wood tarot decks

minotaur

What (if any) wood tarot decks are currently available? Either complete decks or majors only are fine. I have found the Wooden Tarot by Andy Swartz but is anyone aware of any others?

Atalanta

I've never heard of any but it's an intriguing idea. What sort of wood is usually used?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Seldes Katne

I'm aware of The Pirate Tarot, but it's rare and rather expensive.

A quick Internet search turned up The Star Wars Tarot Wood Edition, but this is the first I've seen of this one.

Edit: the Star Wars Tarot isn't a deck, it's an art print on wood. My apologies. (It jolly well should be a deck, though....)

gregory

There is the wooden Kashmiri - my holy grail of tarot.

http://www.alchemywebsite.com/tarot/Kashmir.html

I want it more than you will ever know ! But there are only 8 in the whole world. I was offered one by the artist once - but I couldn't afford it. I have met one in person - and my desire only grew...

There are those ones with decoupage images applied by "Renal" - I have a tiny one; there were many others around at that time.

And I also have an aspen-wood one of the Waite-Smith. The last I heard the creator was still doing TdMs, but I cannot be sure; certainly their website is no more. I must admit it doesn't shuffle well !

feynrir

What (if any) wood tarot decks are currently available? Either complete decks or majors only are fine. I have found the Wooden Tarot by Andy Swartz but is anyone aware of any others?

The Wooden Tarot by AL Schwartz is not made out of wood; it is made up of paintings that were painted on wood. The artist also notes this on his Etsy shop, and it is likely on his site as well. Seems to be common confusion.

Are you looking for decks that are made OF wood, or were painted onto wood?

Tarotwolf

I put up a post a couple years ago about NaturalTarot's wood tarot decks. I just tried searching for the website and it looks like it's gone. The deck I bought is made of birch, I believe. It's a 78 card Jean Dodal Marseilles as recreated by Flornoy. The deck shuffles beautifully.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 150

Tarotwolf

I was going to share an exciting purchase from last month but didn't get around to it. So here it is, the Tarot D'Argolance by Pinot. The cards are individually hand-painted on hardboard. Besides wood veneer, it's the closest thing to painting on wood that I have in tarot. The deck came in it's own leather lined wood case with inset leather bound book. The page shown in the attached photo is an original hand-illuminated cover page to the book. The illuminated paintings on the cards in this set are all slightly different from the illustrations on the regular issue printed decks.

How this set came to be in the hands of an organic farmer down south is beyond me. In the e-bay listing they even said they pried open the lock on the case to see what was inside!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 163

minotaur

Thank you for the replies. I am looking for tarot that is actually on wood.

gregory

Naturalwoods were the people who did my Waite-Smith.

Someone here just managed to buy the Pirate majors, so you could try an ISO in trading. I bought my wooden one from someone here...