films but with Speed Racer they used so many special effects which were so distracting from the story. They've done the same with Jupiter Ascending but this one, I really liked.

Definitely solid points that I conveniently forgot.

I have heard that Speed Racer wasn't good and in all fairness, while I enjoyed Jupiter Ascending it was a bit of a CGI blizzard at times.

Teheuti

they used so many special effects which were so distracting from the story. They've done the same with Jupiter Ascending but this one, I really liked. . . .I believe Wachowski's with Straczynski are going to show something really juicy.
I was very disappointed in Jupiter Ascending. I don't know what they were going for with that one. sense8 is not afraid of dealing with a lot of interesting issues - some of the conversations later in the series are fascinating in their own right - as if you were having a conversation with the film creators themselves about things that interest them.

And about Tarot references - in the second episode one of the characters was in a shop. He looked at the magazines' stand. One of the titles was "Psychic" with "Mastering the Tarot" on the cover.
I forgot about that one!

seedcake

I was very disappointed in Jupiter Ascending. I don't know what they were going for with that one. sense8 is not afraid of dealing with a lot of interesting issues - some of the conversations later in the series are fascinating in their own right - as if you were having a conversation with the film creators themselves about things that interest them.

I'm awful, give me a film with spaceships flying all over the Universe - me happy as a little kid. But honestly, concepts which they used in Jupiter Ascending are very close to me but the truth is, Wachowski's could made it better with changed cast (poiting at Jupiter) and less fighting scenes (they took so much time which could be used to show ideas behind the action).

I really believe that Wachowski's will do great job with the series. But on the other hand, I hope someone is stopping them from using too much CGI. When they use it less, their ideas are getting more substance.

I forgot about that one!

I'm after six episodes and didn't notice the one you mentioned. I should rewatch.

littlethings

I've watched the first three episodes, and I'm really enjoying it. I did see the magazine that was mentioned, but I don't think I would have noticed it if I hadn't read about it here. It was pretty quick.

Thank you for posting about this show :)