mythic tarot- 8 of wands

gorgeousbutterfly

Anybody noticed the all seeing eye on the ship? what is that doing there?!

Sulis

I don't have this deck any more, I gave it away years ago so forgive me if I'm completely wrong.

I have a feeling that the ship is supposed to be The Argo from the myth of Jason and the Argonauts. The ship was made with the help and blessing of the Goddess Hera and the prow was meant to be made from magical wood which could speak and make prophesies.
I think that they eye is somehow to do with that.... Maybe the as the prow of the ship can see into the future this is represented by an eye.

elvenstar

From http://handle.tamu.edu/1969.1/5798

[...]the eyes of ancient ships marked the presence of a supernatural consciousness that guided the ship and helped to avoid hazards. Studies of eye representations on Archaic and Classical Greek domestic articles and parallels in architectural decoration suggest that ship eyes may have also worked as apotropaions to counter forces such as envy. As early as the 5th century BC Greek and Latin authors attest to a fear and understanding of envy's destructive power, which was believed to attack through the actions of both gods and mortals. Theories related to the use of eyes as apotropaions that could counter envy are presented based on analysis of material from the Archaic and Classical Periods. Links are made between Hellenistic and Roman mariners and their fear of this force, which was expressed in their use of devices that functioned to protect them from its ill effects. It is possible that ship eyes in ancient Greece served as both epiphanies and apotropaions used to counter envy.

More about the evil eye:
http://www.greekspider.com/superstitions/greek_superstitions9.htm

This is still widely believed, eye charms (usually a little glass bead with the drawing of an eye on it) are very common and so is the practice of removing the effect. It's something like an energy clearing or healing of sorts.

rwcarter

Jason and his crew voyage away from Colchis after successfully escaping from King Aeetes. The Argo is in full sail, with eight flaming wands lined up on its deck. Dolphins play in the ship’s wake.

Dolphin
  • represents good fortune
  • salvation, transformation, speed
Overview
  • a release of creative energy after a period of anxieties and struggles
  • a time when delays and setbacks seem to be past and the future looks bright and exciting
  • after facing conflict, which stimulates the imagination, and seeing it through, one often finds that oneself in a period of smooth sailing where plans proceed toward the goal at a rapid rate
  • a feeling of buoyancy and confidence, which seems to be gained through triumphing over obstacles
  • after meeting the challenges of competition and self-doubt, one experiences renewed energy
  • there’s a relationship between the workings of the creative imagination and the presence of healthy conflict in one’s life
  • restriction and challenge are necessary in order to enjoy the exciting flow of energy Jason and his crew feel as they sail home
  • the time is right for purposeful activity
  • the suggestion that new undertakings will be successful
  • one must take advantage of productive phases when they occur, because they will not last
Random Thoughts
  • being on the “home stretch” of a creative endeavor
  • everything seems to be going one’s way
  • smooth sailing

The keyword/phrase I came up with in my workbook on 14 Mar 92 was "smooth sailing".

Rodney

rwcarter

gorgeousbutterfly said:
Anybody noticed the all seeing eye on the ship? what is that doing there?!
According to my various books on Greek Mythology, Athene added a beam to the prow of the Argo made from a branch of a magical talking oak tree from the holy forest of Zeus.

The eye represents omniscience, intuitive vision, knowledge, enlightenment, protection, stability and fixity of purpose.

Rodney